98 Silver Meteor Derails in SAV (1/3/18)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 98 was cancelled today.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak ForumAy

Last edited by a moderator:
I always get my directions turned around in that station. But I have a few questions. When the train overshot the station, was it on the main line, the double tracks up behind the station? To overshoot and back into the station, it would have had to use the switch that is used by the southbound trains coming into the station. I don't see how they could have backed all the way back to to frozen switch. The odd thing is that there is an overpass on the north end and it loked like there was a car sitting there, maybe a sleeper. Unfortunately the only camera I had along was on my iphone and it didn't have enough zoom. CJ

Just found out that we didn’t get any food at Florence, so the crew ordered pizza for the train. At least it ain’t amstew, so I’m happy enough.

They estimate 4:00/4:30 A.M. arrival, and that’s if everything goes smoothly. Given the crew change and that everything has gone terribly, I’m guessing 5:00.

So this all means that 98 will have traveled through two nights, a total of 45 hours

I always get my directions turned around in that station. But I have a few questions. When the train overshot the station, was it on the main line, the double tracks up behind the station? To overshoot and back into the station, it would have had to use the switch that is used by the southbound trains coming into the station. I don't see how they could have backed all the way back to to frozen switch. The odd thing is that there is an overpass on the north end and it loked like there was a car sitting there, maybe a sleeper. Unfortunately the only camera I had along was on my iphone and it didn't have enough zoom. CJ
Three cars were left behind (two sleepers and the baggage). I would imagine that the cars would be kept in the same vicinity. The end goal is to have a crane put the cars back on track. Until that point I imagine they’ll just sit there. .

IMG_1515106502.251097.jpg

What’s interesting is that at WAS the arrivals screen says your train (train 98 originally scheduled at 7:07am) is supposed to arrive at 8pm. Seems like wishful thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

attachicon.gif
IMG_1515106502.251097.jpg

What’s interesting is that at WAS the arrivals screen says your train (train 98 originally scheduled at 7:07am) is supposed to arrive at 8pm. Seems like wishful thinking?

I would say so. We left Fayetteville a few minutes ago. We were scheduled to depart FAY at 12:37 A.M. and we actually departed 5:35 P.M. Meaning that at this rate we’ll reach D.C. at 12:05 A.M.

Another notable detail from that screen is that an Acela was cancelled. Wasn't someone just asking about whether Acela or Regional had a better chance in this weather?

52(3) just departed Florence. I'd expect it to arrive Lorton between 3 and 6 tomorrow morning. 92(3), running 6 hrs 30 mins late, is between Rocky Mount and Petersburg. 2 or 3 am tomorrow at NYP sounds right for it unless another crew goes on the dog law. 98(3) is trailing 92(3) by about 50 miles.

The literally 70 pizzas have arrived. The staff are serving directly to people’s rooms/seats. Is that how they generally go about this (when they order in)?

Another notable detail from that screen is that an Acela was cancelled. Wasn't someone just asking about whether Acela or Regional had a better chance in this weather?
I did post a picture from this morning of the same screen (I commute through WAS) showing two morning Acelas canceled as well.

That said a couple NER have been cancelled as well.

As for 98, I wonder why they even bothered putting 8pm as the estimated arrival time in WAS when there was no way that was going to happen?

To answer a question that I saw on here earlier about the track work of the station.

Savannah station is actually a two thru track and two stub track station located off the main line. So each side of the station has at least three sets of points.

So the train went past the south station lead switch and passed by. Then backed into the station on the north lead. I am assuming it either picked the north stub track switch, or the north platform switch.

I'm assuming when 92 arrived they had a signal maintainer come out and unfreeze the switch to let him come in from the south.

Speculation but it appears that 98's derailed car's passengers were put on auto train ? Any one confirm or deny ?
Only the RVR were supposed to board the Auto train but I don't believe it occurred.

