ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fanrailer:

You posted the tests trains in both directions on both days. on two boards (I'm playing 2 box ^_^ )without mentioning how you feel about it.

How do you feel????

Do you like it? Do you think it looks better on a diesel or an electric? Do you think the average person will notice it, particularly at speed?
lol thanks for noticing :p

I certainly think this is a nice departure from the bland scheme they've been using on the rest of the Sprinters so far. Honestly, I do think the scheme still looks slightly more appealing on the P42DC unit, but only because there are a couple of variations between the electric's scheme and the diesel's scheme; I think the electric's scheme still leaves a little too much grey on the side:

maxresdefault.jpg

7992.1432087651.jpg

(Neither image is mine, by the way)...

I think that I speak for a bunch of people when I say that I'd like to see them paint more Sprinters in other (heritage) schemes.

I also think that if said "average" person were to be looking out the window of their train (or watching the tracks from the platform) in certain situations instead of having their attention glued to their smart phone device, yes, they'd notice the difference lol, although it would be much harder to do that on a moving train. Personally, I can only tell if a Sprinter is on the head of the Amtrak train flying by my NJT train (assuming the NJT is on the local track and the Amtrak is on the adjacent express track, or the NJT is on the express track in one direction and the Sprinter is on the express track in the other direction) by listening to the sound it makes as it goes by.

AMTK 647 came through Ottumwa, Iowa today on Amtrak #6(10).

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's Amtrak #6(11) with AMTK 646 running over five hours late with a Union Pacific freight locomotive leading it just east of Chillicothe, Iowa yesterday.

FYI, SEPTA has posted a rendering of what appears to be the proposed SEPTA ACS-64 livery: New Electric Locomotives. And, yes, they are calling it the ACS-64, although that might change by the time it is delivered (SCS-64 for SEPTA Cities Sprinter?).

Love hate ? Love the performance hate the software ?

Any idea why there has not been a new motor delivery for several weeks ?
There are reports here that four Sprinters were seen outside the Siemens factory on June 28 and two were supposed to picked up there on June 30.

I would guess they've been holding back for a bit until they were sure the California Zephyr they were put on would make it to Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love hate ? Love the performance hate the software ?

Any idea why there has not been a new motor delivery for several weeks ?
There's reports here that four Sprinters were seen outside the Siemens factory on June 28 and two were supposed to picked up there on June 30.

I would guess they've been holding back for a bit until they were sure the California Zephyr they were put on would make it to Chicago.

Actually, they needed more time with the 648 and 649 so the move to pick them up a few days ago was pushed back to Thursday.

At the rate Amtrak's going right now with getting the new 64's delivered, we should be close to 70 by the beginning on the fall.

Someone shot #6(15) at Ashland, Nebraska this morning. Looks like it picked up a couple private cars at some point. This pair is usually based out of Omaha, so I'm guessing they were taken off there.

Here's #6(15) at Chillicothe, Iowa running six hours late. The Zephyr had to wait for an hour and a half at the crossover just over a mile west of this spot for a couple westbound BNSF trains to go by first so it could get on the north track. The two westbounds had been waiting on the east side of Ottumwa for #6 to crossover to the south track there and preform its station stop. That plan went out the window due to "a situation" that had BNSF take a couple eastbound freights out of service that were on the south track. So the westbounds had come up here first to clear a path for Amtrak, which took longer than it should have since the second one made an unexpected stop and had to restart.

In contrast to the day before, #6(16) was just around an hour and forty minutes late (on top of the hour Union Pacific had the schedule set back) as seen here east of Fairfield, Iowa. The train also had the Edward L. Ullman sleeping car in the second-to-last spot. The last car was a baggage-coach which I guess was deadheading.

Found this video of Amtrak #6(18) at Martinez, California with AMTK 651 running over five hours late.

Back