Advice on cross-country trip!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceo418

Train Attendant
I know I've seen some of the information I'm asking about scattered around the site, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. I'm considering doing a one-way trip in March from Trenton, NJ to Tacoma, WA. I've been on the Empire Builder route several times, although the last time I rode it was nearly 15 years ago. I'm pretty much certain that I'll take the Capitol Limited to Chicago, so I guess I'm looking at two main options from there:

1. Take the California Zephyr all the way to Emeryville and connect there to the Coast Starlight. It looks like it's the shortest connection time assuming all the trains are on time.

2. Take the Texas Eagle to Los Angeles and then the Coast Starlight to Tacoma. If I do this, I need to be in 421 in order to stay on the same train, correct?

I'll be doing a mix of coach/sleeper/business class most likely, with the sleeper portion on the longest part of either route. I've never seen much of the Southwest United States and have both driven and taken the train through areas of the Rocky Mountains. So I guess my question would be which route do you think might be the better one to go on for this particular trip? I could also take the Empire Builder, but I'll probably set that one aside for another trip.

I know I've seen some of the information I'm asking about scattered around the site, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. I'm considering doing a one-way trip in March from Trenton, NJ to Tacoma, WA. I've been on the Empire Builder route several times, although the last time I rode it was nearly 15 years ago. I'm pretty much certain that I'll take the Capitol Limited to Chicago, so I guess I'm looking at two main options from there:

1. Take the California Zephyr all the way to Emeryville and connect there to the Coast Starlight. It looks like it's the shortest connection time assuming all the trains are on time.

2. Take the Texas Eagle to Los Angeles and then the Coast Starlight to Tacoma. If I do this, I need to be in 421 in order to stay on the same train, correct?

I'll be doing a mix of coach/sleeper/business class most likely, with the sleeper portion on the longest part of either route. I've never seen much of the Southwest United States and have both driven and taken the train through areas of the Rocky Mountains. So I guess my question would be which route do you think might be the better one to go on for this particular trip? I could also take the Empire Builder, but I'll probably set that one aside for another trip.
Option 1: Yes, that would be the most direct connection to the northbound Starlight

Option 2: You will want to be on #421 as you stated. While not a scenic as the Zephyr, the TE will give you an extra day on the train from Chicago to LA vs the Zephyr. With that connection, you will be able to travel on the Starlight during daylight along the coast and Salinas Valley. Once you get to Emeryville, the rest of the trip will be the same up to Tacoma.

I personally think that the Zephyr is the most scenic long distance train. I rate it over the Canadian even. I would reccomend that option.

The Sunset and the Chief both have some nice Southwest scenery. The Chief also has the historic Raton Pass.

The only negative,IMO,is the time of the CZ/CS connection ! If it were doable, I;d suggest flying to SEA/TAC & taking the CS-CZ-CL home!

Last edited by a moderator:
The only negative,IMO,is the time of the CZ/CS connection ! If it were doable, I;d suggest flying to SEA/TAC & taking the CS-CZ-CL home!
If on time, the #5 to #14 connection has a 6 hour gap...yes, late afternoon into the evening.

The #11 to #6 connection is only a 1 hour gap..not much time for delays unless a night in EMY is planned (is that guaranteed?).

Eastbound vs westbound on the CZ would be part of the equation.

Northbound on the CS would give you daylight going through the Cascades which would be a plus for me. Southbound you'd be running into darkness in the Cascades depending on time of year.

Chicago to LA on #3 or #1/421 would get you the entire Coast Starlight. #3 will be a tighter connection than #1/421.

It depends on what's more important for the OP. Rocky Mountains, or the Coast? Both trains spend at least a couple hours in their most scenic sections (9am to 2pm for the best of the Rockies westbound on the CZ, 12pm to 2pm for the Coast Starlight along undeveloped coastline). If the 11 to 6 connection is too tight at EMY, then just transfer at Martinez or Sacramento.

Northbound on the Starlight is much better for the mountain scenery. I prefer Westbound on the zephyr as well. It can get pretty dark going through the Rockies.

I feel like you should take the Texas Eagle since you've never seen the southwest. I'm all about new experiences. The Rockies would be a repeat for you.

You could take the Southwest Chief, but you'll be in darkness as you cross western New Mexico and Arizona. You'd still get to see a good bit of New Mexico, though, and the Raton and Glorieta Passes are both gorgeous.

Overall, I'd vote for the Texas Eagle to the Coast Starlight.

Im too lazy to look up the layover. But if you take the Zephyr I see no reason for going through Sacramento to Emeryville and then back to Sacramento on the Starlight.
Agreed, especially since the area around the station (Old Town, museum) in Sacramento is an agreeable place to spend a couple of hours while you wait.

Edit To Add: It makes more sense going the other way, though, as Sacramento is an oh-dark-thirty wakeup call if the southbound Starlight is on time.

Thank you for all the advice! I will be going Westbound and then flying back to NJ from SeaTac after visiting family for a few days in Tacoma. I think I'm learning towards the Texas Eagle at the moment because of the different scenery. Lots to consider!
default_smile.png

Chicago to LA on #3 or #1/421 would get you the entire Coast Starlight. #3 will be a tighter connection than #1/421.
Or if you plan for an overnight stay in Los Angeles a really long connection. You can also take a round trip to San Diego on the Surfliner that day as well.

I'd like to add my two penneth to this discussion and a view as a non American.