So those that go transferred to the Star appear to be doing slightly better than those that remained on the Meteor, as the Star is nearing Cary while the Meteor is getting to Charleston?
It seems that way. We just pulled into Charleston, so were about 16 hours behind schedule. On the bright side, theyre about to serve lunch. Apparently (and unsurprisingly) the dining car is running low on food, so fingers crossed that they get a delivery for dinner.Do you think I have a shot at a refund, given were 16 hours late and the train derailed?
Do you feel it's Amtrak's fault that the weather caused these delays?
No. That said, with us expected to arrive about 3am, we basically lost a day. And the weather itself didn’t cause the main delay. The crew did perform a maneuver at Savannah that resulted in a derailment. A derailment that was not the expected result of the maneuver, but the weather itself did not cause the derailment. That said, if Amtrak really wouldn’t be considered responsible for the derailment of their own equipment, I’m fine with no refund.
So, are you suggesting the crew derailed the train?

I did post a picture from this morning of the same screen (I commute through WAS) showing two morning Acelas canceled as well.

That said a couple NER have been cancelled as well.

As for 98, I wonder why they even bothered putting 8pm as the estimated arrival time in WAS when there was no way that was going to happen?

The updates on that screen are automatic. The tracking updates it based upon the position of the train and pure running time. It is pretty funny as it is overly optimistic and doesn't account for traffic or even movement in some cases.

The literally 70 pizzas have arrived. The staff are serving directly to people’s rooms/seats. Is that how they generally go about this (when they order in)?
Yes, to ensure it is fairly and evenly distributed....
It also eliminates a stampede. I still think Cpotisch should have asked for the Amstew and put it on his pizza. Then, and only then, A Jedi will you be!!!

Ok, having never been on a LD train, I gotta ask... What the heck is Amstew? It sounds...interesting.
During severe disruptions, when food supplies re low and there is no relief in sight, a seasoned Amtrak traveler knows they are in trouble when the staff busts this out:

006633-600x600-A.jpg

They started carrying this (and bottled water, crackers and few other things) after a train got stranded for 24hours outside (if memory serves) Savannah.

10grams of protein!!! After this is served to a train full of people, everyone will be able to participate in the Onboard Bathrooms thread.

Silver Meteor #98 opened its doors in Penn Station at 6:59 A.M. We were 19h 57m late.
Glad you made it there! Anyone from Customer Service meet you off the train? That's the difference between Amtrak and the airlines. If your plane slipped off the end of the runway (presumably during landing so pax are at their destination), then CS would be lined up when the shuttle busses arrived at the terminal. On Amtrak, you have to call them.

Corporately, Amtrak has never had exceptional customer service. Onboard Crews can vary greatly, and it seems like you had a pretty good crew. The non-operational crew that stayed with the train was dreaming dollar signs of double and triple time...

52(3) arrived Lorton 3:06 am on the 5th, 18 hours 7 minutes late.

92(3) arrived New York 7:26 am on the 5th, 12 hours 36 minutes late. Apparently 98 overtook 92 on the NEC during the night.

Silver Meteor #98 opened its doors in Penn Station at 6:59 A.M. We were 19h 57m late.
Glad you made it there! Anyone from Customer Service meet you off the train? That's the difference between Amtrak and the airlines. If your plane slipped off the end of the runway (presumably during landing so pax are at their destination), then CS would be lined up when the shuttle busses arrived at the terminal. On Amtrak, you have to call them.Corporately, Amtrak has never had exceptional customer service. Onboard Crews can vary greatly, and it seems like you had a pretty good crew. The non-operational crew that stayed with the train was dreaming dollar signs of double and triple time...
The attendants and diner staff were fantastic. Our sleeper attendant (I think his name was Leo) always kept us updated on why were stopped. The dining staff were doing everything they could to keep us fed and prevent a wait. Without them, the ride would have been way worse.

Ok, having never been on a LD train, I gotta ask... What the heck is Amstew? It sounds...interesting.
During severe disruptions, when food supplies re low and there is no relief in sight, a seasoned Amtrak traveler knows they are in trouble when the staff busts this out:

006633-600x600-A.jpg

They started carrying this (and bottled water, crackers and few other things) after a train got stranded for 24hours outside (if memory serves) Savannah.

10grams of protein!!! After this is served to a train full of people, everyone will be able to participate in the Onboard Bathrooms thread.
Isn't this the prime rib cut served on the Cardinal ? Maybe the beef tips???

Back