A Trip to York Train Museum.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
A Trip to York Train Museum.

After the extended lockdown, my first train trip was last week, to Liverpool.

Wanting to keep up the momentum this week, I took a rail trip up to York, to view the train museum. I spent one night in Sheffield en-route, to make it seem more of a mini break than a day trip. Just so nice to spend a day or two away from home again!

All the trains I took this week had many more passengers than last week. Folk were still social distancing, but some passengers had to stand in order to maintain the “no seating companion” expectation. A choice of train operating companies, I mostly rode on the cheapest options, which took longer with stops at more minor stations along the way. Mask wearing was a bit hit and miss, one can tell that folk are now simply not seeing it as important enough to do properly, if at all on the trains.

A short “East Midlands Trains” ride of just over an hour brings me to Sheffield. A former heavy industrial city, famed for steel manufacture and steel cutlery particularly. Virtually all the steel industry has closed, but there are still some small niche manufacturers operating.
I once visited the decommissioned site of the Steel Mill at nearby Rotherham. Now a science centre, the place is simply huge, once the world’s largest electric arc furnace site, it was said that when the electric furnace operated, folk could hear the dragon's roar 10 miles away!

IMG_20210602_130657.jpg

My visit today is just to the town centre, but the steel history is still celebrated just outside the train station. A steel fish sculpture, and, while not the scale of the “Chicago Bean,” a shiny wall of steel snakes and shimmers nearby.

IMG_20210602_131100.jpg

A pleasant hotel stay overnight, and so back to the station for the ride up to York itself. A “Northern Rail” train this time, only two cars long. Quite a crowd waiting to board, felt lucky to get a pair of seats to myself!

Arriving into York, I was impressed by the station itself. York has many ancient buildings, so as I was too early for the train museum, I took a short walk up to see York Minster, and also viewed the other old buildings and streets in the area.

IMG_20210603_135116.jpg

The river Ouse runs through York, and it was busy with pleasure craft conducting tourist trips today.

IMG_20210603_134020.jpg

One is obliged to pre-book a time slot on line for (free) admission, and that went smoothly. A lot of family groups visiting, not just “sad old men” train fans…

I liked the locomotives and the old rolling stock, saw quite a few surprises.

I used to operate the Brush type loco pictured when I worked for B.R. back in the day. We called it a “toffee apple” Brush, as the cab change-ends key was hefty, and looked a bit toffee apple shaped!

IMG_20210603_150851.jpg

Interested to see a GWR futuristic railcar, didn’t know that existed at all.

IMG_20210603_145017.jpg

Cut away of the workings of a real steam engine, and the Mallard Loco, holder of the Steam speed record.

IMG_20210603_150416.jpg IMG_20210603_144534.jpg

I loved the decorations, the clock and the whole roof span of York station too, so snapped a few shots while waiting for my train home to Nottingham.

IMG_20210603_160931.jpg

IMG_20210603_161220.jpg

Many more pics, of course, but one can over egg the pudding, as they say...

my next week's train trip is already booked, so "watch this space"! Thanks for reading!

Love this museum! I ended up a few years back having a few days of enforced leisure (because Aston University in Birmingham got me the wrong visa, so I couldn't teach--even without pay!--in their summer school. ) So, without 'work' to do, I took the train up to York and environs and had a lovely visit at the train museum while there. Amazing number of engines and cars there, and just enough detail to satisfy the railfan without boring the merely curious. I'd forgotten how charming York is for a ramble. And the countryside round those parts isn't too shabby, either.

Nice report. The cutaway is of a rebuilt Bulleid Merchant Navy “Ellerman Lines”, 35029. Very handsome engines, IMHO (whisper it, but I think the rebuilt ones look better). Note the Bulleid Firth Brown wheels.

Great post, CaravanMan!
I like Wiki's description of the engineer of the locomotive of the Mallard on its record breaking run:
" Selected to crew the locomotive on its record-breaking attempt were driver Joseph Duddington (a man renowned within the LNER for taking calculated risks) and fireman Thomas Bray. "
Kind of reminds me of a slightly less cautious engineer by the name of Casey Jones. I saw a video the other day about Casey Jones that is kind of whimsical, it uses a model railroad instead of CGI to model the wreck of Casey Jones and Ole 382. A big bonus is that the singer is Johnny Cash.

Last edited:
Great post, CaravanMan!
I like the description of the engineer of the locomotive of the Mallard on its record breaking run:
" Selected to crew the locomotive on its record-breaking attempt were driver Joseph Duddington (a man renowned within the LNER for taking calculated risks) and fireman Thomas Bray. "
Of course, the record wasn’t the only thing they broke. Gresley’s Pacifics were three-cylinder affairs, the middle cylinder transmitting drive to a cranked axle. The bearings on the rods had a tendency to overheat, and the record-breaking run did exactly that.

It is, but in operating terms it isn’t inconvenient, because all trains stop there. York enjoys arguably the best service in the country. Two trains an hour to/from London in under two hours (for 188 miles) and good links elsewhere.
Wasn’t referencing any “gap” in schedules, but the one between the carriage doors and the platform on such a curve…😉

Wasn’t referencing any “gap” in schedules, but the one between the carriage doors and the platform on such a curve…😉
I realised that - and your pause after “mind” clearly means you are the recorded voice on the London Underground 🙂. I suppose with most mainline trains having doors at the ends of cars it isn’t usually an issue these days.

Great post, CaravanMan!
I like Wiki's description of the engineer of the locomotive of the Mallard on its record breaking run:
Kind of reminds me of a slightly less cautious engineer by the name of Casey Jones. I saw a video the other day about Casey Jones that is kind of whimsical, it uses a model railroad instead of CGI to model the wreck of Casey Jones and Ole 382. A big bonus is that the singer is Johnny Cash.

I remember the 1960s TV series loosely - probably very loosely - based on his exploits.

I realised that - and your pause after “mind” clearly means you are the recorded voice on the London Underground 🙂. I suppose with most mainline trains having doors at the ends of cars it isn’t usually an issue these days.
It is if you’re on the outside of the curve.😉
The only recording I’ve done is, “Stand clear of the closing doors….”😁

Back