AAA Discount

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If my wife and I are travelling together do we have to have two different AAA membership numbers to receive the discount? I will not be travelling with my AAA, well because I will not need it. Will I have to have it on my person at anytime during my trip?

Thank you, once again, in advance!

Technically you should have it with you if you're using it, however it is very unlikely that you'd be asked to show it while onboard the train. I've only heard of a few people ever being asked by the conductor to show their card.

However, if you plan to visit an agent to pick up your tickets, the odds are much higher that you'll be asked to show your card.

When I tried to pick up tickets at a Amtrak window, I was asked for my current AAA card. As we bought the tix online months before and forgot to put our renewed AAA membership cards in our wallets for the trip, we'd have been screwed if there were not a Quik-Trak machine that didn't care either way about the card.

Best take it with you, just in case.

When I tried to pick up tickets at a Amtrak window, I was asked for my current AAA card. As we bought the tix online months before and forgot to put our renewed AAA membership cards in our wallets for the trip, we'd have been screwed if there were not a Quik-Trak machine that didn't care either way about the card.
I don't see what difference it would make to the agent :blink: if you paid online and didn't have your card handy. My question is do they get a cake or a new car for all the trouble they gave you :angry: ? Do they get some kind of reward for screwing up your trip? Stuff like that does not make sense to me. Maybe I"m slow.

I don't see what difference it would make to the agent :blink: if you paid online and didn't have your card handy. My question is do they get a cake or a new car for all the trouble they gave you :angry: ? Do they get some kind of reward for screwing up your trip? Stuff like that does not make sense to me. Maybe I"m slow.
Um, you're given a monetary discount for being a AAA member. You've got to be joking if you think the agent isn't obligated to ensure you actually qualify for the discount? Possessing an expired card is in no way proof you are a current member. How about instead of you blaming the agent for doing their job you blame the person who forgot to bring a valid card. What is the AAA discount anyway? I'm sure it's not peanuts.

Um, you're given a monetary discount for being a AAA member. You've got to be joking if you think the agent isn't obligated to ensure you actually qualify for the discount? Possessing an expired card is in no way proof you are a current member. How about instead of you blaming the agent for doing their job you blame the person who forgot to bring a valid card. What is the AAA discount anyway? I'm sure it's not peanuts.
If you're a member at the time you purchased the tickets -- possibly eleven months before when you pick them up and board the train -- then you're entitled to the discount. I don't think there's any requirement that you still be a member at time of travel... so displaying a AAA membership card that was valid at time of purchase (regardless of whether it's still valid or has since expired, and regardless of whether you are in fact still a member) should be perfectly acceptable.

Unless in the fine print there's a stipulation that you must be a AAA member at each of (1) time of sale, (2) time of picking up tickets, and (3) time of travel, or else you retroactively become ineligible for the discount you were eligible for at time of sale ... and I'll admit I can't say for certain that there's no such stipulation, but I would be very surprised to learn there actually is such a written policy.

No, not joking, just pointing out that (1) they do expect to see a card and (2) it's got to be current, no matter that it was current when I actually bought the ticket, which I still think is reasonable. If it weren't, why would the machine accepting the circumstances be ok? Where do you get off about me blaming the agent? It wasn't her, it was Amtrak's inconsistent policy.

If you're a member at the time you purchased the tickets -- possibly eleven months before when you pick them up and board the train -- then you're entitled to the discount. I don't think there's any requirement that you still be a member at time of travel... so displaying a AAA membership card that was valid at time of purchase (regardless of whether it's still valid or has since expired, and regardless of whether you are in fact still a member) should be perfectly acceptable.

Unless in the fine print there's a stipulation that you must be a AAA member at each of (1) time of sale, (2) time of picking up tickets, and (3) time of travel, or else you retroactively become ineligible for the discount you were eligible for at time of sale ... and I'll admit I can't say for certain that there's no such stipulation, but I would be very surprised to learn there actually is such a written policy.
Thanks for the backup. Here's Amtrak's page on using the AAA discount.

Nowhere does it say you need a current card when boarding or picking up tickets. It does say "...you must carry your card with you onboard the train."

