58(10) Terminated?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when Amtrak terminates service are they responsible for placing the passengers in a hotel or are the passengers on their own? I ask as I've never rode on Amtrak however I plan on traveling soon.

So when Amtrak terminates service are they responsible for placing the passengers in a hotel or are the passengers on their own? I ask as I've never rode on Amtrak however I plan on traveling soon.

You can call 1-800-USA-RAIL and ask one of their customer service folks, if if your station is still staffed, they can tell you too.

From what I've found out, 58 hit a big truck and was towed back to New Orleans. I'm just wondering why it wasn't recrewed and given new engines and sent on its way, several hours late, even with freight engines.

Now there will be an extra trainset in NOL.

jb

From what I've found out, 58 hit a big truck and was towed back to New Orleans. I'm just wondering why it wasn't recrewed and given new engines and sent on its way, several hours late, even with freight engines.

Now there will be an extra trainset in NOL.

jb
It’s hard to say, but there seem to be a bunch of unknowns still. Was there damage to any of the cars and would they be able to support passenger services (lavs, running water, AC, etc)? Was the locomotive involved able to produce HEP, or even get over the road (under it’s own power or being pulled)? Did they have an extra locomotive that was in working order? (I know they have the shops there, but Amtrak seems to be running fairly light on loco’s in good repair) Did they have the crews to make all this happen? They also have the car shop in New Orleans, so any needed repairs could easily happen there.

I would love to see more info about the incident and how bad the impact was.

However, there are currently numerous P42s being stored in New Orleans due to the reduced service levels so they could have used one of those.

If an engine is “stored,” it will take days, if not weeks to get it ready for service. Many of them probably require lengthy inspections and/or parts overhaul to be legal to run in service again. Amtrak typically stores equipment when they are due for expensive overhauls (such as brake systems or other major components), which is why they store them in the first place. If it was just a one-hour job to get it ready, there wouldn’t really be a need to store it. Just let it sit idle.

Back