A couple of questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with checking on a Roomette for at least on Night on the SWC (I suggest from Albuqurque-LAX) if you can snag a Good Price! Remember your Rail Fare is Paid so One Price will cover Both of you in a Roomette which will get you Meals in the Diner and all the associated Sleeper Perks! (ie Water, Juice, Coffee, Shower etc.) One of our Members , Paul M., developed amsnag.net, it's really a cool tool for finding fares and Sleeper Prices for up to 30 Days @ a Time and up to 11 months in Advance! Check it out! ;)
Thank you!! And thank you Paul M!!!!! Amsnag is awesome.

It's still pretty expensive, I played with a few options.

ABQ to LAX

abqtolax.jpg

GLP to LAX

GLPtoLAX.jpg

FMI to TRI

FMDtoTRI.jpg

Does it ever get cheaper for a roomette, or are the rooms at bucket rates, like the fares?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also Remember that Seniors (over 62) get a 15% Discount on their Rail Fare and $75.00 is the low Bucket Rail Fare from ABQ-LAX! (take 15% off of that/ when you Book a Sleeper you always get the Low Bucket Coach Fare minus any Discounts!)). The $234 Roomette Charge is the Lowest Bucket on this Route, it can go up to over $500+ High Bucket! Sleeprs are priced by the Marketing Wizards by a Secret Formula passed on by Merlin the Magician! :ph34r: (it's Supply and Demand! :giggle: )

Since you have a Sleeper on the Zephyr for the Return, you may want to just ride Coach to LAX and check into getting a Roomette on the Starlight out of LAX if you can snag a Good Price, lots of people do this even though it is a Day Trip from LAX to the Bay Area so they can use the Lounge in LAX while Waiting (there is a New Lounge coming Soon to Union Station)and have yourMeals in the PPC or Diner and the use of the PPC with the Wine and Cheese Tasting included which you are aware of!

Also Remember that Seniors (over 62) get a 15% Discount on their Rail Fare and $75.00 is the low Bucket Rail Fare from ABQ-LAX! (take 15% off of that/ when you Book a Sleeper you always get the Low Bucket Coach Fare minus any Discounts!)). The $234 Roomette Charge is the Lowest Bucket on this Route, it can go up to over $500+ High Bucket! Sleeprs are priced by the Marketing Wizards by a Secret Formula passed on by Merlin the Magician! :ph34r: (it's Supply and Demand! :giggle: )
Since you have a Sleeper on the Zephyr for the Return, you may want to just ride Coach to LAX and check into getting a Roomette on the Starlight out of LAX if you can snag a Good Price, lots of people do this even though it is a Day Trip from LAX to the Bay Area so they can use the Lounge in LAX while Waiting (there is a New Lounge coming Soon to Union Station)and have yourMeals in the PPC or Diner and the use of the PPC with the Wine and Cheese Tasting included which you are aware of!
Jim, you are full of great ideas, thank you so much.

I just called Amtrak - I assume she included our discount - oops, she didnt!

The cheapest thing we could do is Chicago to La Junta, Colorado. It gets into La Junta at 8:15 in the morning, but we could get dinner, breakfast, and a shower for $202!

CHI - LAJ - $202 - 15% = $170

ALB-LAX - $298 - 15% = $240

Not bad!!! Now I have to talk my sister into it.

I don't really need a room on the Coast Starlight - not really worth it because we can grab breakfast and lunch to bring with in L.A. if the Southwest Chief is on time.

I'm not familiar with the lounge in the stations, didn't know they were there!

June Bug: The 15% Discount is ONLY off Coach Fare, not the Sleeper, so if you could do CHI-LAJ it would be the Rail Fare(minus 15%) for each of you plus the $202 for the Roomette! (Thats a Good Price for a Popular Train BTW!)

Yeah, the Starlight Trip isnt that critical in Coach since it's a Day Trip, you'll still have the Sightseer Lounge and the Scenery and can carry on your Food and Drinks!!! And don't forget to have Breakfast @ Phillipes in LAX, the SWC is usuall Early into lAX and you will have time, its three Blocks from Union Station! :)

Lots of us have as much fun helping Plan other Peoples Trips as our Own! ^_^

As to the Lounges, the Club Acelas are located in Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington!

Metro Lounges are in Chicago and Portland, Oregon!(staffed with Snacks and Services)

There are unstaffed Waiting Rooms for Sleeper Passengers in MSP, NOL,Raliegh, NC, Miami (is it still there??)and St. Louis!

