ACS-64 and VL II's... Status?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the first units will be run in non-rev on all routes to familiarize staff with them before they are placed into service. Planning is in progress for the same. First deliveries in winter this year. We'll know more at the press event.
If the first "deliveries" are to take place in winter, that indicates that the media event will be to show the completed or nearly completed units that will be sent to Pueblo, Colorado for testing. Then the production run units would shipping a couple of months later. Would not make sense to have a media event if nothing is going anywhere for months. But we will find out on Thursday. Presumably there will be a bunch of press photos to look at and comment on.

Amtrak has a new blog post up with pictures. Cars look AWESOME!

http://blog.amtrak.com/2013/10/coming-soon-new-long-distance-cars/

Teaser:

1003_CAF_0471-450x300.jpg

What's with the Phase III though? I hope they're not switching color schemes again. Expect it to be a decade or more before Amtrak has decent looking uniform consists again if so...

The photo of the two assembly / fitting out lines shows at least 7 cars, perhaps 8. So there are at least that many cars frames built.

Looking good! I was hoping for more photos and perhaps a video press release showing a walk-through of at least one of the cars, but this is more than we had until now! I find the swing doors for the baggage cars to be a little interesting, as I would have figured sliding doors would be the norm. Also, it seems you'll be able to identify the car type based on its roof profile pretty easily. Full baggage cars have four large ventilators on the roof, where-as the Bag-Dorms only have one smaller ventilator. The roof of the diners are smooth and unbroken, and it would almost appear the sleepers are as well.

I like the Phase III paint, though I suppose the nit-picky would call it a Phase III-B or something because of the red reflective stripe at the bottom. ;)

Amtrak YouTube video on the new cars: Preview: New Single-Level Long Distance Cars. Not a lot of views of the new cars, more emphasis on the economic and efficiency benefits by Boardman.
Huh! Anyone else catch the last shot in the video showing a new sleeper, in Phase III, with the old Pointless Arrow logo and the words "Amtrak America" spelled out???

Not to mention, Boardman stating "Amtrak America" just as that shot is being shown?

I don't like reading into things very deeply, but that strikes me as something profoundly new. Opinions?

According to the first "comment" by Amtrak under the blog article, the logo at least is only a short-term or temporary thing. They say that the current logo will return on the standard cars, but it's not clear if that includes the Ph-IVb striping or not. As nice as the old Ph-III striping looks, I'd prefer a uniform fleet.

It doesn't include the striping, Phase III is BACK! :)

With the launch of our new single-level long distance equipment – the “Viewliner II”, Amtrak is also launching Amtrak America, a brand that will encompass all that is great about Amtrak’s long-haul trains, including those with sleeper class service. Amtrak’s route brands will continue, and this brand will make the conversation and overall service offerings clear to our customers and stakeholders.

Amtrak America will utilize our Phase Three striping on the single-level long distance cars as a tribute to our heritage. The first cars released from production will also carry Amtrak’s heritage logo in honor of our past. Amtrak’s current logo will return on the standard production cars.

It doesn't include the striping, Phase III is BACK! :)

With the launch of our new single-level long distance equipment – the “Viewliner II”, Amtrak is also launching Amtrak America, a brand that will encompass all that is great about Amtrak’s long-haul trains, including those with sleeper class service. Amtrak’s route brands will continue, and this brand will make the conversation and overall service offerings clear to our customers and stakeholders.

Amtrak America will utilize our Phase Three striping on the single-level long distance cars as a tribute to our heritage. The first cars released from production will also carry Amtrak’s heritage logo in honor of our past. Amtrak’s current logo will return on the standard production cars.
I think this new information might require a brand new thread to be started!

IMHO, this is HUGE news. Amtrak seems to have officially shifted the Long-Distance trains into their own very public category with this move. The LD's (at least, the single-level LD's for now) will have their own paint scheme (LOVING the return of Phase III) separate from the rest of the fleet and the very patriotic name of "Amtrak America."

That makes Amtrak have some pretty defined naming practices from this point forward:

1. Amtrak America - Long-Distance full-service routes
  2. Northeast Regional - NEC standard service
  3. Acela - High-speed full-service routes (but currently available only on the NEC)
  4. Amtrak California - California-based standard service
  5. Amtrak Cascades - Pacific northwest Talgo service

Last edited by a moderator:
Another slip in the schedule came with

the release today. The new cars were

to be in revenue service "spring" of 2014,

but Amtrak is now saying "summer".

Since summer ends in late September ...

I guess I'm OK with it because as long as

the assembly line is open, it will be easier

to add to the order. Going with either the

full 70-car option or piecemeal with a dozen