Adding Passenger to Roomette reservation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deni

Lead Service Attendant
I've scanned trough the forum to see about this question, and it has certainly come up a few times, but it looks like it was a few years ago and things change. So maybe someone can shed some light.

I have a trip planned with a roomette that I bought with Guest Reward points. A friend is thinking about joining me on the trip and I'm wondering if he can pay for a coach ticket and I can have him added to my roomette.

I called Amtrak reservations and she said no problem, just buy the coach ticket then call and have the reservations joined. I asked her if it should be bought as an open sleeper ticket, and she didn't know what that was. (I've seen that type of ticket talked about on here, maybe it doesn't exist anymore or maybe she doesn't know what she's doing). So I'm leery to have my friend buy a coach ticket then have another agent tell me it can't be done. An older thread on here said that you can't combine reservations bought with points and ones bought with cash. Many people have said that a lot of the time the Amtrak phone agent gave them wrong information.

And my friend would only be riding with me on one of my four trains that trip, don't know if that would make a difference either in it being difficult.

Thanks for any insight

What you'll want to do is call back and yes, ask for an open sleeper ticket. If the agent doesn't know what that is, ask them to consult with their supervisor. If your friend has a coach ticket, then they'll be confined to coach. An open sleeper ticket will allow them access to your sleeper, and meals in the diner.

It is my understanding the the open sleeper ticket is not a coach ticket. It's a ticket booked at the lowest rail fare because it will be used in a sleeper on another's reservation.

As Triley says, call again if if the agent doesn't know what one is, ask for a supervisor.

So note the key: booking an open sleeper ticket gets your friend the lowest cost coach fare, which is what all sleeper passengers get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back