8/16-8/17 #11

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Jamie-

Service Attendant
Just got back from taking the #11 from PDX-SIM and wanted to mention an issue that we had. Our dining car had some kind of water leak which severely impacted food service. Lunch on day 1 was canceled and dinner was limited to sleeping car pax only. Thankfully we were in a sleeper, but the food service at dinner was limited even more. The only items available were the chicken, veggie pasta, and a couple things on the kids menu. Unknown to us at the time, what little choices were available had their portions cut in half. Instead of the full 1/2 chicken, it was only a leg and thigh. My pasta, which was supposed to be a full bowlfull, was more like 10-15 penne pieces with some sauce on top. Both my boyfriend and I were still quite hungry after we were finished. Day 2, breakfast in the diner was gone by 9am. Thankfully the Parlor Car still had some continentals left. While enjoying breakfast we overheard the chef from the diner asking for the Parlor Car's mac-n-cheese. The steward said that he only had 12, but the chef said they could make that 24. That's how we figured out they were rationing the food. Lunch was once again canceled in the diner after all and we missed what was available in the Parlor Car. Dinner, once again, was limited to Sleeping car pax only. We filled up with water at SLO so they opened dinner early and were able to serve most of the menu before running into the water issue. At some point in the afternoon they were able to get some of the really long subs from Subway brought in for the coach pax. The whole situation was kind of crappy. I just wish I had been able to get some snacks before boarding.

Last edited by a moderator:
you could have gotten snacks from the SSL(sight seer lounge) which has a snack bar down stairs.
But why should she have to pay for snacks from the SSL when she was expecting to have full meals included with the sleeper?

To the OP, I would definitely call amtrak customer relations and ask for compensation in the form of a voucher for the reduced meals. If there is one thing that makes me cranky, it is going hungry or missing meals. :wacko:

I agree with Wolverine....the OP should call Amtrak and asked for some kind of compensation since that happened....personally if I was in that sitch, I would indeed go to the SSL snack bar and get some small thing...but I'd be mad too if I cant have a proper dinner in the diner for a super long time in a long journey like that, even if I am in coach.

We tried going to the SSL, but the door to the cafe was closed and padlocked. Not sure if he was restocking or what. We were talking to one of the other sleeper pax and she was telling us how she went over there at some point to buy some juice and got verbally attacked by the coach pax in the SSL. They were upset that a sleeper pax was "stealing their food".

We were talking to one of the other sleeper pax and she was telling us how she went over there at some point to buy some juice and got verbally attacked by the coach pax in the SSL. They were upset that a sleeper pax was "stealing their food".
How did the coach passengers know that she was a sleeping car passenger - if she was buying juice?
huh.gif
Did she wear a big sign around her neck?
huh.gif

Please call Amtrak and let them know about the entire situation. Be sure to cover all aspects of the disruption of advertised service including the extremely limited selection, covert portion reductions, abbreviated meal schedule, and absence of ready alternatives. Then come back to let us know how you were compensated.

Which day were you on 11? We boarded in PDX yesterday the 18th and rode it thru EMY this morning. Ate dinner in the PPC and breakfast in the diner, no problems.

Doh! I'm an idiot, the date is in the subject line. :blush:

I hope this type of thing is a one off random situation. Even so, gives us something to think about when packing. It's a good thing no one of the train was diabetic..if so Amtrak would have a hairy mess on their hands (the situation, not the diabetic) :giggle: I'll be on the CZ next week and will make sure I bring some camping provisions (trail mix, beef jerky, Powerbars) to keep me satiated should this happen on that train

I hope this type of thing is a one off random situation. Even so, gives us something to think about when packing. It's a good thing no one of the train was diabetic..if so Amtrak would have a hairy mess on their hands (the situation, not the diabetic) :giggle: I'll be on the CZ next week and will make sure I bring some camping provisions (trail mix, beef jerky, Powerbars) to keep me satiated should this happen on that train

My guess is that they have a small handful of meals stowed away (2-4) just in case there is a medical problem.

I hope this type of thing is a one off random situation. Even so, gives us something to think about when packing. It's a good thing no one of the train was diabetic..if so Amtrak would have a hairy mess on their hands (the situation, not the diabetic)
mosking.gif
I'll be on the CZ next week and will make sure I bring some camping provisions (trail mix, beef jerky, Powerbars) to keep me satiated should this happen on that train
Generally a good idea to drag a few things along...you never know.

Also had the problem on the W/B SWC about six months ago. At the ABQ stop the water line blew in the diner.

They called ahead to KFC at out next stop at Gallup, NM. Dinner provided for the sleep pax. However to avoid upsetting the coach folks they

announced to the sleepers to return to their car where they provided food requesting we don't go in the SSL.

Next morning for breakfast it was fruit and pastry.

I was on the 8 hour late SWC #4 earlier this week -- and since I was in coach I only got a free sandwich and BBQ chips. The sleeper folks got a full dinner. I asked if I could get the full dinner if I paid for it and got a very rude "NO" from the LSA in the diner. I don't get it... I am sure they had a dinner or two they could still sell and make more money for Amtrak. Oh well! The sandwich wasnt very good -- so I ended up getting a hot dog from the SSL.

