95 cancelled on Thanksgiving

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amamba

Engineer
Interesting.

I booked H on 95 from PVD - TRE on Thanksgiving day.

He just got an email that it was cancelled. Why?! Low ridership maybe?

Now I am annoyed because everything is at high bucket for the day before thanksgiving. If I had known 95 wasn't going to be running, I could have booked him onto a train that day months ago before everything was at high bucket.

Ok I posted here before I checked out amtrak.com.

It looks like maybe they just added in some of the holiday only trains?

Now there is an 1143 leaving PVD at 5:55 am and some other oddly numbered trains that day. But it stinks because the timing was perfect on that 95 which now no longer exists.

95 is probably cancelled because the equivalent train would be running on a stop-heavy schedule BOS-WAS. 99, the weekend stand-in for 95 as far as access to Newport News (195 ends at RVR those days), is running on Thanksgiving in lieu of 95.

Edit: 99 adds Mystic, CT; New Rochelle, NY; and Newark Airport vis-a-vis 95. It drops Old Saybrook.

Last edited by a moderator:
95 is probably cancelled because the equivalent train would be running on a stop-heavy schedule BOS-WAS. 99, the weekend stand-in for 95 as far as access to Newport News (195 ends at RVR those days), is running on Thanksgiving in lieu of 95.
That makes sense. I also see 195 is running on T-day, maybe I'll put him on that or that magical 1143. Does anyone know what type of equipment something like the 1143 might run?

I'm not sure about 1143 at the moment...does anyone remember what the numbers tended to be for the "Northeast Regional Extra" trains (i.e. extra Amfleet-equipped runs) vs. the "Holiday Extra" trains (i.e. borrowed commuter equipment)? The numbering for the Holiday Extras is always wonky, but I can't recall if those trains get numbers over 1100 or if they're given something higher.

I'm not sure about 1143 at the moment...does anyone remember what the numbers tended to be for the "Northeast Regional Extra" trains (i.e. extra Amfleet-equipped runs) vs. the "Holiday Extra" trains (i.e. borrowed commuter equipment)? The numbering for the Holiday Extras is always wonky, but I can't recall if those trains get numbers over 1100 or if they're given something higher.
If I put him on something with borrowed commuter equipment he will not be a happy camper for the 4+ hour train ride.... :)

It does say wifi, quiet car, and snack car available online underneath the train number....but I'm not sure if I trust that.

Yeah, you can put a cafe car in a consist with some commuter cars and get that. I don't see anything in the T-giving timetable from last year that looked to differentiate the equipment used on the extras.

If your train is canceled and your already ticketed can't you call up Amtrak and demand a ticket on a similar train at the price already paid (without an increase or decrease in price)?

I've done this with the airlines quite a few times to my advantage when they've notified me of schedule changes on my flights, a couple times ending up on flights that I would have booked originally but didn't book because they were originally much more expensive before the airline decided to change their schedule. This once included (like ten years ago on now bankrupt ATA) when we were booked on an 8am Saturday morning flight LGA-MDW, we had a originally wanted to fly out Friday evening but those flights were much more expensive. They ended up canceling the 8am flight a few days after we bought the tickets and rebooking us on the 6am flight. This flight was much too early for us and we called up and got ourselves on a Friday evening flight no extra charge having a nicer longer weekend (no extra hotels charges were involved, we stayed with family).

I wonder if you called Amtrak up what would be the response if you asked to be accommodated on a Wendesday train (at the price of the canceled trip) because they canceled the Thursday trip saying that the 5:55am option won't work because its too early for you?

I kind of doubt that would work though, be curious for Amtrak's response.

I thought they numbered the Commuter train extra's as 9000 series trains
Looking at the 2012 timetable again, I noticed this note at the beginning:

Consider “Holiday Extra” Trains

During the holiday week, Amtrak may use cars

borrowed from commuter rail agencies to run

“Holiday Extra” trains. (These trains are numbered

1054 and higher in the Thanksgiving timetable.)

