Adding a Leg for one person on a reservation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Metropolitan

OBS Chief
I've booked with a friend of mine on the SWC in September going from Los Angeles to Chicago. For my friend, this is fine, as he lives there. I still have another several hundred miles to get home.

I looked into different alternatives, and would sort of rather not spend $125 or more to stay over and then take a flight home the next day.

So I'm considering making this a true-transcon. I'll be in a roomette on the SWC, so I'm thinking of just toughing the last night out on the Capitol Limited in coach.

So, can I call Amtrak and modify the reservation to tack on this leg for just myself?

Based on what I've read in other threads, this would be my only real way to guarantee the connection between 4 and 30, correct?

And if this can be done, would the fare be pro-rated to add the leg? In other words, it's $143 to go LAX to CHI, $83 to go from CHI to WAS on a new reservation, but $193 to go from LAX to WAS on a single new reservation. If I add this, would the added fare be just about $50 or so?

Thanks for the replies!

You can certainly add the leg to your reservation, and keep your friend off that leg. Just be careful to make sure that the agent knows what they're doing, so that they don't screw things up. A bad agent might actually cancel the original res, causing the bucket to jump on the sleeper.

Additionally, you could just book a seperate reservation and then have an agent tie the two reservations together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back