Accurate Maps of Amtrak Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

S Unger

Train Attendant
Are there any maps available on the web that accurately depict the routes. I'm trying to trace the route from Pittsburgh, PA to Washington D.C. I know the route follows the river valleys for the most part but I seem to get lost around Meyersdale, PA.

Anybody have a suggestion on how to do this?

Thanks

Are there any maps available on the web that accurately depict the routes. I'm trying to trace the route from Pittsburgh, PA to Washington D.C. I know the route follows the river valleys for the most part but I seem to get lost around Meyersdale, PA.Anybody have a suggestion on how to do this?

Thanks
Try this site:

http://www.railpassengerusa.com/

Check under Route Guides. . .USA Long Distance.

I'm slowly constructing an accurate map of every rail line in the US and Canada on Google Earth, organized according to railroad ownership and trackage rights. I'll let you know when I finish that portion of CSX and find a way to post the file.

I'm slowly constructing an accurate map of every rail line in the US and Canada on Google Earth, organized according to railroad ownership and trackage rights. I'll let you know when I finish that portion of CSX and find a way to post the file.

Much Thanks, I'll be on the look out for it!

scott

Are there any maps available on the web that accurately depict the routes. I'm trying to trace the route from Pittsburgh, PA to Washington D.C. I know the route follows the river valleys for the most part but I seem to get lost around Meyersdale, PA.Anybody have a suggestion on how to do this?

Thanks
Try this site:

http://www.railpassengerusa.com/

Check under Route Guides. . .USA Long Distance.
I noticed the map shows the TE using the TRE route through Dallas and Fort Worth. This is not the route it's currently using although it might start someday.

Wow - quite an endeavor! I often trace routes on Google Earth before I take a trip. Really looking forward to seeing your work. Thank you in advance for sharing!

Wow - quite an endeavor! I often trace routes on Google Earth before I take a trip. Really looking forward to seeing your work. Thank you in advance for sharing!
Same here! This is exactly what google earth needs.

I've had this same conondrum before. Looking at Google maps, the sequence of towns it passes are:

Meyersdale, PA

Glade City

(the tracks will curve northeastward and plunge into a long tunnel that makes the map look like a stub end)

Mance

Foley

Fairhope

Hoblitzell

Hyndman, PA

Ellerslie, MD

Cumberland, MD

Hope this is of some help.

The FRA actually has an extraordinarily useful map on their site under the freight railroading section of all North America. Some areas are outdated and need to be double checked using state DOT maps and private RR maps, but it lets you zoom in to see ownership and trackage rights on all rail lines.

Just so everyone knows who's interested in my Google Earth map, I am not specifying Amtrak (or any passenger service) trackage rights unless they actually own the line. However, there's a great file somewhere (possibly on this site) that marks every Amtrak station that can be used in conjunction w/ my file.

Scott, I should be done with the state of Pennsylvania and the remainder of the CSX line Washington to Pittsburgh (and surrounding lines) by next week. Mapping through the Alleghenies is a royal pain... Tedious and time consuming. This excludes the Philadelphia area for the time being. I'll see if I can post the file then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back