A New Single Level Fleet?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A New Single Level Fleet?

• Viewliner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Streamliner

• New Design (specify)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
If Amtrak were to purchase a new single-level long distance fleet what type of equipment would you like to see.

Viewliner - Like the existing 50 Sleeping Cars

Streamliner - Same design as the '50's and '60's, but with modern designs and new interior layouts

New Design - Something else you would want to see?

Amfleet, when you say"streamliner" I wonder if you mean 10 roomettes and six double bedrooms. That was the design Amtrak mostly retained, and eventually converted into "Heritage " cars.

But keep in mind there were various rooms besides those two and many,many combinations of rooms(and upper/lower berths called sections).

Here are some samples:

6 double bedrooms, 5 compartments

4 bedrooms, 4 compartments, 2 drawing rooms

18 roomettes

11 double bedrooms

6 sections, 6 roomettes, 4 double bedrooms

6 bedrooms- bar lounge

4 sections, 4 roomettes, 5 double bedrooms 1 compartment

This is just a wild sample. There were many, many designs, in the pre-Amtrak days. Actually, not too many streamlined cars had sections, as noted above, but some did.

I voted Viewliner, I think these modern cars have potential provided that they're built as well as the Heritage cars originally were. If anyone wants to see my exteriors, they can PM me and I'll send it.

I think part of the reason the current 50 (excludes Prototypes), aren't of good quality, is because M-K (Morrison-Knudsen), went bankrupt building them and Amerail had to be used. Had Budd still been around the cars would be in much better shape (as proven sort of with the Prototypes).

As nice as the streamliners were, they're not really modern, and we've already begun a Viewliner fleet, so we might as well build on it, I think the 2 rows of windows give the cars an advantage and a more open feeling.

Bill, Streamliner does imply cars like the Heritage Fleet.

While I like the looks of the Viewliners, I'd like Amtrak to start focusing on nationwide high speed rail (I know it's a pipe dream!). I'd personally like to see equipment designed to run 150+ MPH, possibly designed by Talgo, instead of the 125 (I think) that the Viewliners are limited to. I'd especially like to see what a Talgo version of a dome car would be like.

Bill,

I was thinking on some new designs for the floor plans of the Steamliners. Sleeping Cars with 1 Accessible Room, 3 Deluxe Rooms, 8 Standard Rooms. Crew/Dining Car with 12 Standard rooms then 8 tables at one end for overflow Dining Car seating (this car would be hooked up next to the Dining Car). Dining Car which would resemble the Temoinsa rebuild layout just without the service counter. Lounge would have wrap around and booth seating at one end, and 8 tables at the other end with a snack bar in the center. Coach Smoking with enclosed smoking lounge in one half of the car and coach seats on the other end. Coach would resemble an Amfleet II Coach. I have some plans that I drew up on a 3D Architecture program that I can send you. E-mail me for info.

Talgo tilt train technology is best since speeds can be increased and this will lead to an ultimate increase in ridership.

Talgo tilt train technology is best since speeds can be increased and this will lead to an ultimate increase in ridership.
There is on problem though. The trainsets can only be accessed on low-level platforms and the NEC corridor has all high-level platforms. I do think however that the new cars should be designed to operate at high-speeds (90mph max) on existing ROW (rights of way).

Why all the votes for Streamliners?
Why Not? <_< :D

Amfleet said:
There is on problem though. The trainsets can only be accessed on low-level platforms and the NEC corridor has all high-level platforms. I do think however that the new cars should be designed to operate at high-speeds (90mph max) on existing ROW (rights of way).
Well if they can build Viewliners with traps, why can't they build Talgo's with traps?

hi,

I haven't been on a Viewliner yet, just the superliners, but one thing I wish Amtrak had are berths, as on The Canadian, so there is an option ffor those who don't wish to ride coach but can't afford standard rooms.

The people in Spain who make the Talgo equipment have some interesting long distance alternatives with clever sleepers.

Amfleet, the design you mention of one accessible, 3 deluxe and 8 standards rooms is very interesting. But would it have a viewliner look? The neat windows, etc?That would be a good combination.

