Quantcast

A Covid 'Atlantic Bubble' Road Trip (& some Trains too!)

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Dakota 400

Conductor
but not the Winter
Celebrated Christmas in Anchorage, Alaska with my family once. I had a good time dressed in a parka and multiple layers of clothing. Beautiful winter scenery and one has not "lived" until you have been driven onto a frozen lake--not realizing where one was--and then, an OMG! moment takes place. Christmas Day temperature was a minus 16 degrees Fahrenheit with wind chill added. Dressed as I was, I was still COLD!

Bob Dylan

Conductor
Celebrated Christmas in Anchorage, Alaska with my family once. I had a good time dressed in a parka and multiple layers of clothing. Beautiful winter scenery and one has not "lived" until you have been driven onto a frozen lake--not realizing where one was--and then, an OMG! moment takes place. Christmas Day temperature was a minus 16 degrees Fahrenheit with wind chill added. Dressed as I was, I was still COLD!
Coldest I ever was happened in Northern Alberta where it was -40 F with a Wind Chill of -75F!!!! :eek: 😵

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
Coldest I ever was happened in Northern Alberta where it was -40 F with a Wind Chill of -75F!!!! :eek: 😵
I enjoy winter.....but we don't get those extreme cold temps! The old rail trails you're riding your ATV on in summer.....you just switch over to your Skidoo in winter!

I've been to Florida but you're more appt to find me heading off skiing in Maine, New Hampshire, Quebec.....or even Newfoundland. Here's Marble Mountain near Corner Brook.....about 5 miles from that display (above) of the 'Newfie Bullet' equipment. The highway overpass in the photo below is about the location of the old abandoned CNR narrow-gauge right-of-way through the Humber River Valley at Steady Brook.

And getting to Newfoundland in winter can be interesting on those big ice-breaking ferries! We'll get the overnight crossing on a Friday and be skiing by 11am on Saturday......then back on the Ferry Sun or Mon night and into work the next morning.

Last edited:

Seaboard92

Conductor
I have to say that is an amazing report. It makes me want to get on a plane and visit Newfoundland which has never had appeal to me before seeing the pictures of it. Now I know I have to make it there sometime.

Bob Dylan

Conductor
I have to say that is an amazing report. It makes me want to get on a plane and visit Newfoundland which has never had appeal to me before seeing the pictures of it. Now I know I have to make it there sometime.
One of the Worlds hidden Gems!:cool:

Dakota 400

Conductor
It makes me want to get on a plane and visit Newfoundland which has never had appeal to me before seeing the pictures of it.
I visited Newfoundland and Labrador during a cruise and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the tours that I did and the citizens whom I met.

One of the Worlds hidden Gems!:cool:
And so close to home and so easy to get to!