AAPRCO in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Private varnish is, regularly, seen at Union Station. It is RARE to see it at LaSalle, as us currently their layover through tonight.

Between Covid restrictions and Andersons' iron-handed PV rules and rates, the size of the AARPCO convention trains has really dwindled. Maybe 20 years ago, I happened upon the convention at Portland, OR and they had 20-25 cars there.

About 40 years ago, I had more money than these days and managed a couple of trips on Lehigh Valley 353 (now at Steamtown, I believe) with owner Dick Horstmann. On one trip, I even rode with William Gaines, creator of MAD Magazine! After chatting with him a while, it became abundantly clear that he was MAD Magazine and the magazine was him!

Riding on a PV is a luxury one can easily become accustomed to. But these days, lots of money is the prime requirement.

Brings back Memories of the Rainbow Train Days,and Better Times when you could actually sit/stand on the Platform on the back of your PV while rolling down the Rails!

As one, late, railfan friend once commented (as we watched a slide show of the early Amtrak days), "EVERY trip was a fantrip!"

Back