Acela 21 (Avelia Liberty) development, testing and deployment (2018 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hearing rumblings about it running south as AMTK 845. @Acela150 any idea of the times?
Confirming 845 as the running number. They left Boston around 2. They're doing testing in RI I believe and then following Train 179 from Kingston to NYP. That was the plan at least. They got to Readville and had some issues with one of the MCB's opening but that was rectified.

I caught it passing NHV 9:24; I'll post a video later.

Thanks for the info. Not sure what a MCB is but glad that was rectified. I heard some rumors of a burning smell in the coaches during testing, but you know how foamers can be 😉

Last edited:
MCB is Main Circuit Breaker
Thanks.
I didn't know that, and it surprises me. They are occasionally aware of sensitive info, such as a "POTUS" move, or similar, that should not be disseminated...
I'm aware that President Biden took Amtrak as VP, but i don't think he has touched the train since taking the Oval Office. I can't think of any other Presidental moves besides President Obama's train to DC which was well publicized.

Thanks.

I'm aware that President Biden took Amtrak as VP, but i don't think he has touched the train since taking the Oval Office. I can't think of any other Presidental moves besides President Obama's train to DC which was well publicized.
Biden was planning on taking the train to DC for his inauguration, but had to change plans because of heightened security concerns after January 6th.

Thanks.

Yeah, as far as I can tell, Biden arrives by air, not train, when coming home to DE.

I didn't know that, and it surprises me. They are occasionally aware of sensitive info, such as a "POTUS" move, or similar, that should not be disseminated...

Confidentiality agreements would typically cover competitive information. I’d imagine something as sensitive as presidential movements would require security clearances administered by the feds, not a contractual employment agreement.

Just took a good look at that slide...is it just me that finds the paint scheme on the power unit 'ugly'? It looks to me like some sort of snake head, or I don't know what...
I hope when I see it with my own eyes, it looks better. Or I just get used to seeing it... 🤷‍♂️

Just took a good look at that slide...is it just me that finds the paint scheme on the power unit 'ugly'? It looks to me like some sort of snake head, or I don't know what...I hope when I see it with my own eyes, it looks better. Or I just get used to seeing it... 🤷‍♂️
I liked the look of the original Acela from day one, and the HHP's for that matter, but the Avelia Liberty looks kind of hideous to me. Among the modern HSR designs it's the ugliest paint scheme on the ugliest profile. That being said some members think the Japanese designs are hideous so maybe after enough time has passed it will bother me less and less. I just wish the paint scheme was less jarring. Really accentuates the wrong aspects in my view.

from NEGR site : Amtrak Equipment Procurement Update as of 2-29-24: On the Acela: Staging and testing continues – they are about halfway through Stage 1 and are optimistic that it can be wrapped up in a month or two and move on to stage 2.On the Airo trainset: Progress is strong – there are 34 in production – 32 coaches and 2 locomotives. Final FAIs and FDRs are taking place on open items on the café cars. The first trainset is anticipated to be on the corridor for testing in 2025 – there is a lot of optimism . On the ALC 42: They continue to get units in Wilmington for final testing. Thus far 48 have been accepted into service. 10 have been commissioned and are in the transit process. 67 are continuing in production. Dan added that the has been an improvement in the performance of the equipment and that the FAIs have had a positive impact.

Officially, Amtrak still says they are supposed to start service in 2024:

https://www.amtrak.com/next-generation-high-speed-trains
Acela 2 in late 2024 is also official, according to Next Generation Equipment Committee.

A PDF from this interesting committee was linked by Dutchrailnut over on the AU thread MNRR orders additional DM Chargers.

It was the February monthly report of NGEC, which references many sub reports on particular topics, such as "Amtrak New Fleet Acquisition."

Stick with me here.

The monthly reports, called Resources, are here: https://ngec.org/resources/
The sub reports, grouped under Meetings, are here: https://ngec.org/meetings/

The monthly reports are a good place to start because they summarize the sub reports (Meetings).

Now let's go to 2024 NGEC Annual Meeting - February 2, 2024. There's no specific link, just go to Meetings. It has 19 topics, each a PDF, such as "Metro-North Dual Mode Locomotive" and "Amtrak Fleet Procurement."

Amtrak Fleet Procurement says:
New Acela Update
Approval for Stage 1 Qualification Testing (QTP2) was received from the FRA in December 2023. Testing began the week of January 8, 2024, and is expected to continue through the end of March 2024
• Serial Trainsets TS03, TS04 and TS05 were returned to Hornell and replaced with TS08, TS09 and TS10 in PCY. This exchange reduced the number of outstanding modifications in the field (FMIs)
• TS11 is targeted for shipment from Hornell in February 2024 and will be used for training (e.g., mechanical QMP, Engineer/Conductor, OBS etc.)
• 6 Trainsets to be commissioned before launch of revenue service
• Start of revenue service, targeted for late CY2024
The PDF covers the other ongoing procurements at about this level of detail. It does not cover the new sleepers.

Many of the other 19 "Meetings" are interesting too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back