Adjustable seats in roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I begin my trip ABQ-LAX-SAN this coming Tuesday via a roomette to L.A.

Are the seats in the roomette rigid, or can you adjust them so there is some reclining position?

Thanks

There is a half-way step between up and fully flat- just push down the bar and pushe the \back of the seat down.

The seat will slide forward somewhat so that the back is sloped. There's a bar just under the front edge of the seat that controls it. Just ask your car attendant, they will demonstrate it for you.

The bar that allows a recline and the foot pedal that allows conversion to a bed are separate.

Just note, that as you slide the seat forward, what little leg/foot room there is between the two seats to begin with, gets smaller too.

Just note, that as you slide the seat forward, what little leg/foot room there is between the two seats to begin with, gets smaller too.
As I am traveling alone I thought I might put my feet/legs up on the opposing seat. Is that possible?
Yep. I do it. Even take a nap with my feet up. I do take my shoes off first.

Yes

As I am traveling alone I thought I might put my feet/legs up on the opposing seat. Is that possible?
Yes you can.

Something that is sometimes difficult to do is sitting up in bed. When the seats are both pulled flat to make a bed, the upper part of the back remains attached to the wall. This leaves a large gap between the bed and the bottom of the upper back and provides no support. I sometimes stick a soft suitcase in the hole so I can sit up in bed for awhile before going to sleep. Here's a youtube that explains a lot.

https://youtu.be/ms19WuuJqCk

Yes

Yes you can.

Something that is sometimes difficult to do is sitting up in bed. When the seats are both pulled flat to make a bed, the upper part of the back remains attached to the wall. This leaves a large gap between the bed and the bottom of the upper back and provides no support. I sometimes stick a soft suitcase in the hole so I can sit up in bed for awhile before going to sleep. Here's a youtube that explains a lot.

https://youtu.be/ms19WuuJqCk
Thanks. Much appreciated.

You will find a grounded extension cord with multiple outlets useful as there is only one outlet in the room. Also take a length of duct tape, not a whole roll but a couple of feet folded up perhaps. Comes in handy for all sorts of things like holding curtains closed or stopping a rattling door at night.

Roomettes aren't all that roomy!

It is easy to put your feet up on the opposite seat without reclining the seat you are sitting in.

I take a pair of house slippers to wear while in my roomette, and to wear if I need to visit the lavatory during the night.

Your roomette will have 2 face towels and 2 wash cloths in the 2 cubbyholes above the L shaped bar for the hangers.

See 3:57 to 3:58, and again at 4:16 to 4:19, to see the hangers and the 2 cubbyholes in this video:

I make a "chaise lounge" by putting one seat all the way down and then reclining the other. That way, I can still sit propped up, but I can also stretch my legs.

If I'm feeling lazy (or the other seat refuses to budge), I just prop my feet up on the edge of the other seat. I take my shoes off, of course.

If I don't feel like taking my shoes off, like if I know I'm going to the dining car soon, I prop my feet on the steps to the upper bunk.

I've never felt cramped in a roomette, but I'm 5'5". :)

A couple of other things about traveling coach and mobility issues.

Amtrak no longer hands out pillows in coach. You can buy a "passenger comfort kit" in the lounge car but getting there is a problem and the kit is pretty skimpy on comfort. Most coach passengers bring their own pillow as well as a blanket, it can get cold at night but the blanket also can serve as a way to hide valuables.

The other thing ... Redcaps are your friends. Use them as much as possible. The have electric carts to move you and your luggage to and from the train, especially in Chicago. They are free but will expect a tip, it's really worth it. They are generally waiting train-side when you arrive. You will have to seek them out for boarding however, unless you are in the first class lounge. Explain what train you are going out on when you de-board and perhaps you can arrange for the same Redcap to come pick you up at boarding time. Often they will take you to your car before general boarding begins, giving you a better seat selection.

Thanks for all the roomette advice and info. Even after asking a zillion questions here, and viewing a zillion YouTube videos I'm a bit anxious ahead of my Tuesday trip.

Adding to that, we are expecting thundershowers here and I had thought I'd wait on a bench out doors for the train's arrival.

I'm sure my fears are groundless (?). I just bought my first "smart phone" and have managed to master it ~~ thanks to multiple questions via Google.

So in comparison a train trip should be a piece of NY cheesecake.

P.S. I've settled upon what snacks to bring along on my trip. Although meals are free to me, I'm diabetic and wanted something extra (in case).

Summer sausage and a block of medium cheddar cheese; I can slice and nibble as needed/desired.

Also several blueberry bagels with cream cheese.

Thanks for all the roomette advice and info. Even after asking a zillion questions here, and viewing a zillion YouTube videos I'm a bit anxious ahead of my Tuesday trip.
Don't be. :) I was the same way before my first LD trip. My research bordered on obsessive. I learned, once I took the trip, that I'd been overthinking it and there really is nothing to it. Now, I pack the night before and then grab a few things as I'm heading out the door. ;)

The good thing to come of all that research, though, was my membership with AU. When I searched for tips, I kept seeing this site in the search results. I ended up joining after my trip.

I have to agree with SarahZ about researching before my trip. I spent every waking minute of free time researching different things. I was much more relaxed once my ticket was scanned and was boarded.

P.S. I've settled upon what snacks to bring along on my trip. Although meals are free to me, I'm diabetic and wanted something extra (in case).

Summer sausage and a block of medium cheddar cheese; I can slice and nibble as needed/desired.

Also several blueberry bagels with cream cheese.
Sounds like a good plan.Bon voyage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back