A look at Japanese sleeper trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
https://www.boredpanda.com/traveling-japanese-trains-inside-look/

The 1960s saw great improvement in Japan’s economy, including the railways. The first modern high-speed rail line opened in 1964 and many limited express trains and overnight trains started to cross the nation. After the popularity of Japanese sleeper trains peaked in the 70s, however, the country’s expanding network of bullet trains, domestic air routes, and cheaper night buses have nearly wiped out this way of travel.

BjMRxVEhwvO-png__700.jpg

Interesting item...

"The Sunrise Seto/Izumo don’t offer regular seating. Instead, the carts are equipped with private cabins and an open area called “nobi nobi” which invites to lay down on carpeted ground."

I shall refer to my sleeping on the floor of the Amtrak lounge car in future as enjoying some nobi nobi...  :D

Ed.

I do appreciate seeing this video.  Surely, it would be an unusual travel experience for us Westerners.  No doubt, it would be an excellent way to see Japan at, probably, a reasonable cost.  The idea of a shower time occupancy limit does not surprise me.  It suits their culture based upon my experience.  I am going to time my showering just to see if I could meet the time limit.

The comment that going to the train's lounge car was a good experience to meet people.  That's so true on Amtrak trains as well!  Their train is so different from what we experience.  But, at the "human level", there is no difference.

Personally, I prefer my Amtrak Sleeping Car accommodations.  And, whatever the dining experience might be on my train.

Back