The virtues of Acela

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daybeers

Conductor
As a longtime NE Regional rider, I wouldn't take the Acela when the scenery is so beautiful in CT and DE-MD. Water views on both sides! Go a bit slower and take it in.
I would contrast this with the fact that the Acela has much bigger windows with curtains and seats which are closer to the (flatter) edges of the car, making for a better view of the scenery. Doesn't go much faster in the scenic areas anyway.

I would contrast this with the fact that the Acela has much bigger windows with curtains and seats which are closer to the (flatter) edges of the car, making for a better view of the scenery. Doesn't go much faster in the scenic areas anyway.

Ooh, really? Guess I need to take this sometime! Thanks.
I do usually sit in the cafe car. Is there a difference between the regular cafe car and the Acela?

That sounds nice—I’ve always wanted to do that, but didn’t want to go by myself in case I got lost and couldn’t find the SEPTA station to get back to Center City or, worse, I got nasty looks from all the young trendy people wondering what I was doing near their fancy cafes and stores.😁

Oh you did not.
The young people don't pay any attention to us. 🤣
There are a few fancy cafes and stores but mostly it's a charming mishmash of everything from dive bars to mom-n-pop clothing and gift shops to pizza or taco places. Many different cuisines actually. The architecture and street space are wonderful. And you're mere steps from the Manayunk Canal (Lock 69/70) with a great view of the Pennsy viaduct (rail trail). If you can get up there, a steep hike or very short Uber drive, it's well worth it for the views I posted.

No real lounge cars on the Acela. But it sort of makes sense, as most passengers ride about 3 hours or less. I ride it up to Boston from Baltimore a few times a year, a 6-and-a-half-hour ride, and I'm fine with eating at my seat. If you want to see the scenery, Northbound, most of the water scenery and view of downtown Philadelphia is on the right hand (southeast) side of the train, and the Manhattan skyline scenery, as you cross the Hell Gate Bridge, is on the left-hand (northwest) side. That's reversed if you're going southbound.

No real lounge cars on the Acela. But it sort of makes sense, as most passengers ride about 3 hours or less. I ride it up to Boston from Baltimore a few times a year, a 6-and-a-half-hour ride, and I'm fine with eating at my seat. If you want to see the scenery, Northbound, most of the water scenery and view of downtown Philadelphia is on the right hand (southeast) side of the train, and the Manhattan skyline scenery, as you cross the Hell Gate Bridge, is on the left-hand (northwest) side. That's reversed if you're going southbound.
For me it's not about just looking out one side and seeing a scene go by. It's about experiencing the train moving through the landscape. Therefore the ultimate is to see out both sides of the train simultaneously, as you can from the rear or middle of a regular cafe car, or of course from the SSL in the West.
No other way to experience the water on both sides in Connecticut, for example. Looks like you could do it in the Acela cafe car, but you'd have to stand.

I’ve never understood why they have stools in the Acela cafe car.

Stools are just an accident waiting to happen even in a restaurant that isn’t moving.

Plus they just look uncomfortable. And impossible if you’re short.

I suppose some tall person with no common sense came up with the idea and then marketed it as “trendy” instead of “looks ridiculous and is almost nonfunctional.”

I’ve never understood why they have stools in the Acela cafe car.
One of my pet peeves, and I'm sure many other passengers as well, are people who camp out in the cafe car. That's why conductors and other crew members camping out irritates so many...it's especially irritating in BC/cafe cars with only 6 tables

I recall reading when the Acela was designed in the '90s they intentionally wanted to prevent camping out from happening. So they designed the seats in the cafe for eating and leaving not spending hours with your laptop and much of the trip there. Whether that was true or simply readers' reaction to the design, I don't recall.

One of my pet peeves, and I'm sure many other passengers as well, are people who camp out in the cafe car. That's why conductors and other crew members camping out irritates so many...it's especially irritating in BC/cafe cars with only 6 tables

I recall reading when the Acela was designed in the '90s they intentionally wanted to prevent camping out from happening. So they designed the seats in the cafe for eating and leaving not spending hours with your laptop and much of the trip there. Whether that was true or simply readers' reaction to the design, I don't recall.
Your recollection is spot on. That is exactly the reason why there are no comfortable lounging seats in the Cafe

But it was still a big mistake. Acela's predecessor, the Metroliners, plus demonstrators X2000 and ICE all had comfortable cafe seating. The problem of campers can be solved with hourly announcements to not hang out for more than an hour.

But it was still a big mistake. Acela's predecessor, the Metroliners, plus demonstrators X2000 and ICE all had comfortable cafe seating. The problem of campers can be solved with hourly announcements to not hang out for more than an hour.
That Horse is already out of the Born as most people use their Devices( phone,lap top eyc) as they hang out in the Cafe and Lounges while riding Trains.( same thing in Coffee Shops)

I always eat at my seat on Acela even if a stool is open. When the train is going at speed my motion sickness can't handle the world going by that fast looking out the side window like that lol, need to be facing forward.

I’m traveling from BWI to Philadelphia on a bonus trip on Acela—my first time on the service. I’m traveling in First Class. What should I expect? I know I get access to ClubAcela at 30th Street Station while I wait to transfer to a Keystone…

I’m traveling from BWI to Philadelphia on a bonus trip on Acela—my first time on the service. I’m traveling in First Class. What should I expect? I know I get access to ClubAcela at 30th Street Station while I wait to transfer to a Keystone…
You get a full meal service at your seat and an open bar, if that sort of thing interests you. There will be enough time on the hour and a half ride for that. It's got the roomy 2x1 seating; otherwise, it's pretty much like any Acela ride. If you're sitting on the right-hand side of the train, scenic points include the Johns Hopkins Hospital as you come out of the tunnel after leaving Baltimore, crossings of the Gunpowder and Bush Rivers, a view of the upper Chesapeake Bay and Havre de Grace as you cross the Susquehanna River, and a view of the SEPTA trolley barn (including some of the PCC cars) as you approach Philadelphia.

Operationally the Acela-1s have proved they can operate under less than ideal conditions. That is compared to other HrSR and HSR train sets around the world. More curves per mile, more speed slow downs and speed ups, rough tracks, old bridges, closer track spacings, 25 Hz power for parts of route.

Back