92 (7/17/17) What Happened?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped by a car stuck on the tracks between Lakeland and Tampa, then the locomotive quit loading. Picked up a CSX unit which took the train to Sanford for a replacement P42.

I was wondering what caused that delay. I was waiting at ORL Sunday night to board 92 to go to Richmond, VA (RVR).

The train lost about 50 minutes between Orlando and Richmond. Fortunately for me, the 95 Northeast Regional that I took to NPN arrived only 10 mins late.

Controlled flight into terrain may be a crash like the American 757 into a mountain side. Whether it is a crash or not typically depends on the level of situational awareness of the flight crew. All proper landings are also in some sense controlled flight into terrain, but that phrase is usually reserved for bad outcomes.

When I was learning to fly back in the early 70s, my crusty old CFI, a WW II Pilot, would remind me that all planes are gliders when the they quit flying, and that I should always have a place picked out to land if an emergency happened!

Of course a water landing is a whole 'nother thing, as is flying through Mountains.

Bottom line, the Pilot in Command is totally responsible for his craft and Job #1 is a Safe Landing that you can walk away from!

Stopped by a car stuck on the tracks between Lakeland and Tampa, then the locomotive quit loading. Picked up a CSX unit which took the train to Sanford for a replacement P42.
And the kicker here is that they want to rebuild the P42's. With the failure rate now. That'll surely keep going up as their is not many units they can take out at once. Maybe one or two at a time. These units get beat up well. IMO their bad candidates for rebuild.

Back