92 (05/24/11) Service Disruption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief
Was riding Tri-Rail south today but didn't get further then Deerfield Beach because a northbound train struck a person/car. Since no trains will be running through Pompano Beach for a while, I ended up taking the same train back north to West Palm Beach (kind of funny since we took the number of the train that was in the accident) while everyone else was bussed around the incident to Cypress Creek where they would continue on another train south. I looked up the status for todays 92 which was scheduled to leave Miami at 11:50 (the incident happened at Pompano Beach around 10:30) and Amtrak said there is a service disruption for every station I put along its route. Is it likely that 92 runs today (just hours late) or will they cancel it all together? Has anyone gone through a similar situation or know what typical Amtrak procedure is?

It will all depend on when the line opens up. Unless there was immense damage to rail property, it will probably open up in several hours and then they will run 92 late. If it stays closed until much later then all bets are off.

Since they are showing 91 arriving in Miami on time or ahead of schedule most likely they believe that the line will open up by then. One thing they might do with 92 is have it not go towards Tampa and just run straight to Orlando, and bus folks from/to the stations missed to save some time. The issue is unless the consist makes it to New York, they will have to cancel 91 of Thursday, which of course they would like to avoid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like he's going to be running about 2 1/2 hours late. Turned on my scanner and heard 92 will be sitting at Lake Worth for a little bit because of Tri-Rail traffic. Now I wonder if they'll just bus the Tampa/Lakeland people.

Per Amtrak's website, 92 will arrive into Tampa 2 hours and 11 minutes late tonight yet get to New York tomorrow 13 minutes early. Gotta love schedule padding.

Per Amtrak's website, 92 will arrive into Tampa 2 hours and 11 minutes late tonight yet get to New York tomorrow 13 minutes early. Gotta love schedule padding.
If that really happens then it's an Amtrak miracle. There is no way a train can make up 2 hours and 11 minutes. Just no way IMO.
We shall see....

After having been as much as 2 hrs, 55 minutes late, this train gained a full hour overnight and departed RGH this morning just 1 hr, 43 minutes late.

-------

Ha, well that should teach me to expect great things. After gaining back the hour, train 92 promptly lost back 36 minutes between RGH and the very next stop in RMT. Oh well, as the old saying goes: Late trains get later...then they gain back some of that time...then they lose it again...etc

Funny that last Friday's hour and 20 minute late #2 out of Houston for no discernable reason hardly gets a blip on the radar. Perhaps even a compliment for only being an hour and 20 minutes late....

It has to run the Rocky Mount - Petersburg gauntlet out of slot. My speculation is it will be more than an hour late into Washington DC. Just a random speculation mind you. :)

Yeah, with all the issues on the corridor, the poor train didn't have a chance.
It wouldn't surprise me if they axed the train at WAS. :eek:
Why? They have run much later all the way to NY. I have arrived into NYP over 4 hours late on 92 once.

Yeah, with all the issues on the corridor, the poor train didn't have a chance.
It wouldn't surprise me if they axed the train at WAS. :eek:
Why? They have run much later all the way to NY. I have arrived into NYP over 4 hours late on 92 once.
Just a thought with the Power issues. You never know in this world.
Power issue has been fixed by 6:30pm. A Star that leaves WAS 3:00 late will get nowhere near where the power issue was until much later than 6:30. Don't worry it will run through to NYP,unless something else intervenes of course. They will have a heck of a headache tomorrow if there is no consist in SSYD for 91. They have the whole night to get the consist there :)

I was on 92 today until Baltimore, and it got in around 7:00 p.m. I had heard about the person being struck earlier on from the attendant in 2911.

They'd have a HUGE issue if they cut the train in DC. Not only would folks have to be re-booked on to other trains, their bags have to go somewhere, and bustituting in the Northeast would take longer than just dealing with the power issues. Not to mention that consist would have to deadhead to New York anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back