We recognize that some of the borrowed cars

might not be what you expect from our Amtrak

fleet. “Holiday Extra” trains will have fewer

restrooms and may not offer food service.
So I guess all of the 1xxx Extra trains were using commuter equipment and the Amfleet extras got "normal" Amtrak numbers (or were hooked to existing Amtrak trains).

I thought they numbered the Commuter train extra's as 9000 series trains
Looking at the 2012 timetable again, I noticed this note at the beginning:

Consider “Holiday Extra” Trains

During the holiday week, Amtrak may use cars

borrowed from commuter rail agencies to run

“Holiday Extra” trains. (These trains are numbered

1054 and higher in the Thanksgiving timetable.)

We recognize that some of the borrowed cars

might not be what you expect from our Amtrak

fleet. “Holiday Extra” trains will have fewer

restrooms and may not offer food service.
So I guess all of the 1xxx Extra trains were using commuter equipment and the Amfleet extras got "normal" Amtrak numbers (or were hooked to existing Amtrak trains).
Thanks Ryan, that is what I was thinking of.

Ok thanks I won't book him on the 1154 that leaves at 5:55 am. He has to work and I have the whole week off so I am driving to my parents house.

I can tell you that on Sunday MARC and NJT equipment is run. Two trainsets in each direction. Two Marc sets will run. One in the Late morning Early Afternoon, and the other in the early evening going north. NJT mid afternoon going South.

For the 'North/East of New York' holiday extras, Amtrak equipment is used. Last year the comutter equipment only ran between New York and Washington.

If your train is canceled and your already ticketed can't you call up Amtrak and demand a ticket on a similar train at the price already paid (without an increase or decrease in price)?
Yes, you need to be talking with Amtrak. If they cancelled the train and hubby was already booked and paid on it, then they must move you to another train of your choice at the same fare. They can't just pull the plug and leave you to pay a higher rate.

According to the October 14 NEC timetable, "Special Thanksgiving Timetables will be issued to cover trains in the Northeast and other areas for the period of November 25 through December 2."

What I have experienced on past Thanksgivings on the NYP-WAS-RVR trains is that if a given train has a corresponding weekend schedule, then the weekday schedule is annulled on the holiday(s) and the weekend schedule is operated in its place. Not sure why, but that's what has taken place in the past, at least for the Richmond trains.

Edit: clarity

Yes, you need to be talking with Amtrak. If they cancelled the train and hubby was already booked and paid on it, then they must move you to another train of your choice at the same fare. They can't just pull the plug and leave you to pay a higher rate.
Thanks Alan. They just sent him an email (no phone call) that said the train was cancelled. I need to call because he is traveling for business this week and doesn't have time to deal with it.

I was just thumbing through the New York Washington timetable for Sunday December 1, the end of the holiday weekend and get a extra trains that say for example 1167 (11-- series)null (and include cafe car, quiet car, and wifi logos) with business class, these are clearly using normal Amtrak equipment. Other trains are 10-- series and say Commuter Train Equipment with only the logo for a cafe car and no buissiness class listed. My god are fares high!

Ok I called the number in the email which apparently is a special line for folks to be re-accommodated. The agent was very lovely and rebooked my H on a different train and preserved the original fare.

So I freaked out for nothing. But I still think that it would have been helpful for amtrak to make their schedule changes prior to this because some of the trains are already sold out for that week.

Ok I called the number in the email which apparently is a special line for folks to be re-accommodated. The agent was very lovely and rebooked my H on a different train and preserved the original fare.
Which is exactly what should happen.

So I freaked out for nothing. But I still think that it would have been helpful for amtrak to make their schedule changes prior to this because some of the trains are already sold out for that week.
It's not always as easy as it sounds. I've had something similar happen where I booked a normal Sunday Acela months in advance, only to have them decide that because it's a holiday weekend that they're going to run the Saturday schedule on Sunday and the Sunday schedule on that Monday holiday.

However, and this is the thing that surprises me a bit, they called me in addition to sending me an email. I'm kind of surprised that you didn't get any phone calls, as generally if they reach you, the agent handles the rebooking right then & there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back