A suprisingly tasty flex meal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of the Flex Meals I had the Shrimp and the Braised Beef on the Silver Star last weekend, and both were better than just acceptable. Though of course restored full dining no doubt will be better, but I am not worried about my trip to NY regarding food anymore, specially now that there is the Omelette for Breakfast too.
Hopefully the Omelette will be Heated up correctly. The one I had on my 1st Trip in a Year was Rubbery and Tasteless, but the Potatoes were good!

I had the Mix and Match Continential Breakfast on my 2nd LD Train ( Sunset Ltd) and ot was good!( Coffee, Juice,Yougurt,Dry Cereal and Skim Milk and a Blueberry Muffin that was Heated and with Real Butter.😍

Hopefully the Omelette will be Heated up correctly. The one I had on my 1st Trip in a Year was Rubbery and Tasteless, but the Potatoes were good!

I had the Mix and Match Continential Breakfast on my 2nd LD Train ( Sunset Ltd) and ot was good!( Coffee, Juice,Yougurt,Dry Cereal and Skim Milk and a Blueberry Muffin that was Heated and with Real Butter.😍

Your omelette reminds me of the one I had on the Cardinal a few years back. I learned my lesson and went continental the other times I was out east. I love those blueberry muffins and usually have been known to smuggle two or three back to my room. ;)

I'm sure it's been said here already.... if only they would introduce a prepackaged dinner-size salad within the Flex offerings.. one with meat and one without... makes a great meal and the containers are recyclable/compostable. Would actually cut down on the number of containers needed.

You mean like the salads that were part of the original contemporary meals that were actually of decent quality and packaged attractively?

(Sarcasm is aimed at Amtrak not you).

Yes I 100% agree. You could even do one salad as the “base” and have the pieces of chicken in a separate container that the passenger adds themselves.

How 'bout this idea? They won't go back to traditional dining until all those flex meals are gone! ;)
I just started flashing back to my childhood...
Mom then: "You ARE NOT leaving the table until you eat everything on your plate, young man!"
Amtrak now: "You don't get freshly cooked meals until we have used every last Flex Dining entre in existence! And we have plenty! Bwahaha!"
Me now: :eek:

;)

I just finished my lunch of garlic and herb cod with a glass of white wine on the Coast Starlight.

No complaints here from me.

Now to sleep off that blondie.
View attachment 21787
That was the Best of the Lunch/ Dinner Meals for me on my First 2 trips in a Year, but I prefer the Brownie to the Blondie.( some Diners have a Choice)

I just finished my lunch of garlic and herb cod with a glass of white wine on the Coast Starlight.

No complaints here from me.

Now to sleep off that blondie.
View attachment 21787
I notice that the salad and Blondie get the light of day while the roll is half dark, half lighted. On the other hand, the entree is totally hidden. Sounds like that's one of the "traditional flex meals" - best viewed in the dark in case something is moving on it or one doesn't really want to look at what one is eating.

You mean like the salads that were part of the original contemporary meals that were actually of decent quality and packaged attractively?

(Sarcasm is aimed at Amtrak not you).

Yes I 100% agree. You could even do one salad as the “base” and have the pieces of chicken in a separate container that the passenger adds themselves.

Walmart has a very nice variety of excellent salads in their deli; the various components are packaged separately and all of that, along with a fork (albeit flimsy) is packaged with the lettuce in the main container. All for well under $5 and the portion is HUGE. With that in mind, there is no excuse for Amtrak to not offer a decent salad, or even variety of salads.

Just had a ride on train 3 and tried the Cod as it wasn't yet available when I last rode in February. It was prepared well and was nice and flaky. Had the sugar free vanilla pudding for dessert and it looked the same as pre-COVID. As much as I enjoy Brownies and Blondies just went for a change. Had my go-to the next day, the Chicken Marsala. I have had several different levels of preparation from too long (crunchy noodles) to too short (cold chicken). Granted I'm sure the preparation time is the same but the heating most likely wasn't even. This time it was as perfect as could be for what it is.

As an aside, the LSA said as she came through that she had some help downstairs this trip so she was able to be a bit more flexible with the food seating and delivery times as she normally worked on her own. She said the threshold was usually 30 sleeper passengers before help was added. She said this trip was going to peak at 84 starting the 2nd day with 3 Sleeper Cars (Downstairs Roomettes in the 3rd sleeper reserved for crew). Wasn't too crowded out of LA but when I got off in ABQ a lot of passengers were waiting to get on. There was also a dining car deadheading on the rear.

On all my COVID-era LD trips, the only desserts available were the blondie and brownie. :/

The Vanilla Pudding seems to be hit or miss. It’s a gluten free option so I wish it was always available (as it was on the standard dining menu).

Back