Acela Express Service Being Cancelled April 29!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Source Amtrak

According the David Gunn, current Amtrak president, Acela Express service will be terminated entirely on April 29, 2003. This comes after the Acela Express service was completely cancelled for almost a week in August and four trips a day being cancelled this week. Reason for the cancellation of this high-speed service is the constant mechanical problems that could pose danger to passengers and are driving up the cost to keep the trains in operation. David Gunn quotes, “We are trying to maintain our existing equipment, which is already in a bad state of disrepair, and these Acela trainsets are just to much! They're a hassle to our employees and can aggravate our passengers when the 6am from DC is cancelled. ” Amtrak will be scrapping all 40 high-speed locomotives from the trainsets; however, VIA Rail Canada will be purchasing the passenger cars for possible use with Bombardier built high-speed turbo powered locomotives.
I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS. I have not even been able to take a ride yet. You can get more info on this story on Amtrak's website. :(
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, jokes out. Ha, ha. This only an APRIL FOOLS JOKE. Do not take this seriously and by all means book a trip on the Acela. Sorry if my humor went a little to far, but hey I only get to do this once a year! B)

WOW! Man am I glad that I rode Acela when I did. Maybe now we will see Talgos on the corridor? But I do think the power cars should be kept so that they can be used for road pwer for other trains.

This is tough medicine to swallow---but safety first....guess it may be for the best. Perhaps I will revise my August trip to just go to NYC and possibly not Boston.Glad I had not already made my reservations.

Ouch, I'll see If I can somehow ride it before then, at least I saw it. Does this mean we're back to all Metroliner's? I wonder when High Speed Rail will return.

Amfleet, I Can't find the story, can you link me?

WOW I couldnt believe this when I first read it, I mean I knew the Acela had problems but they are gonna scap the locos and seel the cars to VIA? That is a tough pill to swallow. So whats gonna be set up in place of them, most likely expanded Metroliners, but even they cant do the 150mph in the small segments the Express could! What was the problem that caused the ultimate scrapping or was it just a whole bunch of little things?

Oh come on, sorry if I made any one upset. I shed a tear too, a tear of laughter that is. I didn't think my story was too convincing, but this shows that anyone will believe what's put on the internet. This :) and another :lol:

As soon as I saw it I was going to say it had to be an April Fool's joke.

Oh you have got to be kidding me. Man I was making plans to go to NYC to ride Acela again, man you got me good.

Ok, I fell for it also. Should have thought....nothing else happened on April Fool's , so I guess this had to. It is true I could not find the link on the Amtrak page but I thought that was just my lack of computer-expertise.

I tihink some one out to put out a story next year on 4/1 that all of Cape Cod is about to be swallowed by a giant whale.

At least we were not being filmed on "Candid Camera" when we were seen reading this.

Bill Haithcoat said:
I tihink some one out to put out a story next year on 4/1 that all of Cape Cod is about to be swallowed by a giant whale.
It would certainly be "A whale of a tale". :lol: :D :)

Hello, I HAVE BOOKED A THREE TRIAN RIDE FROM A/TOLEDO-NY/PEN..B/NY/PEN-WASHINGTON ..C/WASHINGTON-CIN,OHIO.I HAVE MY TICKETS FOR TOL/NYP & WASH/CINN BUT I HAVN'T GOT THE NY/PEN-WASH ACELA 1ST CLASS PART....SO THIS MY NOT BE A APRIL FOOL'S AFTER ALL!! I'M CALLING AMTRAK TOMMOROW TO SEE WHATS UP.... ;)

Depending upon how you did the transaction they might send them separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back