Advice for planning an Empire Builder trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll tell you, while I was really looking forward to the snow and winter scenery of the Empire Builder - if you had told me just a few days ago I'd be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras, I wouldn't have believed you.

But arrived last night, stayed out til 3am eating poboys and watching impromptu street parades. Went out for breakfast this morning, but never made it to breakfast cause we stopped to watch the amazing parade.

Now sitting in the New Orleans Amtrak Station - eating hot plates from a grocery nearby, and, to keep the thread Amtrak related - the staff here is amazing. Super into the Mardi Gras spirit, lots of beads and stuff, extra sweets in the Magnolia room.

Last edited:
Super into the Mardi Gras spirit, lots of beads and stuff, extra sweets in the Magnolia room.
That's great to hear! I've read/heard/watched other trip reports from people taking Amtrak from New Orleans, and they usually complained about the Magnolia Room in comparison with other sleeping car passenger lounges in other cities.

I mean, purely in comparison to some of the other lounges - that's probably fair. The Magnolia Room is basically private space with pretty basic stuff - more comfortable seating, a small cooler of water, and some chips and muffins set out. It's not staffed, and there's no bar.

But, at least today, the station was generally pretty festive, and the AC and comfier furniture in the Magnolia room were just what the doctor ordered right now.

They did come and get all the sleeper passengers from the Magnolia Room, and brought us directly to the boarding door, ahead of the rest of the train, so that was nice. Had a few people available to help with bags.PXL_20230221_180758682.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230221_180756652.jpg
    PXL_20230221_180756652.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Chicago has many Hotels in the Loop Area, ( not many Close to Union Station but Transportation is not that expensive in Chicago)and depending on the Time of Year, ( Summer is usually very Busy and Expensive)Events in the Windy City that are occurring,and when you book your Room, Prices can range from a Great Deal to Second Mortgage Territory.

All of the Major Chains are present, and you can Google up info on the Many Web Sites to help you pick the one best for your needs.

Disclaimer: I usually stay in the Hostel International on Congress, close to Michigan Avenue, which has shared Dorms and Private Rooms for very Reasonable Prices, Breakfast included.Recommended!
Bob - Do you pre-book your hostel ? I am worried about long haul train delays and when to book accommodations. I also am concerned about this for Portland OR on April 26-28 2023-due to Coast Starlight delays.

Bob - Do you pre-book your hostel ? I am worried about long haul train delays and when to book accommodations. I also am concerned about this for Portland OR on April 26-28 2023-due to Coast Starlight delays.
Yep, I book on the Hostel Intl Website,( I guarantee wirh a Credit Card), they're staffed 24/7, so even if your Train arrives into CHI ( or wherever) you'll be good to go!

Thanks - I was worried that I would lose the money for the hostel in case the train is a day late. I actually like the hostel atmosphere - it makes me feel globally connected-however since I am older and now need the bathroom more frequently at night I am hoping to get a private room with a bathroom. Happy trails!

Thanks - I was worried that I would lose the money for the hostel in case the train is a day late. I actually like the hostel atmosphere - it makes me feel globally connected-however since I am older and now need the bathroom more frequently at night I am hoping to get a private room with a bathroom. Happy trails!
Thanks!The HI in Chicago on Congress has an ensuite Bathroom in the Shared Rooms.

I usually book one of these due to the excellent Price,( around $35 a Night) but have stayed in a Private Room for $75.( Pre-Pandemic)

Back