Just got back from taking the #11 from PDX-SIM and wanted to mention an issue that we had. Our dining car had some kind of water leak which severely impacted food service. Lunch on day 1 was canceled and dinner was limited to sleeping car pax only. Thankfully we were in a sleeper, but the food service at dinner was limited even more. The only items available were the chicken, veggie pasta, and a couple things on the kids menu. Unknown to us at the time, what little choices were available had their portions cut in half. Instead of the full 1/2 chicken, it was only a leg and thigh. My pasta, which was supposed to be a full bowlfull, was more like 10-15 penne pieces with some sauce on top. Both my boyfriend and I were still quite hungry after we were finished. Day 2, breakfast in the diner was gone by 9am. Thankfully the Parlor Car still had some continentals left. While enjoying breakfast we overheard the chef from the diner asking for the Parlor Car's mac-n-cheese. The steward said that he only had 12, but the chef said they could make that 24. That's how we figured out they were rationing the food. Lunch was once again canceled in the diner after all and we missed what was available in the Parlor Car. Dinner, once again, was limited to Sleeping car pax only. We filled up with water at SLO so they opened dinner early and were able to serve most of the menu before running into the water issue. At some point in the afternoon they were able to get some of the really long subs from Subway brought in for the coach pax. The whole situation was kind of crappy. I just wish I had been able to get some snacks before boarding.
I just looked at the arrival time of train 11 in LA on the second day of this trip and it arrived at 8:50 PM; one day early. You say that once during the trip they bought sandwiches from Subway on board. They could have made several food stops along the way and brought fast food on board, or restocked the lounge car if its supply was depleted because of the problems with the dining car. Even if that caused the train to be late, it would not have been anywhere near as late as some of the delays CZ passengers endure. Earlier this summer on train 27, which was horribly late into Spokane, they bussed us Spokane to Klamath Falls. Wghen we got to the Pasco station in route, the station had boxes of snacks and beverages to keep us going. We had another meal stop in route. It also sounds like communication was badly lacking on what was happening and what to expect as the trip progressed. If they chose not to make the annoucements by general intercom, they could have done them by sleeping car intercoms or SCA cabin to cabin annoucements.

who remembers when the cs was "brian's train"? doesn't he still work for amtrak somewhere? i think he would have fixed the problem to customer satisfaction quickly. amtrak may not be able to use its motto "at least we are better than the airlines" much longer

who remembers when the cs was "brian's train"? doesn't he still work for amtrak somewhere? i think he would have fixed the problem to customer satisfaction quickly. amtrak may not be able to use its motto "at least we are better than the airlines" much longer
We need to remember that most of this equipment is very old. I'm a 1951 model and my equipemt is always in need of repair or medication. :lol: Amtrak needs some new equipment :help: something younger than me. :giggle:

We need to remember that most of this equipment is very old. I'm a 1951 model and my equipemt is always in need of repair or medication. :lol: Amtrak needs some new equipment :help: something younger than me. :giggle:
:hi: Outstanding! :lol: :lol: :lol: Im a 1944 model and we need even more medicint,TLC and repairs/rehab! :help: Like an old steamer, not as fast as back in the day but still running and not dead yet! ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Im a 1944 model and we need even more medicint,TLC and repairs/rehab! :help: Like an old steamer, not as fast as back in the day but still running and not dead yet! ;)
I heard that some of the rivets are missing, the boiler sprung a leak a few times, and the bell doesn't always work - but you do make a lot of noise when starting to move!
tongue.gif

We were talking to one of the other sleeper pax and she was telling us how she went over there at some point to buy some juice and got verbally attacked by the coach pax in the SSL. They were upset that a sleeper pax was "stealing their food".
How did the coach passengers know that she was a sleeping car passenger - if she was buying juice?
huh.gif
Did she wear a big sign around her neck?
huh.gif
My guess is just from the direction she was entering the SSL from. Coach weren't allowed in the diner, therefore anyone coming from the diner direction should have been from the sleepers.

I just looked at the arrival time of train 11 in LA on the second day of this trip and it arrived at 8:50 PM; one day early. You say that once during the trip they bought sandwiches from Subway on board. They could have made several food stops along the way and brought fast food on board, or restocked the lounge car if its supply was depleted because of the problems with the dining car. Even if that caused the train to be late, it would not have been anywhere near as late as some of the delays CZ passengers endure. Earlier this summer on train 27, which was horribly late into Spokane, they bussed us Spokane to Klamath Falls. Wghen we got to the Pasco station in route, the station had boxes of snacks and beverages to keep us going. We had another meal stop in route. It also sounds like communication was badly lacking on what was happening and what to expect as the trip progressed. If they chose not to make the annoucements by general intercom, they could have done them by sleeping car intercoms or SCA cabin to cabin annoucements.
Time sounds right, but I don't know where you got "a day early" from. I'm not sure even a bullet train could get from SEA to LAX in one day. We would have arrived in SIM a few minutes early, but had to wait for a passing surfliner, which delayed us about 10 min. The first day the dining car steward kept making announcements about the issue and kept saying "don't worry, we'll make sure everyone gets fed", which didn't happen. Second day, we didn't catch all the announcements since our speaker wasn't working in the room (had to open the door everytime to hear it). We did hear that lunch was canceled and later on about the sandwiches for coach.

What I still don't understand is how water effects food service. Can someone explain? For example, dinner the first day was limited to veggie pasta or the roasted chicken. Sides were steamed veggies and whole grain rice. No other options (other than kids menu). Dinner the second day, when we had full water from just being filled, full menu was available including baked potatoes.

Jamie - did you call amtrak customer relations about this? I am curious what the response was.

Not yet. The boyfriend wanted to do it since he's more argumentative than I am.

I have always brought food and water with me on Amtrak, even for short runs. I'll be on the Pennsylvanian this weekend and I already have a nylon grocery bag filled with water, apples, crackers, cookies and my favorite long distance snack: a mix of cashews, almonds and dried cranberries. Since I know they'll probably be out of food before lunch, I should be set!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back