62091 on another train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
ARROW reorts 62091 as working Train 40 today. I'm hoping it will come back to Florida sometine soon. B)

I personally don't care what train its on as long as its not the Cardial or Boston Section of the LSL (Sorry Jon), as I get a better chance of seeing it. I hope it can make it on #97 or #98 again next month, so I can go inside.

Steve4031 said:
What ind of car is 62091? And why is it significant that it is on 40 today? Just curious, thats all.
Steve,

62091 is a Viewliner sleeper car. What makes it significant is the fact that it was one of two prototypes built by Beach Grove for testing, prior to the actual purchase of the 50 production Viewliner sleepers. The second prototype has basically dropped off the radar screen.

It had been mothballed for a few years, only resurfacing during 2002 when Amtrak was faced with that severe equipment shortage. Last we had heard the car was out for some major repairs for the last few months, so this may be an indication that it has returned to revenue service.

The car is still unique in its design by comparison to the rest of the fleet, so some of the guys are hoping to set foot in what could be considered the mother of the Viewliner fleet.

AlanB said:
Steve4031 said:
What ind of car is 62091?  And why is it significant that it is on 40 today? Just curious, thats all.
Steve,

62091 is a Viewliner sleeper car. What makes it significant is the fact that it was one of two prototypes built by Beach Grove for testing, prior to the actual purchase of the 50 production Viewliner sleepers. The second prototype has basically dropped off the radar screen.

It had been mothballed for a few years, only resurfacing during 2002 when Amtrak was faced with that severe equipment shortage. Last we had heard the car was out for some major repairs for the last few months, so this may be an indication that it has returned to revenue service.

The car is still unique in its design by comparison to the rest of the fleet, so some of the guys are hoping to set foot in what could be considered the mother of the Viewliner fleet.
2300 really is the forefather for the fleet, as its vestibule doors are more like the production ones, I'm glad I've seen and photographed the car, but didn't try to get in. I hope to see it on my upcoming March train trip again, is someone going to check NYP for it?

Viewliner said:
2300 really is the forefather for the fleet, as its vestibule doors are more like the production ones, I'm glad I've seen and photographed the car, but didn't try to get in.
That's why I called 62091 "mommy". :lol: :D :)

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
2300 really is the forefather for the fleet, as its vestibule doors are more like the production ones, I'm glad I've seen and photographed the car, but didn't try to get in.
That's why I called 62091 "mommy". :lol: :D :)
Makes Sense. :lol:

OK I got a report on 2300 from my SFa source today, he said the most recent listing has it stored at DPF. Niether one of us knew that code, but we are guessing that it's Bear since Beech Grove's code is BEE.

battalion51 said:
OK I got a report on 2300 from my SFa source today, he said the most recent listing has it stored at DPF. Niether one of us knew that code, but we are guessing that it's Bear since Beech Grove's code is BEE.
Its Bear, I remember Joe telling me, thanks.

What Year was it stored, 1996?

Did 62091 run revenue?

Yes, he said he remembers the car being listed as Line number 4000, so that would indicate revenue service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back