Acela Express question-NYC to Philadelphia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill631

Train Attendant
Greetings everyone,

Many thanks to everyone who answered my recent questions regarding the Philadelphia Amtrak station.

But I have a couple of questions about booking a ticket on the Acela, from NYC Penn Station to Philadelphia.

A friend of mine and some of his colleagues at work are attending a conference in Philly and will be taking the 7:00am Acela out of BYC Penn on Feb. 9, 2011.

They have not yet bought their tickets or made reservations yet.

Although I have ridden many Amtrak trains, both LD and NE regionals, I have never ridden the Acela. My friend (not a regular or frequent Amtrak rider) seems to think they will have no problem getting their Acela tickets a day or so before their trip.

Does the Acela fill up usually or sell out?

If it were me, I would reserve my ticket asap.

Anyone ride this particular train?

Should my friend book his ticket right away?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

:cool:

I'm not all that familiar with southbound trains at that hour of the morning. My guess is to say that they probably won't have all that much trouble, seeing as how it's a Wednesday. However, if they were trying that on a Monday or Friday, I wouldn't be so confident. And of course all bets are off if there are weather problems.

However, one thing to keep in mind although they may not care since it's a business trip, waiting only ups the price. The sooner they book, the cheaper the tickets.

And of course there is the return trip too, which may or may not be as easy to book.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ridden the Acela southbound out of NYC once before, on a Tuesday or Wednesday I belive. And IIRC it was completely full. It would be your best bed to go ahead and get the tickets, there's really no reason to wait anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back