Accessible bedroom disability fare

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelkfla

Engineer
I thought I had read on here that the cost of an Accessible Bedroom with a disability fare was based on the current cost of a Roomette. But on several days in April, an Accessible Bedroom on the northbound Star is more costly than a full-fare Roomette. I called Amtrak, and the agent said the fare is based on availability, and has nothing to do with Roomette fare.

So ... it seems the only way to find a low Accessible Bedroom fare is to go on the website and check every possible date (and it requires going thru the "type of disability" screen for each date), making a list of the fares by hand. Amsnag is of no use, other than to give a general idea of how full the sleepers are. It's a real pain in the something.

I thought I had read on here that the cost of an Accessible Bedroom with a disability fare was based on the current cost of a Roomette. But on several days in April, an Accessible Bedroom on the northbound Star is more costly than a full-fare Roomette. I called Amtrak, and the agent said the fare is based on availability, and has nothing to do with Roomette fare.

So ... it seems the only way to find a low Accessible Bedroom fare is to go on the website and check every possible date (and it requires going thru the "type of disability" screen for each date), making a list of the fares by hand. Amsnag is of no use, other than to give a general idea of how full the sleepers are. It's a real pain in the something.

It may, or may not, help if you check th box near the bottom of the disability screen for “remember ...”. Unfortunately that only remembers for as long as your on the website. I think you’ll still be taken to that page for each search but may not have to click each option.
I know it’s a pain, I go through it when I’m researching trains.

It may, or may not, help if you check th box near the bottom of the disability screen for “remember ...”. Unfortunately that only remembers for as long as your on the website. I think you’ll still be taken to that page for each search but may not have to click each option.
I know it’s a pain, I go through it when I’m researching trains.
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. It should save 10-15 seconds per lookup (which can add up) and a lot of mousing.

It was the same as the roomette fare but who knows now with current management. Already been in contact with both my senators about the $25,000 debacle. Hopefully another nail in Anderson’s and Gardner’s coffin.

You have to specify specifically that you qualify for the disability fare. If you qualify, you can get it at the roomette fare. If not, you get it for the bedroom fare - and it is only available less than 14 days prior to departure. (If you qualify, it’s available at any time.)

You have to specify specifically that you qualify for the disability fare. If you qualify, you can get it at the roomette fare. If not, you get it for the bedroom fare - and it is only available less than 14 days prior to departure. (If you qualify, it’s available at any time.)
It's more than 14 days out from the OP's travel date, so obviously s/he's specifying s/he qualifies for the room if s/he's seeing it as an option.

I saw different prices for the accessible room (at disability rate) and the roomette in 2016. I called Amtrak, asked about it, and was told that they are priced differently.

With the recent $25,000 debacle for wheelchairs I think it’s safe to assume Amtrak’s mindset on accessibly challenged
passengers has changed. More specifically it goes right to the top, Anderson sees them as a revenue source.

Disappointing and disgusting.

Well, this is almost certainly illegal. The reason for the previous policy (accessible bedroom costs the same as a roomette at time of booking) was specifically to make sure they weren't discriminating against disabled people. So now they are discriminating, pretty clearly. Someone will take them to court; it might as well be you?

I would suggest contacting one of the disability advocacy groups which has sued Amtrak before and which does this sort of lawsuit. You might also contact your Congressman/woman or Senators. Or you could start an ADA complaint on your own.

Back