Abbreviations?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a site that I can easily refer to that lists the meaning of all abbreviations used on Amtrak Unlimited (AU)? The ones referencing a station are relatively easy to find but some of the others less so. One all inclusive list would be great.

Just ask if you're confused by one. We often use acronyms for the names of some of the trains (LSL = Lake Shore Limited), and also for commuter rail operators (MN = Metro-North, LIRR = Long Island Rail Road), and there's also a few technical terms like PTC ("Positive Train Control").

That and the station codes are the only commonly used acronyms I can think of here, other than acronyms used by the entire Internet like LOL, ROTFL, YMMV, IMO, IMHO, IMNHSO, AFAIK, etc.

Of course, to some of us, PTC means Philadelphia Transportation Company, one of the precursors to SEPTA (don't ask! :) )

To those in the amusement industry, PTC has stood for the Philadelphia Toboggan Company, later renamed Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters. They made great classic coasters and carousels, and continue to make coaster trains to this day. :D

Just ask if you're confused by one. We often use acronyms for the names of some of the trains (LSL = Lake Shore Limited), and also for commuter rail operators (MN = Metro-North, LIRR = Long Island Rail Road), and there's also a few technical terms like PTC ("Positive Train Control").

That and the station codes are the only commonly used acronyms I can think of here, other than acronyms used by the entire Internet like LOL, ROTFL, YMMV, IMO, IMHO, IMNHSO, AFAIK, etc.
Funny, living in metro north territory I always use MNRR, not the shorter MN.

I totally understand the O.P. and thanks for direction to the decoder.
Other sites I visit use this insider-speak a lot more with no explanation.
Like old car forums guys will speak only in paint code#s, body code designation or engine code. How hard is it to say “the car is purple”, a Cuda and it’s got a 440.

Out of that list I believe only "LOL" qualifies as an acronym while ROTFL has never qualified as anything other than an outright lie. :D

Back