A couple of Checked Baggage Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainmans daughter

OBS Chief
In December, we are traveling from SAC to FBG, with an overnight stop in CHI. During our layover in CHI, can we leave our luggage at Union Station as we will have what we need for our hotel that night in our carryons? It sure would be easier not to have to lug an unneeded suitcase to the hotel and then back again the next day.

If that's not allowed, could we store them overnight in the metro lounge (we will be in sleeper accomodations both arriving in CHI and departing the next day).

Another question--The next leg of our trip is from CHI to WAS on the CL and then to FBG (on a regional) on a single reservation. Can we check our bags through to WAS and pick them up there? FBG doesn't have baggage service so we can't check them all the way.

If you did not need your suitcase until you get to WAS you could check it to WAS and then pick it up as you have 4 hours between trains or you could also check it in CHI to WAS. I am not sure if you would be able to store them over night in the lounge.

Yes, you can check them thru to WAS. When they are not retrieved in WAS upon arrival (it is a secured baggage area), they will be stored (in the same area and also secured) where you can pick them up upon your arrival.

The airlines can learn a lot about baggage handling and management from Amtrak. Let us just hope it doesn't go the other way around and Amtrak figures out how to charge vigorish for checking your bags :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooops! I may have spoke too soon. I just noticed it is now $20 to toss extra bags into the Baggage Car. I thought it was just $10. But then again under normal circumstances if I find myself in a situation where I'm wagging so much baggage on a holiday I have to pay a surcharge that just means I totally lost control when I was packing.

My rule of thumb is carry on only during the Summer and no more than 1 small checked bag during the Winter (bigger, heavier clothes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back