June Bug: The 15% Discount is ONLY off Coach Fare, not the Sleeper, so if you could do CHI-LAJ it would be the Rail Fare(minus 15%) for each of you plus the $202 for the Roomette! (Thats a Good Price for a Popular Train BTW!)
Yeah, the Starlight Trip isnt that critical in Coach since it's a Day Trip, you'll still have the Sightseer Lounge and the Scenery and can carry on your Food and Drinks!!!

Well, Jim, it is very much appreciated. We did get the discount on the rail fare, thanks! I have student advantage and my sister has the senior one. :)

Speaking of 15% how much is a good tip for the attendant? Is 20% of the room price about average? More? Less? I figure it has to be at least $20 a day?

Yeah, the Starlight Trip isnt that critical in Coach since it's a Day Trip, you'll still have the Sightseer Lounge and the Scenery and can carry on your Food and Drinks!!!

Well, Jim, it is very much appreciated. We did get the discount on the rail fare, thanks! I have student advantage and my sister has the senior one. :)

Speaking of 15% how much is a good tip for the attendant? Is 20% of the room price about average? More? Less? I figure it has to be at least $20 a day?
The accepted advice is typically $10 a day for good but not excellent service, and go up/down from there. However, no one is obliged to tip and tips are ultimately as you see fit.

There have been several Looooong threads on this very topic here and the General Consensus seems to be that if the Service is Pleasant and the Sleeping Car Attendant does his assigned duties that $5 a Night per Person is appropriate!Most Coach Attendants aren't tipped as they don't actually do much but there are exceptions to this in rare instnces! If they go over and above such as bringing meals to your Room, helping with Luggage etc. maybe 20 for a Night for yhe $2! I suggest you Google the threads and red them and decide whats right for you! Diner Waitpersons usually get 10-15% with more for Great or Extra Serviice! Cafe attendants usually get the Change or a $1 when you purchase items in the cafe and Redcaps should get at least $5 if they help you to the Train or into the Station! Conductors, Engineers and Station Agents (unless they do something extra like take you to your Car on their Cart , help with your Luggage to the Train etc. in Stations without Red Caps) are Not tipped ! YMMV

Thanks Jim! The only time I gave a coach attendant a $20 tip was when he got me a seat by myself so I could stretch out and sleep ;)

Junebug

You guys think that maybe we can find it in our hearts to cut the lady some slack?

If you want to debate the morality of sleeping in the lounge car, there's a thread for that.

Some people don't know the exact right names for everything associated with the train. We can choose to handle it with class and grace, and either gently correct them by using the right name, or we can be ... less graceful.

How we treat people like this makes a difference. People considering a trip but having questions can feel welcome here, post their questions and give Amtrak a try. Or, they can see a hostile environment, say "screw it" and fly or drive.

Anthony had one of those two options in mind when he founded the site. He's moved along, but I think that it's probably better to keep that spirit in mind when we're interacting with normal folks and maybe do something to help Amtrak out rather than chase potential riders away.

Just my $0.02.

You guys think that maybe we can find it in our hearts to cut the lady some slack?
If you want to debate the morality of sleeping in the lounge car, there's a thread for that.

Some people don't know the exact right names for everything associated with the train. We can choose to handle it with class and grace, and either gently correct them by using the right name, or we can be ... less graceful.

How we treat people like this makes a difference. People considering a trip but having questions can feel welcome here, post their questions and give Amtrak a try. Or, they can see a hostile environment, say "screw it" and fly or drive.

Anthony had one of those two options in mind when he founded the site. He's moved along, but I think that it's probably better to keep that spirit in mind when we're interacting with normal folks and maybe do something to help Amtrak out rather than chase potential riders away.

Just my $0.02.
Chivalry is not dead :)

Thank you, kind sir. Most everyone has been awesome and ever so helpful. But I agree, some people would have hightailed it out of here.

Just my $0.02.
Well stated, Ryan. I couldn't agree more. I'm thinking a thread about courtesy should be pinned for those who don't know what it means.

Just my $0.02.
I appreciate your comments, I for one have been on the receiving end of the comments and I know exactly how she must feel. I have been one to attack too, so I will definitely make a point to be kind and I hope others do too.

junebug, from one June to another who rides in coach 100% of the time, making sure that the leg rests are working before you sit down and get settled helps. I have had leg rests that I had to put something under for it to work. I would not depend on sleeping in the lounge car, but if you are able to sleep on the floor, maybe get a front seat that has the extra leg room and you can sleep on the floor and she can have the two seats for sleeping. I too am a "large" lady, I put a pillow behind my head and a pillow behind the small of my back and lay with my head against the window and lay diagnallly if I have two seats.

