Acela first class vs business class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was mildly exaggerating. I can drink 600 ml of hard liquor in that time period but would not do so publicly. I weigh nearly 400 pounds and have been a fairly heavy drinker most of my adult life. I'd be drunk, but could easily walk off the train and to a hotel. You might want ear plugs, though. I get the (false) impression I can sing.

Last edited by a moderator:
One time I drank them out of bourbon. That was a good trip.
A couple of years ago, my sister and I sat across the aisle from a guy who drank them out of IPA beer (starting in BOS at 9ish and ending in NYP). That was NOT a pleasant trip. The passengers continuing south of NYP applauded when the obnoxious guy de-trained.

Amtrak really can't get a consistent definition of Business Class for the whole system. There is a description of Business Class on the website that pertains to all lines, but noted are the non-published exceptions and variations. First Class is defined for Acela. Sleeper Class is defined. Coach is defined. Business Class is a hodgepodge mess in the world of Amtrak.
Exactly. How difficult could it be to identify a unified set of amenities that are meaningful enough to provide a genuine incentive for coach passengers to buy up and then sell them as Business Class systemwide? Something that anyone who rides Amtrak could anticipate and book with confidence. Instead I tend to avoid “business class” on Amtrak because I have no idea what it means and the only thing I can truly count on is that it costs more. Other than that I have no idea what I’m getting and Amtrak’s sales pitch is borderline useless.
Part of the issue here is the fact that most of the BC off of the NEC is not 100% controlled by Amtrak. The State's sponsoring the service get a say in what BC looks like and what gets offered to a BC passenger.
I certainly understand that - one reason why the Carolinian (State-subsidized vs State-owned) has a trolley cart and a cranky attendant whereas the Palmetto can't even decide whether to have 2x1 seating vs converted 2x2 Amcan. The fact that a train has Amtrak on the ticket, on the train car, at the station, and in the literature should be the primary reason why the services should be consistent. Even fully owned state services like Amtrak California should subscribe to a franchise definition of Business Class (with or without capitals). Obviously, me talking about it doesn't mean anything to the powers that be, but that's why I'm here - to vent without recourse. :D

How I rank Amtrak's business class:

Coach car with "BusinessClass" stuck to the outside (that's happened, apparently) < Ex-Metroliner coach cars that are now business class cars < Acela Express Business class < Club-dinette business class.
Or with some trains you have to consider the following as well:

Am I Coach car used for business (82xxx) < Am I Business class 2x2 (81xxx) < Am II Coach car ~ Acela Business class < Am I Club/Dinette Business class

I would personally spring the extra few bucks and book from RTE if your getting on at PVD. One gets the select city pair points from RTE and not from PVD.

As for the comfort of seats. NER BC compared to Coach. I think that the seats in Coach are more plush then BC. But I've preferred the plushness for a while.
Except your e-ticket might be cancelled when you don't board in RTE.

I always book to RTE when I am going home, but never when boarding anymore. Not worth the risk, IMO, of a reservation being cancelled.

Frankly I can drink $80 worth of booze alone in that trip time.
I paid extra to ride in Acela first class from DC to NY. (not by choice... I had to ride that train and it only had first class seats left)

The attendant said free booze was limited to 2 drinks per person. I didn't really protest. I only had one beer anyway, since the trip was not for pleasure. However, it made me wonder why many people never mentioned the 2-drink limit here. :( Did I encounter one of those attendants who make up his own rules?

Sounds like he was short on Beer, I've never seen this happen in FC with the harder stuff! Some pax really pound the drinks, I like to sip and enjoy mine so never have more than a couple!

Sounds like he was short on Beer, I've never seen this happen in FC with the harder stuff! Some pax really pound the drinks, I like to sip and enjoy mine so never have more than a couple!
no, he said two alcoholic drinks per passenger per trip. (not just beer... *any* alcoholic drink) This was last week of June.

I rode it twice in August (upgrade coupons) and heard and saw nothing of the sort. One trip was the 5:20 BOS to NYP departure and there was definitely a decent amount of polite drinking going on.

Is there a bluebook guideline?

If there were any regulars on the train, I would have expected to hear some sort of revolt.

Taking the Acela on July 1st in First Class. Downeaster in Business from POR to BON, then doing the self-transfer to Back Bay, then Acela into NYP.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Taking the Acela on July 1st in First Class. Downeaster in Business from POR to BON, then doing the self-transfer to Back Bay, then Acela into NYP.

If you have the time, I would suggest going to South Station to board the Acela. With your FC ticket, you get access to the ClubAcela lounge.

If you have the time, I would suggest going to South Station to board the Acela. With your FC ticket, you get access to the ClubAcela lounge.
Is that allowed? When I booked the ticket, the transfer was to Back Bay where I'd get on, it didn't give me an option to do otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back