about the black bear at SPUD

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any bear matters. You should have seen our whole town when a cub treed himself here. Must have been 1000 persons viewing until wildlife persons got him down. Afraid to trank fall could have done major damage.

We had a bear turn up a couple of years ago in the University District of Seattle on a Saturday night. A couple of college students first assumed it was a guy in a bear suit (!) The interesting thing was, the bear obviously came from the East Side woods, but to get to the U District, he'd have had to go over at least one major bridge. So, how did he manage that without being seen??

There was a bear that swam to Orcas Island a few years ago. It created quite a stir, but didn't do any damage. It was captured at a woman's home who had experience with bears, and she actually kept the bear hidden in a cage under a tarp for a day while carpenters were at her home because she didn't want to attract publicity.

Regular watchers of the Virtual Railfan camera in Revelstoke will know how often they've captured black bears (and other critters) crossing the tracks. Of even more note is watching them and wolves/coyotes stroll casually from between peoples' homes on the other side of the tracks. Yikes!

It's usually not a bear problem, it's more often a people problem. Humans failing to properly store their food and other "smellables" while camping, or now, at their own homes.

Bears, deer, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, they all seem to be moving back into areas that for generations have seen few of them. Last month we saw a black bear in West Arlington/East Falls Church which is the first time in over 50 years, apparently. You see them outside the Beltway, but very seldom inside. The Beltway, that is.
And oddly enough, East Falls Church is actually in Arlington, so it is an ARLINGTON bear. We want that to be perfectly clear. We don't get bears often enough to want to share. As opposed to some other places....

https://www.arlnow.com/2020/05/27/n...-sighting-in-east-falls-church/#disqus_thread

We've had insane amounts of goslings and ducklings in the parks around me. Lots of cranes and herons too (even in the inner city).

Even a few years ago friends of mine found a deer in their gangway - they are only a few blocks from Wrigley Field, those of you familiar with that area know how urban that is.

We've had insane amounts of goslings and ducklings in the parks around me. Lots of cranes and herons too (even in the inner city).

Even a few years ago friends of mine found a deer in their gangway - they are only a few blocks from Wrigley Field, those of you familiar with that area know how urban that is.
In the two years I've lived in Chicago I have seen coyotes in three separate locations all well within city limits: Northerly Island, Graceland Cemetery, and along the Metra UP-NW Line at California Avenue.

Oh you are SO cancelled!

Anybody heard how bears are in Yellowstone/Grand Teton this year? Someone on another board I follow was asking.
Heading to Jackson Hole, Grand Teton area for the summer on Friday. Go every summer and have had many bear sightings and encounters. Have seen and taken many pictures of 399. Shes 24 this year I think. There are always plenty of bears.

I used to travel to see Scarface in North Yellowstone. Got a great shot of him when he was in his prime. Sadly, a younger male grizzly took his territory a few years ago and Scarface was shot in Gardner when he was raiding a garbage can and surprised a home owner. How the mighty have fallen!

Heading to Jackson Hole, Grand Teton area for the summer on Friday. Go every summer and have had many bear sightings and encounters. Have seen and taken many pictures of 399. Shes 24 this year I think. There are always plenty of bears.

Last edited:
Bears, deer, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, they all seem to be moving back into areas that for generations have seen few of them. Last month we saw a black bear in West Arlington/East Falls Church which is the first time in over 50 years, apparently. You see them outside the Beltway, but very seldom inside. The Beltway, that is.
And oddly enough, East Falls Church is actually in Arlington, so it is an ARLINGTON bear. We want that to be perfectly clear. We don't get bears often enough to want to share. As opposed to some other places....

https://www.arlnow.com/2020/05/27/n...-sighting-in-east-falls-church/#disqus_thread
We've apparently got bears in Baltimore, too.

I'm going to have to be a bit more attentive when I go hiking by myself.

Apparently, we also have coyotes in Maryland (and in Maine, too, and all up and down the northeast). But I've never heard them howl at night like I did one night in the backcountry of Sequoia National park in California. That was really weird and eerie. Is there something about moving east that shuts them up?

I am going to flag my own post and ask that it be deleted. After reflection and viewing comments I decided this was a poor attempt at humor. I should have known better in the first place.

I tried to notify the administrators to remove it. But I apparently can’t report on myself. I did remove the original post and replaced it with another apology.

It’s not removed from the posts where others responded to me. I did not want to mess with other people’s contributions and make things worse. I’ll send a PM to Penny and ask her to evaluate and fix it.

Last edited:
In the two years I've lived in Chicago I have seen coyotes in three separate locations all well within city limits: Northerly Island, Graceland Cemetery, and along the Metra UP-NW Line at California Avenue.
I've seen them on south LSD many times late at night as well as along the tracks at dusk on summer evenings. Even along one side of the platform as passengers were getting off a train, right there on the other track was a coyote trotting along, not bothered in the least by a dozen or so people walking a few feet higher than it.

Love that area, stayed in Wilson a couple years ago and my friends neighbors had seen bears one evening when we came home. We saw a moose and her calf at Phelps Lake.

Back