Acela 2151 Stalled in Queens

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember like 15 years ago, the LIRR had a safety video that demonstrated how they would evacuate a train by pulling up another train alongside the disabled train and using a platform to transfer everyone to the adjacent train. I've found the version the MTA made for the NYC Subway, but can't find the one the MTA I made for the LIRR at the same time that was quite similar (except with LIRR MU cars).

I remember like 15 years ago, the LIRR had a safety video that demonstrated how they would evacuate a train by pulling up another train alongside the disabled train and using a platform to transfer everyone to the adjacent train. I've found the version the MTA made for the NYC Subway, but can't find the one the MTA I made for the LIRR at the same time that was quite similar (except with LIRR MU cars).
I have been through three transfers on the NEC from a failed train or one that was involved in a trespasser hit, to another train on an adjacent track over the last thirty years. Each involved stepping off onto the ballast and then climbing back up on the other train. They were all from Regionals. As I have mentioned elsewhere the one time I was stuck on an Acela for an extended time we waited for the blessed laptop to arrive.

The Service Standards Manual devotes 2 1/2 pages to instructions for deploying the emergency folding stairs that are carried on the Acela trainsets, so clearly evacuation to the ballast is possible.
If you ever rode in the old Heritage sleeping car Bedrooms, The ladder it literally the same as that, only about 75% more steps. Not easy to use by any means! It is possible, but desirable? Absolutely not. Not to mention no access whatsoever for Handicapped.

ETA - I don't remember a single instance, in my many years of service, of a passenger EVER using those stairs to leave a train.

I have been through three transfers on the NEC from a failed train or one that was involved in a trespasser hit, to another train on an adjacent track over the last thirty years. Each involved stepping off onto the ballast and then climbing back up on the other train. They were all from Regionals. As I have mentioned elsewhere the one time I was stuck on an Acela for an extended time we waited for the blessed laptop to arrive.
Let's see. One on-the-ballast transfer on the Empire service. (The rescue train was a Turbotrain, the only chance I ever got to ride one.) A transfer from a Northeast Regional to another Northeast Regional using a bridgeplate, and another bridgeplate transfer from a Northeast Regional to a SEPTA Silverliner, and another on-the-ballast transfer on the South Shore Line.

Back