Well if they can build Viewliners with traps, why can't they build Talgo's with traps?
No, the Talgos can only be accessed by low-level platforms. They don't even have traps, the cars are set lower than the average single-level car. The talgo design though will only work as a trainset.
Amfleet, the design you mention of one accessible, 3 deluxe and 8 standards rooms is very interesting. But would it have a viewliner look? The neat windows, etc?That would be a good combination.
No, it would have one window about the size of a Superliner window.

Amfleet said:
No, the Talgos can only be accessed by low-level platforms. They don't even have traps, the cars are set lower than the average single-level car. The talgo design though will only work as a trainset.
I know that they are only set up to work with low level platforms. I was simply saying that it wouldn't be a big deal to build them with traps so that they could access both high and low level platforms. :)

You guys bring up a lot of interesting points. For short hall trains in the midewest, I would like to see talgo's or turboliners. For long distance in the east, I would have no problem with a well built version of viewliners. Out west, the superliners would be ok if they were refurbished.

Steve4031 said:
You guys bring up a lot of interesting points. For short hall trains in the midewest, I would like to see talgo's or turboliners. For long distance in the east, I would have no problem with a well built version of viewliners. Out west, the superliners would be ok if they were refurbished.
I completely agree with you Steve.

For any new single level fleet I would like to see Amtrak use proven technology that would minimize maintenance costs and keeps the bugs to a minimum, and so that replacement parts would be readily available.

Amfleet, one thing about the viewliner type windows: not only is it a neat look(though I think I like your idea of a floor plan: it does seem in present day viewliners there are too many small rooms and not enough large) but those double windows also give upper berth occupants a view. This for the first time in U.S. railroad history, so far as I know.

Bill Haithcoat said:
....... but those double windows also give upper berth occupants a view. This for the first time in U.S. railroad history, so far as I know.
And I love those upper level windows Bill. Not only for the way they make the car look from the outside, but also for the extra light they provide on the inside. It also allows me to sleep up on the shelf when I'm traveling solo and yet still peek outside should I awaken during the night.

I much prefer this as I don't have to pack away my computer and stuff to go to bed. I can just leave it on the seat. I also don't need to wait for the attendent to setup or takedown my bed. I just have him prep the upper level bed when he has time, and then I can drop the bunk down when I'm ready for bed.

In the morning, I simply push it back up and out of my way. :)

So as far as I'm concerned any new sleepers, either for the single level fleet or the bi-level fleet, need to incorporate upper windows into the design.

I guess my designs could be incorperated with the Viewliner body style. One thing I don't like about the Viewliners is the lack of luggage storage, an area to stand while your companion uses the bathroom, and the over all car feels "cluttered".

Amfleet said:
I guess my designs could be incorperated with the Viewliner body style. One thing I don't like about the Viewliners is the lack of luggage storage, an area to stand while your companion uses the bathroom, and the over all car feels "cluttered".
The Viewliner may not have the public luggage rack that a Superliner has downstairs. However within a standard bedroom the Viewliner room wins hands down over a Superliner room for luggage storage. Thanks to the cubbyhole over the hall, you can store far more luggage in a Viewliner room than you can in a Superliner room.

I agree that the bathroom situation is a problem though if there are two people in the room. For someone traveling solo, like I frequently do, however its a real plus. In fact when I travel on a Viewliner I usually take a standard bedroom, however when I ride on a Superliner I'm generally in a deluxe room simply so I don't have to walk down the hall to the bathroom.

I new about the cubby hole and I think it was a really great idea, but you can't have anything bigger than a medium sized rolling suitcase or a back-pack. We usually have one large suitcase that all our clothing goes into, but we don't like checking it so the luggage rack would help (or does help in a Superliner). I would also say that my family does not lightly pack.

I might be crazy, but might a flat seat or cradle confirguration like british air has in business class work on the east coast. Having just taken the Twilight Shoreliner to DC, I can see real advanages for a comfortable compromise between sleepers and coach.

British Air club seats

Dale, we have at many times thrown that idea around, have seats that go horizontal. We decided that logistically it'd just too be hard to do, and that a Slumbercoach idea would work better. I think a Viewliner that is Upper/Lower Berths with a seating area in the other half of the car would be great. But in all reality Amtrak is a ways a way from buying new cars, we still have to fix the ones we have now. But your idea is a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back