Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acela150

Super Buff
Food service on 66?? I'm boarding at PHL and going to BOS is there a cut off point where the LSA will take a break for some Z's? If their's no service after a Midnight I'll grab some food at Mickey D's. While it's not exactly perfect it's better then nothing and will keep me tide over till I can eat a breakfast sandwhich or something like that in the morning on 66. Is OJ and AJ stuff like that included in my BC ticket? :help:

Thanks,

Steve

Going down the list:

-I think service cuts from midnight to 6 AM. That's "think", not "know"...the last time I was on this train overnight was a couple of years ago.

-I'm pretty sure you could get juice with BC. I know I've done milk before.

Going down the list:

-I think service cuts from midnight to 6 AM. That's "think", not "know"...the last time I was on this train overnight was a couple of years ago.

-I'm pretty sure you could get juice with BC. I know I've done milk before.
Thanks! :) Looks like good ole' Mickey D's will be getting my money since it's the only place that's open where you can get a "meal" at that time a night at PHL. :( That or Dunkin' Donuts. -_- I'm not really a fan of Donuts at 1130pm. :huh: I'll bring some snackage too. Incase I can't catch some Z's. :D

I may be wrong, but I didn't think the cafe closed on 66 or 67! After all, there are stops (and new passengers) every 10-30 minutes!
rolleyes.gif
And if it closed from midnight to 7 AM - that's most of the run!

I know when I took 66 last year, I got a breakfast sandwich well before 6 AM. (66 arrives KIN @ 6:20.)

I'm more of a Krispy Kreme guy. :cool: Sadly back around I think 2004 (just a guess) they closed the KK's around the Philly area. But a few months ago KK opened a new store in the Fox Chase area of Philly. I kill for their Donuts and I've yet to be there! :eek: Thanks for the friendly reminder to go! :lol: :p Maybe I'll luck out and grab a meal at Friday's on the Ben Franklin Parkway with my brother or some Real meal before I leave. I leave in April. I have a while to go! But it's nice to know this stuff ahead of time! That way I'm not saying awwwww son of a gun when I get on the train. :wacko:

I may be wrong, but I didn't think the cafe closed on 66 or 67! After all, there are stops (and new passengers) every 10-30 minutes!
rolleyes.gif

I know when I took 66 last year, I got a breakfast sandwich well before 6 AM. (66 arrives KIN @ 6:20.)
Correct, the cafe doesn't close -- I rode 66 BC, PHL-NHV eight days ago, and the cafe attendant never slept and was very willing to get me drinks at about 3am as if this were totally normal. (The cafe attendant didn't stand up the whole trip, but he sat at the table nearest the cafe.)

rolleyes.gif

Correct, the cafe doesn't close -- I rode 66 BC, PHL-NHV eight days ago, and the cafe attendant never slept and was very willing to get me drinks at about 3am as if this were totally normal. (The cafe attendant didn't stand up the whole trip, but he sat at the table nearest the cafe.)
Not supposed to close at least. It's one of the few Amtrak trains that offers Am-Food into the witching hours....

Oh how I wish for the return of a sleeper.......Lemmie fantasize, Marriott/Holiday Inn/Hilton/Anyone buys four sleepers, outfits them accordingly, tags them on the end of 66 and 67, and Amtrak now offers sleepers on 66, and 67. I said "fantasize" OK? How nice would that be? Screw the operating cost/benefit ratios, if done right, the PR alone could cover a percentage of the losses. ROI? Dunno, hard to calculate some intangibles, but I guess I have to believe that somebody, somewhere has run the numbers for something like this, and they weren't good.

Oh well, back to the real world.............( I just can't let this go can I? I know, therapy is next)

Cafe is definitely open in PVD on the 66. I rode the 66 on Saturday and there was also a 15ish minute dwell in PVD. That is pretty typical. It often arrives 10-20 minutes early.

Oh how I wish for the return of a sleeper.......Lemmie fantasize, Marriott/Holiday Inn/Hilton/Anyone buys four sleepers, outfits them accordingly, tags them on the end of 66 and 67, and Amtrak now offers sleepers on 66, and 67. I said "fantasize" OK? How nice would that be? Screw the operating cost/benefit ratios, if done right, the PR alone could cover a percentage of the losses. ROI? Dunno, hard to calculate some intangibles, but I guess I have to believe that somebody, somewhere has run the numbers for something like this, and they weren't good.

Oh well, back to the real world.............( I just can't let this go can I? I know, therapy is next)
My impression was that the sleeper on the Night Owl sold out regularly. If anything, the rates weren't high enough to maximize income. I don't even live on the east coast and I agree that 66 and 67 need a sleeper.

Oh how I wish for the return of a sleeper.......Lemmie fantasize, ... Hilton ... buys four sleepers, outfits them accordingly, tags them on the end of 66 and 67, and Amtrak now offers sleepers on 66, and 67. I said "fantasize" OK? How nice would that be?
And because their branded Hilton, we earn both HHonor points and AGR points!
mosking.gif
(End of fantasy)

I was under the impression that the Cafe closed for a while around NYC. The layover there used to be a bit longer than one hour (I think it was about 90 minutes the one time I took the Nite Owl south).

I think the only reason that 66/67 doesn't have a sleeper is because of Amtrak's perpetual equipment shortage. With that said, I'd be surprised if they couldn't work out an arrangement with somebody to stick a sleeper on there. If it's just the car that's an issue, on that particular run I'd think you could work out a deal to just have a "middle" and a "high" bucket to cover the cost of capital.

I was under the impression that the Cafe closed for a while around NYC. The layover there used to be a bit longer than one hour (I think it was about 90 minutes the one time I took the Nite Owl south).

I think the only reason that 66/67 doesn't have a sleeper is because of Amtrak's perpetual equipment shortage. With that said, I'd be surprised if they couldn't work out an arrangement with somebody to stick a sleeper on there. If it's just the car that's an issue, on that particular run I'd think you could work out a deal to just have a "middle" and a "high" bucket to cover the cost of capital.
My fantasy envisions an all roomette or slumbercoach, with maybe just one ADA capable room, two showers, and a small lounge at one end, with complimentary soft drinks, water, juice, a soda. Throw in WiFi, and you've captured more business travelers than you could service. Make it proprietary to 66-67, like the PPC's are to the Starlate. A sleeper attendant is not necessary, unless the Transportation Communications International Union requires it. (Conductor could handle any handicap travelers, and all other travelers fend for themselves, but I guess if it were a "sponsored sleeper" [Mariott, HI, Hilton] they'd want an attendant on board. Just let me win the Mega-millions once, just once!)

Cafe will close at NHV (and will not reopen till after departure even when no engine change :angry2) and for some time ipon arrival into NYP (usually no more than 20 min).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back