59 on time performance and other CoNV questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonijustine

Train Attendant
I am planning a trip to Vicksburg for the Independence Day weekend. It just happens to be the weekend before I turn the big 4-0, and today, I thought that maybe I would celebrate my early birthday and some other good stuff that is happening at work, by taking Amtrak instead of driving the 10+ hours. I blame it on the fact that I heard the Willie Nelson version of The City of New Orleans while at the store...

I am trying to see if I can make it work.

I am looking at taking 59 into Jackson. I will be travelling on a Saturday, and the schedule has the train getting in at 11:12 am. The local rental car office closes at 1:00 pm. Amtrak says that the on-time performance is just over 50% for April and around 66% for all year.

Do you think I have enough time to get to the rental car agency before it closes? I do have alternatives out at the airport, but it would require a taxi/Uber ride.

Also, I am looking at getting on and off in Effingham, which is a flag stop. I have never done a flag stop before. Do I need to do anything different than just show up a bit early?

Anything else you think I should know about this route?

Call the rental car office and talk with them directly. Often they will extend hours a bit if they know a customer is coming in. They may also be able to make alternate arrangements such as, for example, parking the car at a nearby store and leaving the keys and paperwork with the clerk. Not all offices will do this, true, but some will. It's worth asking.

As regards Effingham: Be sure that your reservation is in the system and that you have your tickets so the crew will know to expect you. Be on the platform where the engineer can see you before the scheduled train time. If the train is early it's supposed to wait "for time", even at a flag stop, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks for this. I hadn't thought of it, and this may work. The Jackson station is manned, and they have drop off service, so maybe they would be amendable to dropping it off at the station if we will be late.

Since most rental car locations are agencies of the Rental Car company, you will find varying level of cooperation. If possible try to talk with the manager and/or owner since they may be more flexible than the staff.

Well, that doesn't look too terrible on the time. It could still work.

My husband just got home and I talked with him about my idea and he is in full support. Looks like a ride on the rails will be forthcoming!

Back