Bringing ear plugs and eye masks really does help as the coach car is not completely dark and for me I seem to always end up right next to one of the lights so not dark enough for me.

Enjoy your trip.

junebug, from one June to another who rides in coach 100% of the time, making sure that the leg rests are working before you sit down and get settled helps. I have had leg rests that I had to put something under for it to work. I would not depend on sleeping in the lounge car, but if you are able to sleep on the floor, maybe get a front seat that has the extra leg room and you can sleep on the floor and she can have the two seats for sleeping. I too am a "large" lady, I put a pillow behind my head and a pillow behind the small of my back and lay with my head against the window and lay diagnallly if I have two seats.
Bringing ear plugs and eye masks really does help as the coach car is not completely dark and for me I seem to always end up right next to one of the lights so not dark enough for me.

Enjoy your trip.
I love all these comments from other ladies! Thanks, June, those are great ideas. Do you use the little travel pillows, or larger pillows behind your head and back? I can't recall if there is enough room in the front seats to lay on the floor. I am short, though, so it might work! That might be a great idea, thank you!!

That's how my kids sleep in coach- one across the seats (with one or both leg rests up), the other on the floor underneath. they're 8 and 11, though, and not even 4.5ft tall.

Enjoy your trip.
I love all these comments from other ladies! Thanks, June, those are great ideas. Do you use the little travel pillows, or larger pillows behind your head and back? I can't recall if there is enough room in the front seats to lay on the floor. I am short, though, so it might work! That might be a great idea, thank you!!
If you are short enough, if she has both of the leg rests up, you can kind of slide your legs under one of the seats and lay katty corner. I use a small microbead pillow behind my back and a very scrunchy regular size behind my head so it also covers the hard armrest.

Enjoy your trip.
If you are short enough, if she has both of the leg rests up, you can kind of slide your legs under one of the seats and lay katty corner. I use a small microbead pillow behind my back and a very scrunchy regular size behind my head so it also covers the hard armrest.
I'll have to find a microbead pillow! I already have a squishy regular pillow. I AM short!! I bet I could do it if we don't stash anything under the seat. But what if someone from another seat kicks me in the head? :( Yikes

Put your head in the corner of the wall and the window and then spread out under the seat as you kind, kind of like a backwards L with your knees bent a little and your feet under the seat and facing the wall which would make it darker too.

There is usually lots of room above the seats, so you should not have any problem getting everything you have up there.

I got my microbead pillow on ebay, but amazon has them also. There is also a direct page, http://www.cushiepillows.com/

Put your head in the corner of the wall and the window and then spread out under the seat as you kind, kind of like a backwards L with your knees bent a little and your feet under the seat and facing the wall which would make it darker too.
There is usually lots of room above the seats, so you should not have any problem getting everything you have up there.

I got my microbead pillow on ebay, but amazon has them also. There is also a direct page, http://www.cushiepillows.com/
Nice, June. Did you get the roll pillow?

And do you mean something like this? (Train layout courtesy of PerRock's blog, thanks, PerRock!)

sleep.jpg

For one thing, the Southwest Chief does not go to San Jose. And there has not been an observation car on any Amtrak train I think ever. The last regularly scheduled American train with an observation car was back 50 or more years. And if you slept in the seat you purchased, and not in the Sightseer Lounge Car (where you did not purchase a ticket), you could answer that question yourself.
Amtrak posted this on their blog today (http://blog.amtrak.com/2013/08/photo-of-the-week-southwest-chief):

...For the best views (and Instagram pics), check out the observation car, also sometimes referred to as our sightseer lounge...
The words "observation car" in the article link to this earlier blog post (http://blog.amtrak.com/2013/06/welcome-to-the-observation-car/):

There’s lots of reasons why trains are better than cars for long trips, but the observation car has to be one of the best.
What’s that? Gasp! You don’t know what an observation car is?

Let us school you …

Our observation cars are part of our double-decker trains that run long distances mainly west of Chicago.

What makes the cars so cool is that they have floor to ceiling windows, giving them their nickname “sightseer lounges.” They bring daydreaming out the window to a whole new level … literally. That’s because when you’re in one you’re actually on the second floor of the train.
I thought I should probably bring this to your attention so that you may go over there and correct them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back