Acela Express

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of our AU members are preparing to go to Boston for 2009 AU Gathering, some of us would like to try out the Acela Express, the fastest train in North America, and perhaps the "New World". Could you give me which segments (or between stations) where the 150mph track that Acela runs?

Kingston Station is right in the middle of the 150MPH zone and they don't stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg there is one stretch of 150 just north of Providence, which is what the group will get to see on our ride. The remaining 150 stretches are all south of PVD and before one reaches the Connecticut border.

I believe all the 150 MPH stretches are in RI. The 2 that I can name are a 15 mile stretch just north of KIN to Cranston, and a 3 mile stretch between PVD and South Attleboro, MA (on the RI border). There may also be a stretch south of KIN to WLY.

RI may be the smallest state in the country, but we have the fastest trains in the US! :D

Acela 150mph territory extends from just south of the Route 128 station outside Boston to just north of Providence RI, and from south of Providence to just south of Kingston RI (with some reduced speeds within those areas for curves). Originally 150mph operation was limited to about 18 miles. It is now something in excess of 30 miles thanks to the FRA relaxing its original requirement that 150mph was limited to tangent track only. Some very mild curves are now negotiated at 150mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back