Acela Express Woes Continue

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Amtrak's troubled Acela Express rail service will continue to run a significantly reduced fleet of trains ``for the foreseeable future'' due to structural faults found last week in the high-speed cars.

Once again today, Amtrak spokeswoman Karina Van Veen said Acela service will be carried on only five trains.

The trains will make a total of 17 departures from Boston, New York and Washington.

The full story from the Boston Herald can be found here with thanks to OTOL for posting the link on their site.

Well I guess this sort proves why you never rely entirely on one type of car in high traffic areas. If we didn't have CrAmfleets to pinch hit for the Acela Express' we'd be screwed.

battalion51 said:
Well I guess this sort proves why you never rely entirely on one type of car in high traffic areas. If we didn't have CrAmfleets to pinch hit for the Acela Express' we'd be screwed.
we're already screwed :p

Just got back from Europe on trips through France and Germany. They run the hell out of those TGV's, and I never heard about them being withdrawn from service or having so many problems. Same with the ICE's in Germany. I read an earlier remark by Gunn that Amtrak should have used one of these builders anyway. Maybe Amtrak's next equipment purchase will be better.

On another note, they ought to stop buying from Bombardier over all. None of the equipment out of their shops have been able to perform reliably.

Why was these problems earlier before they train got accepted into the amtrak fleet.

Guy

Amtrak reported 13 of the 18 Acela Express sets were available for service Monday. It held the extra trainsets in reserve in case a problem developed with any of the five sets that ran today.
Similar cracks were found in Amtrak’s HHP-8 electric locomotives, and all 15 were pulled from service. Seven were approved for service as of Sunday morning, and one was running today.
You can read the full story from Trains.com Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back