I maintain I fulfilled my contract when purchasing the ticket online, by Amtrak's conditions. Presenting a current card at ticket pickup or on the train is another matter. But I'm not one to paint myself into a corner trying to board while arguing with agents or conductors not understanding there jobs. I'll take a current card with me.

I maintain I fulfilled my contract when purchasing the ticket online, by Amtrak's conditions. Presenting a current card at ticket pickup or on the train is another matter. But I'm not one to paint myself into a corner trying to board while arguing with agents or conductors not understanding there jobs. I'll take a current card with me.
I wouldn't want to risk being refused boarding or thrown off a train arguing over such a point!

We used to have AAA issue our tickets, and still we were usually asked for our AAA card when checking our luggage in. I have since learned ... from this board ... NOT to get our tickets ahead of time, but as we ALWAYS have luggage to check in ... I'll be ready with my card.

It specifically includes spouses and dependants, so you don't need a second card.

Hotels can and do ask for the card even if you reserved in advance. Amtrak isn't any different.

Where do you get off about me blaming the agent? It wasn't her, it was Amtrak's inconsistent policy.

Well, you may want to re-read my post and perhaps notice that your post isn't the post I responded to.

Well, you may want to re-read my post and perhaps notice that your post isn't the post I responded to.
You know what? You're right. Egg on my face and apologies all around.

My bad, crawling back under my rock now.

:(
No worries. I'd be the last person to try to convince anyone that none of Amtrak's policies are inconsistently applied and/or enforced.

Honestly though, regarding this post and the other one on this topic, it does appear to me that Amtrak is indeed consistent in requiring a modicum of proof in order to qualify for monetary discounts to tickets.

You know what? You're right. Egg on my face and apologies all around.

My bad, crawling back under my rock now.

:(
No worries. I'd be the last person to try to convince anyone that none of Amtrak's policies are inconsistently applied and/or enforced.

Honestly though, regarding this post and the other one on this topic, it does appear to me that Amtrak is indeed consistent in requiring a modicum of proof in order to qualify for monetary discounts to tickets.
Yes I agree, they are consistent about that.

So a year or two ago I'm heading to HFD from PHL and decide to terminate my trip in Berlin, one stop below HFD. It was more convienent for my ride to pick me up there than in HFD. While waiting to get picked up I decide to get my return ticket to PHL from HFD three days hence. No one is in the station or around the area except me and the ticket agent behind the window. No Quik-Trak machine but there is the agent, who asks for my DL, AAA card, and credit card. I say to him that I usually use the machine for ticketing, so why all the fuss when I speak to an agent. An honest man he is, who says if I didn't ask you for all these cards they wouldn,t need me here in Berlin. And so it goes.

So a year or two ago I'm heading to HFD from PHL and decide to terminate my trip in Berlin, one stop below HFD. It was more convienent for my ride to pick me up there than in HFD. While waiting to get picked up I decide to get my return ticket to PHL from HFD three days hence. No one is in the station or around the area except me and the ticket agent behind the window. No Quik-Trak machine but there is the agent, who asks for my DL, AAA card, and credit card. I say to him that I usually use the machine for ticketing, so why all the fuss when I speak to an agent. An honest man he is, who says if I didn't ask you for all these cards they wouldn,t need me here in Berlin. And so it goes.
Somehow, that makes perfect sense.

Not!

Hey, everyone said the ATM would be the end of bank tellers. That didn't happen. I doubt quick-trac machines are going to completely replace station and ticket agents.

The OP said:

I will not be travelling with my AAA, well because I will not need it. Will I have to have it on my person at anytime during my trip?
When you get to your destination, by any chance will you be riding in you parent's/brother's/sister's/friend's/etc... car, and they are NOT AAA members? :huh: If you are riding in that car, and have your AAA card on you, THE CAR IS COVERED BY AAA! ;)

So why not carry the card with you? :huh:

My partner is a AAA member, and I am not.. When we booked our ticket to Chicago, we got the AAA discount. When we picked up our ticket at WIN, the gal asked to view the AAA card she printed the tickets.

Bring it with you anway, as other said why not bring it to have coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back