Ads on Amtrak Locomotives

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Atlanta-Journal Constitution:

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/auto/epa...6990e60070.html

Toyota Tundra image riding on Amtrak trains

Los Angeles --- Toyota is putting its Tundra Double-Cab pickup on the rails. The automaker has placed a painted image of the truck on the sides of Amtrak locomotives. The covered routes are the Amtrak "Texas Eagle" from Chicago to San Antonio and the "Silver Service" from Washington to Miami.

The link doesn't work for me.

But I do know what your talking about. I saw #115 pulling my train the Texas Eagle last Thanksgiving. I took a picture but, it didn't come out very well. Kinda ironic to see Amtrak advertizing trucks, but seems like a good idea.

Chris

Both the AMTK 84 and AMTK 115 are carrying the advertisments on their sides. The 84 has been working Silver Service has been working the Eagle. The paint job lloks good on the side, but again with this paint job (as was the Kerry paint job) I think the nose looks stupid with the normal pain scheme, something should cover it up. Also strange is the use of the 115 since it's usually part of the Amtrak West fleet, working the Coast Starlate and San Jaoquin service.

The reason that piece of equipment is used is that the company that did the painting is based on the west coast.

If they can make decent money with advertising like this, I don't see why Amtrak doesn't cover every car with advertising.

(Of course, on the down side, there would be yet another poll here to decide the favorite advertising paint scheme.)

Many city buses and even some airliners are plastered with advertising. Go for it, Amtrak!

Guest said:
If they can make decent money with advertising like this, I don't see why Amtrak doesn't cover every car with advertising.
I sure hope that they don't.

I don't want my views obscured by those wraps. :eek:

Ps. Please go read my post at the top of this forum on Polls.

Actually the money received is not bad for advertising like this, however there are several issues. It is not cheap to do for the advertiser, especially painting as they did in this case. A wrap is also not cheap and does not wear well at speeds of 79 mph. There are also regional companies who has expressed an interest in wrapping amtrak cars, but since equipment is not captive on most routes, their "billboard" could be anywhere in the country - perhaps where they don't have product to sell.

At the outset, I think it would be a great idea to fund-raise with ads on the fleet, as long as they had a way to do it that would not obscure or fog windows. The initial thought, of course, is that this would help Amtrak fund the stuff that Congress and the administration refuses to. But, on more reflection, what would undoubtedly happen would be that the administration and Congress, determined as they are that Amtrak NOT succeed, would simply reduce the appropriation for Amtrak by the amount of funds raised through the ads, and congratulate themselves on their frugality. So why bother.

Sorry y'all. Personally, that just looks tacky in my opinion! However, if the benefits to Amtrak outweigh any appearance issues or any other issues, then I would definitely support it. I just wouldn't want to see this get out of hand, though. But anything is possible at Amtrak! :lol: OBS.......

Ideally, like most railfans, I don't like to see Trains wrapped in ads, it takes away from the pride, the sort of prestige I find a train has. I agree, it sort of looks tacky. However, realistically, I can accept Amtrak doing this, since it helps bring in some money, so long as they don't go overboard.

Mr. Smith is coming south again? Wow! He must've rolled on to the job because I don't see him as bidding on to a MIA job.

There's no mistaking that voice. He's out of SAV, isn't he? By the way, do you know if Willie Billie is still on the Jax-Mia run, or what his schedule is now? Haven't seen him in quite a while, and Wendy and I enjoy chewin' the fat with him (as time allows). He used to own a caboose that was stored at one of the CSX Jax yards.

Saw #84 for the first time this morning and was cauaght by surprise!! :huh:

Looks OK and I liked it at first, but it does take something away from the image of trains. I would hate to see the cars turn into traveling billboards! :angry:

If you take a good look, you will notice that the decal is not holding up to the acid and brushes of the carwash. The bottom is already worn thru and patches are starting to washout on the loco.

Any idea when it was applied to #84?

MJ B)

PS. Unless there was a major problem, #84 will go out tommorrow. Don't know what time!

Why for do they put acid on trains if it takes off paint? No wonder they have to keep changing paint schemes all the time.

The acid doesnt usually take the paint off, its only taking the paint off these special wraps. The regular paint schemes hold up though, how i don't know, but they do.

battalion51 said:
The acid doesnt usually take the paint off, its only taking the paint off these special wraps. The regular paint schemes hold up though, how i don't know, but they do.
Maybe tri-rail will use the acid on there cars. There paint scheme looks pretty stupid to me. IIRC they used a wrap for it.

battalion51 said:
I think the nose looks stupid with the normal pain scheme, something should cover it up.
The reason why it has to stay that way is so you can ID it's Amtrak in Track warrent Control areas.Plus you always ID a train from the front so Amtrak would still have to be apinted on the front along with the # of the enigine. :)

Back