Acela Mid-Week Trains Filling Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something of note--and it makes sense why--since late January, Acela First has gone from what feels like half full to now elbow-to-elbow both northbound and southbound*.

*I've been taking 2158 northbound from BWI and either 2155 from PHL or 2159 from NYP on Wednesdays or Thursdays weekly. Last Wednesday (9 March) on 2158 was the first time my BidUp attempt didn't get accepted after 7 successful bids at the lowest value. Looking at the seat map this morning (17 March) before my trip, I just bought a FC ticket instead of banking on the BidUp since I was pretty sure the train would be full and my suspicions were correct.

With these ridership increases, the prices are skyrocketing--in February, a ticket from BWI to NYP was $75 in Business and now, in mid-March, it's running above $200. I know Acela isn't for penny-pinchers but I certainly enjoyed February prices and onboard spaciousness much more than I do the same these days. Alas, back to yelling at clouds.

I can't speak for the Acela, but I noticed that my hometown commuter station lot is fuller than it's been in a while. I think people are starting to get sick of working from home.

Last December, I reserved an Acela BAL-BOS for $125. About three weeks ago, I rode the Acela from NYP to BAL, and it was $250. The BAL-BOS trip was on 2150 that leaves Baltimore at 5:30 AM. The NYP - BAL was on 2255 that left New York at 5 PM. I was able to use my 48 hour upgrade coupons to get first class on both trips. The Boston trip was a Wednesday morning two weeks ago, and the first class car was pretty full, but totally full. The New York trip was a Monday that was Washington's birthday, and that was pretty full, too. I wonder what my Boston trip would have cost if I had reserved it closer to the travel date rather than in December.

On the other hand, I took an Acela from Baltimore to Washington this past Monday, and the fare was cheaper than business class on the Northeast Regional that left about a half hour after the Acela left. That Acela was, indeed, packed full.

There may be more business travelers now, but part of the problem is that there are fewer trains. For example, on my trip home from Boston on March 7, I had hoped to take an Acela that left Boston at 1 PM. That train isn't running, so I had to take one that left at 2 PM. I don't know what that cost, because I used points for my First Class ride. In general, with some exceptions, it seems that they are alternating Northeast Regionals and Acelas to provide hourly service. Of course, this means there are fewer seats available for each type of train. Until they get the capacity up, we may see more examples of high fares, even if traffic hasn't fully recovered.

Last December, I reserved an Acela BAL-BOS for $125. About three weeks ago, I rode the Acela from NYP to BAL, and it was $250. The BAL-BOS trip was on 2150 that leaves Baltimore at 5:30 AM. The NYP - BAL was on 2255 that left New York at 5 PM. I was able to use my 48 hour upgrade coupons to get first class on both trips. The Boston trip was a Wednesday morning two weeks ago, and the first class car was pretty full, but totally full. The New York trip was a Monday that was Washington's birthday, and that was pretty full, too. I wonder what my Boston trip would have cost if I had reserved it closer to the travel date rather than in December.

On the other hand, I took an Acela from Baltimore to Washington this past Monday, and the fare was cheaper than business class on the Northeast Regional that left about a half hour after the Acela left. That Acela was, indeed, packed full.

There may be more business travelers now, but part of the problem is that there are fewer trains. For example, on my trip home from Boston on March 7, I had hoped to take an Acela that left Boston at 1 PM. That train isn't running, so I had to take one that left at 2 PM. I don't know what that cost, because I used points for my First Class ride. In general, with some exceptions, it seems that they are alternating Northeast Regionals and Acelas to provide hourly service. Of course, this means there are fewer seats available for each type of train. Until they get the capacity up, we may see more examples of high fares, even if traffic hasn't fully recovered.
Same thing with the LD Trains with their reduced Schedules and Shorter consists!

I've always thought NEC Fares were too high compared to Flyover Country and the West Coast!
You're not kidding! By the way, in the pre-Amtrak days, NEC fares were the same for both the commuter trains and the intercity trains, so you could ride, say, the Senator, with a PRR or Penn Central commuter ticket, which is something I did quite a bit when I was in high school.

You're not kidding! By the way, in the pre-Amtrak days, NEC fares were the same for both the commuter trains and the intercity trains, so you could ride, say, the Senator, with a PRR or Penn Central commuter ticket, which is something I did quite a bit when I was in high school.
My experience riding the Senator in 1965 was that it was nowhere near as full as today's equivalent train, but then again it did have many more cars, even if they were on the verge of falling apart.

After reading the book "The Wreck of the Penn Central" by Joseph Daughen and Peter Binzen, I have a much better understanding of why things were as bad as they were. BTW, I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in getting a better understanding of what was going on.

Back