Acela 21 (Avelia Liberty) development, testing and deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2021/06/03/amtrak-acela-new-trains/

We had discussed the catenary contact issue here and on Facebook. During the initial tests there was excessive arcing even at lower speeds through Princeton Jct, and some of us had commented that this would not be acceptable. Turns out apparently that is an issue that has been addressed and took time to fix. Interestingly all this is in a segment that very short few mile segment that actually got constant tension catenary.

Apparently there was more serious issue at the so called "upgraded catenary" that the rest of the NJ segment got. The fact remains that NEC is really still a line that is held together precariously with every mile a special case, and hence will continue to be more expensive to maintain and operate than a newly built line of similar length, and there is really no way to fix it beyond a point.

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2021/06/03/amtrak-acela-new-trains/

We had discussed the catenary contact issue here and on Facebook. During the initial tests there was excessive arcing even at lower speeds through Princeton Jct, and some of us had commented that this would not be acceptable. Turns out apparently that is an issue that has been addressed and took time to fix. Interestingly all this is in a segment that very short few mile segment that actually got constant tension catenary.

Apparently there was more serious issue at the so called "upgraded catenary" that the rest of the NJ segment got. The fact remains that NEC is really still a line that is held together precariously with every mile a special case, and hence will continue to be more expensive to maintain and operate than a newly built line of similar length, and there is really no way to fix it beyond a point.

So sad, and here I was believing all those Trains front page NEC articles stating the NEC is "world class".

On the positive side, at least Amtrak picked off the shelf hardware with a proven track record.

21st Century technology on 20th century infrastructure is bound to have problems I suppose. And TCCI in Pueblo is far different than the curvy, twisty NEC east of New Yorik.

The fact remains that NEC is really still a line that is held together precariously with every mile a special case, and hence will continue to be more expensive to maintain and operate than a newly built line of similar length, and there is really no way to fix it beyond a point.

And this is perhaps the only rail corridor in the country where train travel is successfully competing with both airlines, cars, and buses, especially if you count the commuter services, too.

It is just speculation but""" Track conditions too curvy may mean the wheel profile does not quite meet the rail profile for curves exceeding those in Europe ?
Maybe the force on the PRR section of track the Amtrak Pans will need to have the force to increase. Undulating track might be in play?

I'm amazed at how quiet AU has been on this........

P42 108, 89 & 9800 arrived in Hornell at 12 Noon today (November 2nd). The First Production trainset will make its way to Philly tomorrow morning (November 3rd).

I’ve been seeing pictures of the 3rd trainset making its way south.

Any word on further narrowing down possible inaugural revenue service dates?

With the improvements in tilting and track upgrades, does anyone know how much shorter Acela trips will be? (Specifically with the Boston-NYC stretch)
I imagine not much, but everyone minute counts!

Last edited:
Trainset has been held up by all kinds of NS NonSense. Looks like they'll get to the Harrisburg area around Midnight. They'll top of the P42's at the GI8 Fuel Pad in Harrisburg before the Amtrak crew gets on and takes it home to Philly.

Suspect no enroute time changes BOS <> NYP. Walk bridge construction and closing one or more tracks will make it difficult to have reliable OTP . One week OK the next watch out etc.

Nice photos, but I'd appreciate some more details like how wide are the seats, how much do they recline, and when will they actually be in service. Also why to the cafe cars have charging outlets when they don't have any seating? That seems like an odd choice if passengers are discouraged from lingering.

Nice photos, but I'd appreciate some more details like how wide are the seats, how much do they recline, and when will they actually be in service. Also why to the cafe cars have charging outlets when they don't have any seating? That seems like an odd choice if passengers are discouraged from lingering.
Looks like there is space between the hip rest and the window to place your phone or tablet to charge while you have “cocktails” with others.
The current Acela has a small “bar” area and standing room only area in its cafe car.

I can't for the life of me find the main thread about the Alstom Avelia Liberty Acela IIs. Might be good to pin it. Anyway, Amtrak's Media site posted pictures of the new Acela interiors.

My first question: WHY are the tray tables so SMALL?!?
This is the main thread. ;)

Keep in mind that photos can be misleading.
It's way to early to predict a service date for the new trainsets.

My gripe with the new cafe is the "self service" option.

My gripe with the new cafe is the "self service" option.
It says "self select and check out options." If that's what I think it is, that's great. I'm thinking it's like what they have in convenience stores and such, where they have packaged items in a cold case where you can just pick them out without having to stand in line and wait for the attendant. And if it's a self-serve check-out, that's even better. Just take the item out of the case, scan it, and tap or insert your card, and you're off without having to wait for the attendant, who would thus have more time to properly prepare the stuff that needs preparation.

It says "self select and check out options." If that's what I think it is, that's great. I'm thinking it's like what they have in convenience stores and such, where they have packaged items in a cold case where you can just pick them out without having to stand in line and wait for the attendant. And if it's a self-serve check-out, that's even better. Just take the item out of the case, scan it, and tap or insert your card, and you're off without having to wait for the attendant, who would thus have more time to properly prepare the stuff that needs preparation.
This is exactly what is done on European trains, which operate in a similar environment of labor shortages and high labor costs.

To me, the orange looks harsh and unwelcoming. However, it’s my least favorite color after red, so maybe others will find it attractive.

I’m surprised that there isn’t more attention paid to which colors are most soothing for people traveling. Green and blue I believe are the most restful. Although blue is used for seats in transportation, I don’t recall seeing green, although it may be used somewhere I haven’t been.

Last edited:
Which is exactly why I am not ok with it. It's basically an attempt to elminate the LSA jobs.
Why would it eliminate LSA jobs? Current cafe cars only have one LSA as it is. Are they planning for everything to be self-service? I don't think so, unless they're going to a complete vending machine model. They'll still need an LSA to prepare the stuff that needs to be heated, and I would think an LSA would be needed to make sure that people aren't helping themselves to stuff without paying. However, those who need the services of an LSA won't have to wait in line for people buying packaged foods and drinks, and people buying the packaged foods and drinks won't have to wait in line behind people who need an LSA to prepare their food. And even if they go to a "vending machine" model, they'll still need staff to stock and service the machines.

Back