Acela: New York (Penn. Station) - Boston (South Station) luggage question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, in April 2022 we will travel from New York to Boston (business class).
We have two large suitcases that would have to be checked in when traveling by airline.

The suitcases are too large for the overhead storage bins in the train.

Question:
- do we need to check in the luggage on our train trip?
- if not, were can we store our luggage in the train?

Thanks in advance.

1. No checked baggage between New York and Boston. The only checked baggage service between the two cities is on the overnight train, which is suspended until late May.

2. If the bags are of dimensions that the airlines would take, they will fit into the overhead racks (or bins on the Acelas)

3. I know getting the larger bags up on to the racks can be a pain, but both the Acelas and the Amfleet cars on the Northeast Regionals have luggage storage racks at the end of the car that allow one to store luggage without having to hoist it up on the racks. Also, on the Amfleets, there large open areas at the end of the car which are usually used to secure passengers traveling with wheelchairs, but which I've seen mainly used for storing large suitcases when there are no wheelchair-bound passengers present, which is most of the time.

That said, I would really like to see more checked baggage service on the NEC. Back in the 1980s and thereabouts, more of the regional trains had baggage cars. You can still check stuff between New York and Washington, though it won't travel on your Northeast Regional train, but rather on one of the long-distance trains serving the south. When the Viewliner 2 baggage cars were delivered, I had hoped there were enough to add some to at least a few of the Northeast Regionals, but, alas, that was not to be.

Thank you very much for your swift reply. They I think it shouldn't be a problem.
It sounds Amtrak/Acela has a lot more storage rooms than the Dutch National Railway service. Looking forward to the trip with Acela.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back