Acela @ Old Saybrook

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Just made my first ever stop on an Acela in Old Saybrook.

Apparently someone couldn't figure out that if they wanted to go to New Haven that they probably should get off the train when it stopped in New Haven. :rolleyes:

So we stopped to let them get off in Old Say.

Apparently someone couldn't figure out that if they wanted to go to New Haven that they probably should get off the train when it stopped in New Haven. :rolleyes:

the_traveler, don't get any ideas about stopping the Acela at your home station. :ph34r:

A few summers ago I was on 2167 and we were put on the track that the SLE uses to layover. Speed was slow and we stopped and waited for a NER to make its stop at OSB. Then continued back onto the main and quickly picked up speed.

the_traveler, don't get any ideas about stopping the Acela at your home station. :ph34r:
Too late - it already has! :) A few years ago, it made an unscheduled stop in KIN - with moi aboard! :lol: (I've got connections! :p )

Too late - it already has! :) A few years ago, it made an unscheduled stop in KIN - with moi aboard! :lol: (I've got connections! :p )
What did you do? Light a cigarette and get 'removed' just so you could claim the above? :lol: :lol:

Would an Acela make an unscheduled halt simply to let off someone who forgot to alight at their intended destination? Seems like too much of a wasted effort to me, just let the forgetful passengers ride to the next commercial stop, make them pay for the extra segment. That way they won't forget again.

So tell me again, were you being sarcastic or serious? What was the real reason you stopped there?

I wouldn't think they would stop the train just to let somebody off at an unscheduled station. I would think they would have waited until the next scheduled stop. Maybe it was somebody with alot of pull or an Amtrak employee that they actuially planned on stopping there.

Alan,

I have been on several Acelas that stopped at Old Saybrook.In each case it was a very brief stop, about 15 seconds.I have the impression an employee was dropped off but did not see the person.

I once was on an Acela that stopped in Old Saybrook. A woman got on to help her daughter in Providence and then stayed on despite the urging of her daughter. After the train started to pull away, the woman went nuts and started running through the train, screaming about how the train needed to stop and reverse direction to let her off. Most of the passengers were having a good laugh. The conductor arranged a stop in Old Saybrook for her to get off at, then contacted a northbound regional to request that it return her to Providence, I believe without charge.

Would an Acela make an unscheduled halt simply to let off someone who forgot to alight at their intended destination? Seems like too much of a wasted effort to me, just let the forgetful passengers ride to the next commercial stop, make them pay for the extra segment. That way they won't forget again.

So tell me again, were you being sarcastic or serious? What was the real reason you stopped there?
I'm being quite serious; that is exactly why we stopped there.

Most people on the train had no idea what was going on, but I heard the conductor on the radio requesting a special stop and later receive information on what the next southbound train would be, such that the passenger could return to NHV.

I once was on an Acela that stopped in Old Saybrook. A woman got on to help her daughter in Providence and then stayed on despite the urging of her daughter. After the train started to pull away, the woman went nuts and started running through the train, screaming about how the train needed to stop and reverse direction to let her off. Most of the passengers were having a good laugh. The conductor arranged a stop in Old Saybrook for her to get off at, then contacted a northbound regional to request that it return her to Providence, I believe without charge.
That seems a bit odd.

I'm not sure why they would stop in Old Saybrook and drop her off there, when they had two other choices that came much sooner. The first that would be the first viable would be Kingston, followed by New London.

That seems a bit odd.

I'm not sure why they would stop in Old Saybrook and drop her off there, when they had two other choices that came much sooner. The first that would be the first viable would be Kingston, followed by New London.
I stand corrected. Looking at the map, New London appears to have where we stopped.

Kudos to that conductor! That is great customer service and something that he obviously didn't have to do! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back