about the black bear at SPUD

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was driving on the ramp that leads from the the bishop Ford expressway to stony Island. Almost hit a deer!! Had to slam on the breaks. Last place I would expect to see a deer.

I live in a subdivision next to the Palos park station. I have seen a coyote several times n two years. Saw a fox too.

I was driving on the ramp that leads from the the bishop Ford expressway to stony Island. Almost hit a deer!! Had to slam on the breaks. Last place I would expect to see a deer.

I live in a subdivision next to the Palos park station. I have seen a coyote several times n two years. Saw a fox too.
I live in the middle of Austin and I regularly see Deer, Foxes and Coyotes along the Creeks that run through the City.

Rich folks that live up in the Hills to the West of Downtown pressure the City to get rid of the pesky animals that come into their Neighborhood!😣

It can be very interesting as to what wildlife one encounters depending upon where one lives. My Nephew and his family have a home in a very wooded/semi-rural area North of Anchorage. He has had on more than one occasion a moose family take up residence for a day or two on his property. Once, the moose family was between the house and the garage so they became "quarantined" until the family moved along.

Love that area, stayed in Wilson a couple years ago and my friends neighbors had seen bears one evening when we came home. We saw a moose and her calf at Phelps Lake.
Phelps Lake is nice especially with a moose and calf. Plenty of them in that area. Have spent many a Sunday night at Stagecoach dancing! Glad you have experience the area. Wilson is a nice place to stay.

While spending Fathers Day @ my daughters house on Lake LBJ in the Texas Hill Country, we got to see a Doe with her Twin Fawns ( still Spotted)resting in the shade next to the house.

There often are herds of Deer in their yard and they live in the middle of town, Granite Shoals.

We've apparently got bears in Baltimore, too.

I'm going to have to be a bit more attentive when I go hiking by myself.

Apparently, we also have coyotes in Maryland (and in Maine, too, and all up and down the northeast). But I've never heard them howl at night like I did one night in the backcountry of Sequoia National park in California. That was really weird and eerie. Is there something about moving east that shuts them up?
Carry bear spray. It really works. Watch the wind direction though:)

I hear you about how jarring it is to hear coyotes, but the one that actually woke me up was when I heard a wolf howl in south central Montana. I was asleep with the window open for fresh air and I woke up around 3 in the morning and couldn't figure out why I woke up so abruptly. Then the wolf howled again and it was an amazing feeling. Animals connect to us in odd ways and the sounds of wolves and coyotes are unusual. As is the sound of a rattlesnake... LOL!
And seeing some animals just reminds you of our place in the pecking order. I saw a big old grizzly named Scarface at Yellowstone several years ago and went back until I got a photo of him. That was one impressive animal. I was using a LONG lens. Scarface.jpg

We've apparently got bears in Baltimore, too.

I'm going to have to be a bit more attentive when I go hiking by myself.

Apparently, we also have coyotes in Maryland (and in Maine, too, and all up and down the northeast). But I've never heard them howl at night like I did one night in the backcountry of Sequoia National park in California. That was really weird and eerie. Is there something about moving east that shuts them up?

You were going fast enough there to have to slow down? We're always stuck in traffic on those ramps - the light at 95th is a notorious congestion area. But no surprise with all the forest preserves and undeveloped area around there.

I live in the middle of Austin and I regularly see Deer, Foxes and Coyotes along the Creeks that run through the City.

Rich folks that live up in the Hills to the West of Downtown pressure the City to get rid of the pesky animals that come into their Neighborhood!😣

For a minute I thought you were talking about the neighborhood of Austin in Chicago, the creeks and hills west of downtown clued me in...

:) This reminds me of the person who called a Minnesota (?) radio station to complain about the state putting deer crossing signs in areas that were unsafe for the deer to cross. She seemed to think that the deer were actually following state instruction to cross near the deer crossing signs...

How dare animals come near where people live!:mad:

Last edited:
:) This reminds me of the person who called a Minnesota (?) radio station to complain about the state putting deer crossing signs in areas that were unsafe for the deer to cross. She seemed to think that the deer were actually following state instruction to cross near the deer crossing signs..
ROTFLMAO!!!

:) This reminds me of the person who called a Minnesota (?) radio station to complain about the state putting deer crossing signs in areas that were unsafe for the deer to cross. She seemed to think that the deer were actually following state instruction to cross near the deer crossing signs...

I've heard those stories too (there was a website dedicated to that kind of, um, stupidity, iirc). Best one I heard was somebody who thought that the abbreviation for "Crossing" - "xing" was an actual word pronounced, essentially, 'sing.'

Well that might be what xi said, but I think the x should be pronounced like it is in Xi.
;-)

I really need to work on my sense of humor...

I've heard those stories too (there was a website dedicated to that kind of, um, stupidity, iirc). Best one I heard was somebody who thought that the abbreviation for "Crossing" - "xing" was an actual word pronounced, essentially, 'sing.'

Back