Acela II RFP information announcement

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Emperor Cuomo is making a speech (live now) @ Alstom's plant in Hornell celebrating their win of the Acela II contract. Look for a news release in a little bit, I guess.
Two excellent links on the Alstom Acela Contract update from New York State Governor--and likely 2020 presidential candidate--Andrew Cuomo:

http://www.governor.ny.gov/news/video-photos-rush-transcript-governor-cuomo-announces-30-million-alstom-transportation-inc

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-30-million-alstom-transportation-inc-expansion-create-nearly-200-new

I'm still not sold on the. tilting tgv as the best option for Amtrak, but it should be better than the Acela.

These new train-sets are supposed to be nearly 700 feet long.

Does that include the two new locomotives? I ask because I wonder how Amtrak could add 1/3rd more seating capacity if the new transits would only be about 30 feet longer than the current ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still not sold on the. tilting tgv as the best option for Amtrak, but it should be better than the Acela.
isn't that almost exactly what Acela was designed as?
Not at all. Acelas are not articulated using Jacobs bogies (trucks), which is a hallmark of TGVs.

Acelas are gussied up LRCs with TGV-like power heads.

Acela IIs are articulated like TGVs, and use the latest generation TGV power heads. They are a full fledged member of the "Concentrated Power TGV" family branded as "Avelia Liberty". The addition over and above regular TGVs is that of a tilt system derived from the Pendolino tilt system to the entire train, apparently including the power heads.

Having ridden Pendolinos extensively in UK (Virgin Intercity West Coast) and elsewhere in Europe, and ridden Acelas, in my experience the Pendolino tilt system is much more user friendly and gentler and yet tilts way more than the Acelas to take advantage of the higher underbalance allowed in Europe. My speculation is that the Acela IIs with these well tested systems and lighter will be a huge improvement over the Acela Is.

The FY2016 annual financial statement was posted to the website: FY2016 financial statement (51 page PDF). Besides the income and expense numbers, the report has nuggets of useful information in the notes on contracts and capital projects for the Alstom Acelas, CAF order, etc.

One fact that I don't recall seeing explicitly stated before is that the base contract for the 28 new trainsets is $1.4 billion which works out to $50 million a trainset including whatever maintenance. training, deployments costs are bundled into the base contract. Which leaves approximately $1 billion of the RRIF loan for upgrades to the maintenance facilities and NEC capital projects such as DC Union Station concourse & trackbed repair.

Extended excerpts from the FY2016 financial report for the Alstom Acela order.

Page 32 under Commitments:

On August 8, 2016, the Company entered into a Purchase Agreement with a contractor for the acquisition of 28 Trainsets, to replace the Company’s current Acela Express equipment which runs on the NEC. The base price of the contract is $1.4 billion. Financing for the contract was obtained under the 2016 RRIF Loan (see Note 6). The Company issued a Notice to Proceed (NTP) to the contractor on August 16, 2016. The Company will make payments to the contractor pursuant to an approved payment schedule upon the contractor’s successful completion of certain tasks (milestones) during the contract. As of September 30, 2016, Amtrak has received a letter of credit from the contractor representing 10% of the contract value for which Amtrak is the beneficiary. Additional letters of credit will be issued during the construction period. As of September 30, 2016, the Company has incurred $152.6 million in project related costs. Also on August 8, 2016, the Company entered into a technical support and spares supply agreement with the same contractor to provide technical support, spares and other related services for the fifteen year period commencing upon acceptance of the first Trainset, expected in 2021. The base price for the technical support and spares supply agreement is $637.6 million. As of September 30, 2016, the Company has incurred $4.3 million in cost related to this agreement
Page 26 backs up a report of the 2.23% interest rate, not counting the credit risk premium.

2016 RRIF Loan

On August 16, 2016, the Company entered into a $2.45 billion financing agreement with the Federal Government under the RRIF Loan program (the 2016 RRIF Loan), to finance the purchase of 28 Next Generation High-Speed Trainsets (the Trainsets), related spare parts, and improvements to existing facilities and properties. Amtrak’s obligations under the 2016 RRIF Loan are collateralized by the Trainsets, spare parts, Amtrak’s right to construct and receive delivery of the Trainsets and spare parts, and the debt service reserve account required under the financing agreement. See Note 10 for a description of the contracts issued to a vendor for the construction and delivery of the Trainsets and related spare parts and services.

By June 15, 2021, the Company will be required to fund and maintain a restricted debt service reserve account equal, over time, to increasing percentages of the projected first year debt service payments to support future debt service. Delivery of the Trainsets is expected to occur between 2021 and 2022. The Company is not required to begin making repayments on borrowings under the 2016 RRIF Loan until September 15, 2022.

All borrowings under the 2016 RRIF Loan will bear interest at a rate of 2.23% per annum. The Company expects to capitalize interest incurred during the construction period of the Trainsets as part of Construction-in-progress in the Consolidated Balance Sheets. The Company will also pay a credit risk premium of 5.80% for all amounts borrowed under the 2016 RRIF Loan. The credit risk premiums paid will be recorded as a reduction of the outstanding balance of the 2016 RRIF Loan. The amortization of the credit risk premium will be recognized as interest expense and during the construction period will be capitalized as part of Construction-in-progress.

As of September 30, 2016, no amounts had been borrowed under the 2016 RRIF Loan.

1b2f534e6add6daa6d7e6d5e286932e4_XL.jpg

acela-paint-3-940x540-937x538.jpg

acela-paint-2-940x540-937x538.jpg

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

So is this what the new Amfleet replacement (Siemens ????) livery will also look like? When do the new Siemens electric locomotives get their "new" paint job?

I know these are only renderings, but I can't find a single Amtrak logo on the new Acela livery. Is it possible that they are attempting to completely dissociate Acela from Amtrak, as far as marketing/branding is concerned?

EDIT - grammar

I know these are only renderings, but I can't find a single Amtrak logo on the new Acela livery. Is it possible that they attempting to completely dissociate Acela from Amtrak, as far as marketing/branding is concerned?
I doubt it. Remember when they released the video below, it was that speculated that they where going to drop the Acela name.

Speaking of the video, the livery on the new drawings and models appear to be simplified. The shape of the trainset, in particular the power cars, seem a bit more defined.

So is this what the new Amfleet replacement (Siemens ????) livery will also look like? When do the new Siemens electric locomotives get their "new" paint job?
Most likely not. The livery will change a few times before the actual vinyl is printed.
Also there is no reason to believe that Amtrak will repeat the foolish mistake of trying to co- brand the Regionals as Acela either. So unlikely that they will share the same livery.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Remember those early American Flyer renderings? What did the actual Acelas' livery look like? Anything close to the early renderings?

Actually, yes, at least in terms of the basic color scheme.

http://www.trainweb.org/tgvpages/images/acela/flyer03.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/tgvpages/images/acela/flyer04.jpg

What strikes me about this new rendering is that the power car sides are vertical, and different from the profile of the tilting coaches. The initial Alstom video suggests that the power cars will tilt around a fixed pantograph mount in Pendolino fashion, but I wonder if in fact the power cars will lack tilt mechanisms.

Amtrak logos werent on the original Acelas either.
Actually yes it was. On the first TS in service they had the current logo on the nose and the word Amtrak in Red on the side of the cars Mid Car. Currently most of the TS have the Amtrak logo on them on all cars including the PC's.

Remember those early American Flyer renderings? What did the actual Acelas' livery look like? Anything close to the early renderings?

When the "Acela" brand was announced they showed renderings. It's not much different at all.

Personally I prefer the stainless steel look with the splotches.

Back