Acela question: why is NYP-WAS more expensive than NYP-BOS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepybobcat

Train Attendant
Acela question:

Why is NYP-WAS more expensive than NYP-BOS? (both business class and first class)

NYP-WAS is shorter than NYP-BOS... or is the pricing based on supply/demand/competition?

I know I read about is somewhere on this forum, but I just can't seem to find it....

Thanks in advance! :)

Amtrak has, IIRC, about 60% of the NYP-WAS market, while only half that in the NYP-BOS market. Partly they want to encourage people to take the Acela.

In addition there is higher demand because the NYP-WAS side is more densely populated versus NYP-BOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also it has something to do with maintenance. Most sets are maintained at Ivy City. Sunnyside and Southhampton are not the main base. Also keep in mind that the trains run every hour from DC and NYP. Between BOS and NYP they depart every few hours.

Steve

Like you said, much of it is supply and demand. More people want to go from NYP to WAS, where point to point travel time between AE and airlines are about equal, then NYP to BOS, which is more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back