ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YouTube user Metra 160 uploaded this video today of Amtrak #6(04) at sunset. It doesn't list a location, but I think I recognize it from other videos as part of the descent down the Rocky Mountains west of Denver. Takes a few minutes for the train to reach the camera for those that like to skip ahead.

Not just custom built for Amtrak, but custom built by Amtrak! 10001 beech grove was rebuilt from a wreck-damaged amfleet coach ~30 years ago. It was built to replace 10000 which was a heritage business car that was showing its age at the time.

The four cars are all Amtrak special use cars. Of course Ocean View - the dome car is easy to recognize. The Heritage car has changed names a couple of times but the first word of the name has always been Pacific AFAIR. It has been Cape or Command. i don't recall what it is now. It is converted from a Heritage 10-6. The Viewliner well ahem - is a Viewliner I, and the last car is the Beech Grove converted from a damaged Amfleet I Coach many moons ago.

YouTube user Metra 160 uploaded this video today of Amtrak #6(04) at sunset. It doesn't list a location, but I think I recognize it from other videos as part of the descent down the Rocky Mountains west of Denver. Takes a few minutes for the train to reach the camera for those that like to skip ahead.

I think it's two sleepers, one executive fleet and the other normal viewliner, along with ocean view, their only dome, and beech grove bring up the rear, see my above comment for more info on that car.

The first car behind the regular consist is the 10021, which is currently named the Pacific Cape. At least this group is getting the full treatment. it is down 5 hours. I wonder if they'll make their connection.

I figured I'd get at least 1/2 of them wrong. :p I deleted my post (yes, I have that ability) since better info has been provided. ;)

The first car behind the regular consist is the 10021, which is currently named the Pacific Cape. At least this group is getting the full treatment. it is down 5 hours. I wonder if they'll make their connection.
Ah thanks! It is Pacific Cape after its last name change.

Here's a couple videos of #6(04) from this morning.

This is by YouTube user OmahaTrain Kid was taken at the station in Omaha:

Last edited by a moderator:
AMTK 48 (Lake Shore Limited, east) has 180, 115 and Kitchi gammi club, pacific cape 10021, viewliner 62033, ocean view 10031, beech grove 10001
***** may be delayed to tomorrow or put on a different train depending on when 6 arrives
A strong suggestion is to not post information like this until it is confirmed..

ThirdRail mentioned due to the timing of the CZ that the cars may not make their connection. ThirdRail is 110% reliable with information.

Here's a video by YouTube user Chad Steffens from Ashland, Nebraska. This is the point Amtrak #6 splits from the main east-west line to head north to Omaha. You can see a BNSF freight train waiting on the mainline at the end.

I finally cobbled together a video of this Amtrak #6(04) from what I took in Ottumwa, Iowa today. It left the station five hours and forty minutes late. The video has four parts:

The beginning to 2:07 - Arriving at the station.

2:08 to 2:40 - Who's on the observation platform?

2:41 to 6:16 - Walking the length of the train. You can hear the conductor, engineer, and dispatcher over the radio at certain points.

6:17 to end - Departing the station. A couple on people on Beech Grove wave.

(I have a fairly good guess on the first person seen on the platform.)

Looks like boardman recognized you.

I noticed the gesture he made in your direction.

Oh would you look at that? I was right. So much for doubting me.
No need for that comment.
The thing is whenever I post information like that now I am very meticulous and deliberate to ensure it is correct. If there is even the slightest possibility it could be incorrect I do not post it or post a disclaimer like I did.

Oh would you look at that? I was right. So much for doubting me.
No need for that comment.
The thing is whenever I post information like that now I am very meticulous and deliberate to ensure it is correct. If there is even the slightest possibility it could be incorrect I do not post it or post a disclaimer like I did.

Actually, there was a chance that it would not have been correct. There was only authorization to hold the connection for a predetermined amount of time. If 6 would have lost a bit more time, the connection would have been released....but I'm sure your little sources didn't tell you that, because they probably didn't know it.

Things change. Did you notice how someone like me said very little during this entire trip? Do you know how long this has been in the works? Do you know how many itineraries were published? That's because I know that things can change and I don't say much until it happens or when someone brings something I use words like "currently," "so far," or "as long as nothing change/and or goes according to plan."

Don't be too proud of yourself, Tyler. Even a broken wind up clock is correct twice a day.

Back