A Silver at South Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, to the same level as the current New Haven-Boston section is?
The distance between Boston and New Haven appears to be within 3 miles of each other by the two routes, via Springfield being 3 miles longer. I don't know if its profile allows as much higher speed operation as the Coast Line.
1625685625624.png

Well the average BOS -<> New Haven times of approximately 2:00 Acela and 2:20 regionals is not great as well. If Inland route could average 60 - 65 then it could be 2:20 - 2:30. IMO not likely due to curvature BOS <> SPG and MBTA WOR <> BOS

Alternatively, they could just upgrade the Inland Route including electrification and acquisition from CSX of the Worcester - Springfield segment, and get a full fledged second route to run as many trains as they wish. State of Connecticut and Massachusetts would have to spearhead the effort. Maybe it will happen sooner rather than later.

Should have used the drawbridge opening augment to build the bypass. Probably would have garnered a lot of support from the mariners I would think.

BTW - is there any seasonality to the restrictions? I would guess they are much more necessary during the summer sailing months.

Should have used the drawbridge opening augment to build the bypass. Probably would have garnered a lot of support from the mariners I would think.

BTW - is there any seasonality to the restrictions? I would guess they are much more necessary during the summer sailing months.
But there are fewer Mariners than McMansion owners, and they basically scotched the idea of a bypass that was presented to Connecticut more than once, each time, overwhelmingly, even though most of it was going to be in a tunnel deep under their McMansions. The difficulty in finding any alternate routing through Connecticut is well known and nothing has changed.

Last edited:
I personally have always wondered why the inland route isn’t more utilized. I’d be curious to study the history of why this became the case. A train from Boston to Hartford could be as useful as a train from Boston to Providence/New London.

Hartford’s sad state could also be improved with direct reliable service to Boston.

I personally have always wondered why the inland route isn’t more utilized. I’d be curious to study the history of why this became the case. A train from Boston to Hartford could be as useful as a train from Boston to Providence/New London.

Hartford’s sad state could also be improved with direct reliable service to Boston.
The reason used to be Conrail and then it is CSX now.

It will get fixed only after MassDOT manages get CSX out of the Worcester - Springfield segment.

Back