A Weekend Visit to NYP and WAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railroad Bill

Buckeye Train Watcher
AU Supporting Member
After a successful trip to New England in April, we decided to venture out to New York to see the new Moynihan Train Hall and a brief visit to Washington DC to evaluate the changes that have occurred since January 6.

We began at our CLE station after a 1.5 hour drive from home. The station was relatively empty with fewer Amish riders and a scattering of passengers waiting for the three trains that would soon arrive between 2-4am. A new agent since our last visit and the old station continues to show its age.

Our Capitol Ltd arrived about 30 minutes late and we made our way to the rear coach for a lower level trip to PGH. Our conductor suggested that there was more room upstairs but we opted to stay in LL since wife has some issues now with stairs and our luggage rack was completely full.
LL Coach was completely full but some nice people moved to single seat so we could sit together in the front seat. More leg room and place to put our luggage.

A quick 2.5 hour ride to PGH and except for the extra noise of sleeping passengers and a few with some medical issues, we made it to PGH just half hour down.

The PGH station was having some major reconstruction involving the escalator so unless you can handle the very long flight of stairs to get to the basement waiting room, you must wait on the small and slow elevator to transport you down. With a number of CL passengers transferring and those already ticketed on the Pennsylvanian 42, the waiting room was nearly full. Not much has changed about PGH. There are no restaurants close by, especially at 5am and a long row of vending machines didn't produce much that would work for breakfast. The construction crews were up early and they kept the noise level somewhat busy. There is a block across the stairway to the upstairs so you cannot wait on the platform until the train is called at 7:15am. I decided to take a walk up the street and enjoy some fresh air on the street without a mask and enjoy watching the buses and commuters moving about the downtown.

At 7:15 a boarding call led to a mass exodus up the stairway. I decided to carry our two bags up the stairs while my wife took the elevator. Wanted to get seats on the south side of the train since scenery is better (Horseshoe Curve, other points). We were in BC and it was filling fast but I did secure those two seats after a brief heart attack going up those stairs....smiles 😁

We left PGH right on time at 7:30 and were greeted by a friendly conductor and announcements regarding mask requirements, including how you would be detrained if you failed to comply. The cafe car was just behind our car and thus I made my way back for a couple of breakfast Jimmy Dean sandwiches, a blueberry muffin, and some juice. Drinks are included in your fare, so the total for the morning was $13 + tip to the excellent attendant who moved quickly and efficiently to keep the line going.

I have traveled via land to this part of central PA many times for our railfan trips to Johnstown, Cresson and Altoona so it was nice to see some familiar territory as our trips were all cancelled in 2020. Did not look like the Johnstown lift was operating, but plenty of passengers getting on at the many stops along the way. Passed our Station Inn B&B in Cresson and through the Gallitzin Tunnel before seeing the remains of a giant derailment of Fedex trailers a few miles west of Horseshoe Curve. Crews still working to clean up the area although the tracks were put back in service rather quickly. We were lucky that no freights were on Track 1 as we passed the Curve so we had a great view of the park and old locomotive. The conductor on the intercom gave a brief history of the area as we passed.

We arrived in Altoona a few minutes late and then passed the large NS Juniata Shops that produced steam engines in its day and still services diesel units in its large service buildings. We soon reached the headwaters of the Juniata River and followed it off and on as we moved east. We arrived in Harrisburg in good time and were given some time to walk the platform while crews were changed there. A few Keystone trains were present that operate on the electric lines overhead. Our P42 #121 continued to operate under diesel power until exchanged for electric in Philadelphia.

Conductor announcement that we would add 100 more passengers in Harrisburg and Lancaster and that single seat passengers should move together to allow for families with children to sit together. Business class on 42 are not reserved seats and thus these moves can take place more easily. There was general compliance in our car as we added new riders.
I would say about 90% of passengers complied with the mask rules. Some had the mask below their nose and were reminded again that all masks were to be worn over the mouth and nose. No one was forced to leave in our car. Not sure how things were going in coach.

After a nice trip through Amish Country, we arrived in Philadelphia about half hour down. We had a brief stop to change engines but could not leave the train. Also I had forgotten that we would now be moving up the corridor in the opposite direction; thus we rode backwards to NYP. Not a problem for me but some passengers have issues riding backwards.

