A suprisingly tasty flex meal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it seems that they're serving flex meals in Acela first class. Which is better than the snack box they gave me last October. Anyway, the meal I had was the "short ribs" in bordelaise sauce with mashed potatoes and string beans.

20210414_183801.jpg

It was actually pretty tasty, though the meat was more like the boneless chuck that is my go-to pot roast than short ribs. I had the blondie with a Bailey's and coffee, and I can't really complain.

Of the Flex Meals I had the Shrimp and the Braised Beef on the Silver Star last weekend, and both were better than just acceptable. Though of course restored full dining no doubt will be better, but I am not worried about my trip to NY regarding food anymore, specially now that there is the Omelette for Breakfast too.

How 'bout this idea? They won't go back to traditional dining until all those flex meals are gone! ;)

I say make jiml and his family eat the flex meals until they're gone so we can get back to traditional dining quicker.:cool: I heard they freeze well......as well comparatively so as TV dinners.

I say make jiml and his family eat the flex meals until they're gone so we can get back to traditional dining quicker.:cool: I heard they freeze well......as well comparatively so as TV dinners.
No thanks! I was just suggesting (tongue-in-cheek) that they were going to have to dump them somewhere and why not the NEC? @niemi24s got the joke and made an even better guess.

No thanks! I was just suggesting (tongue-in-cheek) that they were going to have to dump them somewhere and why not the NEC? @niemi24s got the joke and made an even better guess.
It's not like Amtrak has bought an entire year's worth of inventory and stashed them away in a giant freezer somewhere 🤣

0.jpg
The Asian noodle bowl I had several times aboard the California Zephyr was not terrible, and of the two options that I could eat (vegetarian), I definitely found it to be the more appealing. Little heavy on the salt and sugar, but it did supplement some of the carry-on food we brought on.

I had the enchiladas aboard the Acela last week. . It was bland, and not very good, and a frozen TV dinner was definitely a step up. Having had that particular dish aboard Amtrak 5 or 6 times, it is hit or miss whether or not it will be good.

View attachment 21752
The Asian noodle bowl I had several times aboard the California Zephyr was not terrible, and of the two options that I could eat (vegetarian), I definitely found it to be the more appealing. Little heavy on the salt and sugar, but it did supplement some of the carry-on food we brought on.

I had the enchiladas aboard the Acela last week. . It was bland, and not very good, and a frozen TV dinner was definitely a step up. Having had that particular dish aboard Amtrak 5 or 6 times, it is hit or miss whether or not it will be good.
After sampling the Heat and Eat Meals on my last 2 Amtrak LD Trains( first ones in overcast Year) I found the following to be True for Me:

Breakast:
Good: Continental/
Coffee and Juice

Terrible: the Omellete( the Potatos arexOK)and the Jimmy Dean Sandwich

Lunch/Dinner:
Good: Cod and Shrimp with Lobster Sauce/ Brownie/ 1st " On the House" Alcoholic Drink and the Free Non-Alcolic Drinks

Bad: All the Rest including the Skimpy Salads

YMMV

Bad: All the Rest including the Skimpy Salads

Did you actually try all the rest, or is that opinion formed by the thought that the rest of the meals looked unappetizing? I've only had three, because the rest were spicy. The spaghetti and meatballs, the beef dish and the chicken dish. The first two were edible, the chicken dish, which I had on two occasions, the first time the chicken was rubbery plus I found a small piece of what I assume was a bone. The second time it was a bit better, but not good. This was all on one trip, back in December, 2019 on the Cardinal to Washington, the Silver Meteor from WAS to Jacksonville and back, and returning to Chicago on the Cardinal.

Last edited:
Did you actually try all the rest, or is that opinion formed by the thought that the rest of the meals looked unappetizing? I've only had three, because the rest were spicy. The spaghetti and meatballs, the beef dish and the chicken dish. The first two were edible, the chicken dish, which I had on two occasions, the first time the chicken was rubbery plus I found a small piece of what I assume was a bone. The second time it was a bit better, but not good. This was all on one trip, back in December, 2019 on the Cardinal to Washington, the Silver Meteor from WAS to Jacksonville and back, and returning to Chicago on the Cardinal.
I’ve had the chicken several times - in 2019 & 2020 - and enjoyed every time. I preferred it over the other offerings. To each his own.

I usually go for the chicken fettuccine or the spaghetti, sometimes I’ll go with the braised beef. For desert it’s always the heavenly blondie.

I don’t like the flex meals at all. I tolerate the breakfast and the pasta and meatballs. That being said, a diligent crew can be a difference maker. On 48 last month the lady toasted the rolls in the oven and gave me two. The pasta dish tasted better too. So what could have been a miserable meal was made enjoyable. She was tipped well.

I've had the spaghetti and meatballs, the shrimp in lobster sauce and the braised beef. All were very bland,certainly not worthy of the high price sleepers are. A couple of times the pasta wasn't defrosted thoroughly and the shrimp were rubbery. On a three day trip the offerings get old fast Again,I ask why can't they offer a sandwich or a bigger salad to break up the monotony and it would be nice to have something other than a brownie for dessert. Couldn't they offer cheesecake?

From 2 years ago, underwhelmed by the Flex stuff on 48/49, but it did the job, wards off starvation while traveling. No complaints really. Best was the noodle bowl (without adding the sauce) and the breakfast sandwich with the ham removed. The "Blondie" brownie I put in my bag since I'm not really moving around much on the train and can't justify all the sugar... but man are they heavenly. Plus having it later while walking around New York or Chicago, saves a couple of bucks on whatever and again.. they are definitely good!

Anxiously awaiting full dining. Can't wait for a real meal on a VLII Diner - REALLY would love to see the under appreciated Cardinal get one.

Our results on Flex meals on our last trip pretty much matches Michigan Mom's experience. It "wards off starvation".

My favorite by far was the shrimp & andouille dish. As a matter of fact - if they add it to the full dining menu...I'd order anything else on the full dining menu. Let's get real here.

One compliment I will pay to the Silver Meteor staff. They made the most of what they had available. The salads - while tiny - were chilled and fresh. The rolls - while unremarkable - were nicely warmed. The flex meals were prepared about as well as they could be prepared.

So kudos to the staff of the Silver Meteor. And I tipped appropriately. They are not the ones who chose the entrees - but they executed it very well.

Back