We made good progress up to Trenton and Newark and saw the NY skyline appear after a pleasant ride through the industrial east coast. We were excited to see the new Moynihan Train Hall and after some long walks to find the proper elevator to the surface. (There were yellow markers on the platform to guide one to the proper stairways and lifts. ), we arrived in the middle of the station. WOW! What a beautiful station. Not that crowded for 5pm, but plenty of space to spread out compared to the old dungeon of Penn Station. I took some photos and enjoyed the experience but it was time to get to our hotel.. Fairfield Inn on 33rd Street, Walked up the ramp to the 8th Avenue & 33rd corner and now its New York City...lots of people moving about. I pulled our two pieces of luggage down the street and people were very pleasant and polite. A large majority had masks on, even outside, and it was good to be back in the Big Apple again.

Our hotel was right across the street from the train station and thus convenient without using other transportation. Lobby was friendly and as a Marriott member we were welcomed and they explained the key system. Our room on the 8th floor faced 33rd St so we could watch the traffic in and out of the station.
Decided to take a walk around the streets and found the Tick Tock Diner on the corner that looked inviting. Service was very good and friendly. Had a couple of sandwiches that were huge with some waffle fries. Lots of memorabilia on the walls. I believe our Amtrak Unlimited Gathering group ate here during the NY Gathering a few years ago that I missed. Certainly plenty of room available for large groups to congregate. After a long day on the train, we decided to call it an evening. Some great views of the Empire State Building...

Attachments

• Amtrak 42 Fedex Derail June 2021.mp4
    19.3 MB
  • 20210624_180656.jpg
    20210624_180656.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210624_181600.jpg
    20210624_181600.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210624_182027.jpg
    20210624_182027.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
We started our day with a bag breakfast provided by the hotel. Juices, pastry, oranges, muffins, yogurt was provided with coffee. A very nice clean place to stay and was very reasonable compared to other NY hotels. And did I say convenience... Walked across the street and were guided to the Metropolitan Lounge by a friendly security guard. Check in was quick and since we had sleeper tickets on the CL29 later in the day, we were privileged to use this fantastic facility. There were only about six people in the lounge at 6:45 am so we found a seat near the balcony overlooking the train hall and went up to the food counter to order breakfast. The very nice attendant fixed some egg & cheese croissants, some fruit and milk and delivered to our table. There were numerous choices of liquid refreshments and sandwiches for those who were ready for lunch. As nice as the new Chicago lounge is, this one takes the award for quality. Everything being brand new and modern restrooms, large seating areas for privacy, etc. We had time to enjoy the experience before our Acela 2109 was called to board at 7:45. A convenient escalator takes you to the main floor and then we lined up at the gate for the escalator ride down to Track 7.

Our train left right on time at 8am and we had seats in the BC car #5. We hit 135 mph a couple of times according to my GPS monitor as we sped down the corrridor. When we arrived in PHL, was able to see the new Acela trainset sitting in the yards. Very classy blue color. We had a number of people who were sitting in the wrong seat and our conductor spend time moving people back to where they were assigned. Not sure if they were confused or were just too busy to check their seat number.

We made good time through Wilmington, where I spend some time many years ago doing research on a book, and then on to Baltimore and the historic tunnels. We arrived in WAS at around 11am and made our way up the platform to the station. What a surprise to see how many businesses were gone from the concourses. Many stores and restaurants are gone, chairs were removed from some waiting areas. A ghost like appearance for a grand station.

We rang the bell for the lounge and found only about 5 people in the room. There was a small table with a few chips and pastries and a beverage area with soft drinks and water. Just like always but after seeing NY, its seemed quite sparse. The lounge is showing its age after many years, bathrooms are falling apart and the staff seemed tired and not as friendly as I remembered. We stored our bags and since we did not have much time until we would leave on Capitol Ltd 29, we grabbed a burger at Wendys and headed outside to catch the Red Circulator Bus in front of Union Station. The bus is now free, boarding through the rear door and the route had some variations from its former schedule. There were a large family and a couple of other passengers who rode with us as we passed down the Mall museums, around Wash & Lincoln Memorials and circled to the other side of the Mall to Air & Space, Smithsonian, and Indian Museums and past the Capitol with its high fences. Time tickets are needed for museums and so we decided to just ride the bus and enjoy our memories of many trips to Washington DC.

We were told to be back at the lounge by 3 for Red Cap Service and our jovial RC arrived at 3:30 to take us and two there couples to our sleeping car #2900 at the head of the train. We were in Bedroom D and our SCA Cliff came around to say hi and take our orders for dinner. Since the diner is being used as both a cafe and sleeper class diner, (He called it a food service car). There is little space to use the diner section and he encouraged us to eat in our room.

Really miss all the great meals in the diner and meeting so many interesting folks along the way.
I had the pasta and meatballs, salad, rolls and the blonde brownie. Wife had the shrimp, pasta, salad roll and brownie. They were ok, very hot and plenty to eat. But after seeing the same menu on our recent Lake Shore trip for three days, it would be nice to see some variety in the eastern train menus.

Our CL 29 left on time and we enjoyed the scenery of the Potomac River, Harpers Ferry and Martinsburg before reaching Cumberland Md at 7:30. We had Cliff put our beds down at 9:30 and tried to get some sleep as we moved toward PGH. We actually made good time until forced to sit in a yard southeast of Cleveland waiting for a CSX freight and the eastbound 30 to pass. With some track work around the station, we had to pull past the station and back into the station siding. Our conductor was a congenial man who talked to us about the increase in traffic and how Amtrak needed to put on more cars to meet the need. The CL is only running with 2 coaches and 2 sleepers and could use more capacity.
We arrived in CLE about 3:30 and drove home on a quiet I-71.

Attachments

• 20210624_171109.jpg
    20210624_171109.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210624_171113.jpg
    20210624_171113.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210624_171128.jpg
    20210624_171128.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210625_063524.jpg
    20210625_063524.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210625_063614.jpg
    20210625_063614.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210625_063705.jpg
    20210625_063705.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210625_063531.jpg
    20210625_063531.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210625_071053.jpg
    20210625_071053.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210625_063710.jpg
    20210625_063710.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210625_071048.jpg
    20210625_071048.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Passed our Station Inn B&B in Cresson and through the Gallitzin Tunnel before seeing the remains of a giant derailment of Fedex trailers a few miles west of Horseshoe Curve. Crews still working to clean up the area although the tracks were put back in service rather quickly.

Ah, yes, the derailment that messed up my Pittsburgh Circle Trip. They had the tracks back in service very quickly for the freights, as we saw several long multimodal double stack trains from the bus. And that was more or less the day after the derailment. Unfortunately, the Pennsylvanian was not included in that service restoration, thus our bustitution from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh. The video you posted is pretty amazing, with all those trailers lying by the side of the tracks. I presume there were a lot of people disappointed that their shipments haven't been delivered...

Speaking of derailments, doesn't one get the impression these days that the US has way many more derailments than almost anywhere else? We seem to have a couple or few almost every week. Is this because more of them are reported in the news or is there something else going on, like too much "Precision" and all that?

Ah, yes, the derailment that messed up my Pittsburgh Circle Trip. They had the tracks back in service very quickly for the freights, as we saw several long multimodal double stack trains from the bus. And that was more or less the day after the derailment. Unfortunately, the Pennsylvanian was not included in that service restoration, thus our bustitution from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh. The video you posted is pretty amazing, with all those trailers lying by the side of the tracks. I presume there were a lot of people disappointed that their shipments haven't been delivered...
I think I read the containers were empties.

I think I read the containers were empties.
Indeed that may be the very reason that they toppled over. The NS folks are apparenty still trying to learn some simple Physics and reconcile with their "Precision" zeal. This is a repeat performance twice over on the Horseshoe Curve in the last several months.

I'm curious what you were researching in Wilmington.

That happened before the pandemic.
I wrote a book on railroads in our area and the Hagley Library on the Dupont property had a fantastic archive of PRR documents. Made two trips there in 1999=2000. We stayed in Maryland with Claudia's cousin and I drove back and forth each day for several wild and crazy trips on I-95. That was an experience I will not forget. Just missed being involved in a big wreck. Saw it out of my rear view mirror and was glad to get back . In our little town. 3 cars at a stop sign is a traffic jam..smiles

Nice trip Bill! Glad to see yall getting out and about, and I sure felt like I was there with yall since I actually was in early May as you know!

How's Summer going in Ohio? Playing much Golf?
Enjoyed our trip, perfect weather. Playing golf 3 times each week when my back can take it. Was in 90s last week but nice today 72

My understanding is that the trailers were all empty.

Speaking of derailments, doesn't one get the impression these days that the US has way many more derailments than almost anywhere else? We seem to have a couple or few almost every week. Is this because more of them are reported in the news or is there something else going on, like too much "Precision" and all that?
There have been two significant derailments near the Curve in the past few months. All trailer or containers Track elevation??

There have been two significant derailments near the Curve in the past few months. All trailer or containers Track elevation??
I understand both derailments involved empties ahead of a string of loaded cars behind them, while the power was mostly if not wholly ahead of the empties.

Back