The South West is best seen from the Texas Eagle / Sunset, it's different to the Southwest Chief. But if you are looking for scenery that you imagine is the SW they are the trains for me. But it's not only scenery as the track gets very close to the Mexican border (just a few yards) and that has an interest all of it's own looking into the backyard of Mexico.

LA Union station is a wonder, from inside and outside. You also get to go to Philippe's to eat if you want, all within easy walking distance. If you want a spectacular (and free) view over all of LA just go to the top of City Hall, it's a great experience and an easy walk from the station. Don't worry about the homeless camped on the sidewalks around City Hall, they are more bothered about you than you should be of them. A nod and a hello as you walk past allows them to feel human, they really are no bother, just homeless.

From LA I would take the Pacific Surfliner to San Luis Obispo, sit on the left side but keep an eye on the right. The airforce base has some weird and wonderful buildings on their land, either futuristic or sinister. At SLO change for the Coast Starlight. Reasonable accommodation in SLO if you have to overnight and a very nice gentle small town feel to the place. There are a number of very good and reasonable eateries too, a couple very near the station.

Hope you have a great time, it's difficult not to feel good travelling through that scenery.

The Zephyr is definitely way more scenic than the TE, however the latter does have some very nice scenery west of San Antonio (mainly some cool desserts and rock formations), and offers an extra day on the train. The two routes are very different, but if you haven't taken either before, I would take the CZ instead. It is correct that if you take the Eagle, you'll need to be booked on #421 to have a one seat ride the whole way. Any other train number and you'll have to change cars in the middle of the night in San Antonio.

I just finally booked the cross country trip I wanted to do for years. I am taking train 5 west bound and got assigned bedroom E. Is this a good room? Also trying to figure out whether I want to come back east on the SWC or EB which will also determine which cities I visit on the west coast.

I just finally booked the cross country trip I wanted to do for years. I am taking train 5 west bound and got assigned bedroom E. Is this a good room? Also trying to figure out whether I want to come back east on the SWC or EB which will also determine which cities I visit on the west coast.

In my opinion, Bedroom E is the best for two people (I like room A for solo travel). Room E is near the center of the car for ride stability, and only has a neighbor on one side.

I think the Empire Builder has better scenery than the Southwest Chief.

Nice trip!:cool:

Take the Builder. Since you're going East I'd take the Seattle Section #8 which has the Diner and goes up Puget Sound and through the Cascades to Spokane..( It gets dark on the #28 Portland Section along the Columbia which is best ridden Westbound on #27 in Daylight.)

Bedroom E is fine.

Difficult choice between the Chief and the Builder. The scenery on the Builder is great but the mountain scenery ends at East Glacier on the second day and it is plains after that. The Southwest Chief scenery will last all of the second day.

I think I would lean toward the Southwest Chief. In addition to the scenery, it is clear from recent interviews that the train is still on Gardner and Anderson's hit list to be converted to train-bus-train so I would consider it somewhat endangered.

Hope you have a great trip.

In my opinion, Bedroom E is the best for two people (I like room A for solo travel). Room E is near the center of the car for ride stability, and only has a neighbor on one side.

I think the Empire Builder has better scenery than the Southwest Chief.

Being reminded of the Superliner sleeper car layout here ( http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html ), I'd agree room E would have the advantages of being in the middle of the car, and not being near the door and having to hear the train noise between cars whenever it opens up.

As for scenery, that depends what you want to see. Southwest scenery in New Mexico, Arizona, and southeast Colorado, along with the Raton and Glorieta Passes on train #4 (SW Chief). Or scenery through Washington state's mountains, along with also Glacier National Park (eastern assures you'll see all of the park, westbound doesn't), some parts of scenery through eastern Montana and western North Dakota, along with seeing the Mississippi River and nice hills and rock formations east and west of La Crosse, WI. Assuming you are taking CA Zephyr train 5 west, you'd have only something like a 50 minute time cushion to transfer from northbound Starlight #14 to Builder #28 in Portland, or if you want to transfer from #14 to #8(also Empire Builder east, both Seattle and Portland EB branches combine together in Spokane) in Seattle, you would have to overnight in Seattle to make that transfer. One last note for transfers, Starlight southbound #11 into LA would require an overnight transfer if you want to go onto eastbound SW Chief #4, and combined TX Eagle/Sunset Limited(#422) leaves 50 minutes later at 10pm, and would ONLY be an option on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. And like the other person said #422 would take one extra day(4 days, 3 days after you board the train) to go from LA to Chicago, vs. only 3(2 days after) on SW Chief eastbound train #4.

Back to scenery on Coast Starlight #14 (vs. #11 south), you'd see some nice mountain scenery going north, including around Dunsmuir, CA northbound to Portland. Including going through Crater Lake National Park. And for now since Cascades and Coast Starlight still haven't been rerouted around Tacoma because of that Cascades derailment a few years ago, you'd get some nice water scenery(I think for Puget Sound?) around Tacoma. Of course if you were to go south to LA on #11, you would see interesting Pacific coast scenery, along with going through a California military base at one brief point. Honestly, I think any of those 3 routes(#422, #4, and #8/28) will have interesting scenery, and it depends what you want to see going back. Oh yeah last notes about the 2 Empire Builder branches, the one out of Portland(#28) will have scenery paralleling the Columbia River, and will only have the observation/sightseer car, a cafe car (till the combining of cars in Spokane), and boxed meals instead of dining car meals if you're in a sleeper. Builder train #8 out of Seattle will have a dining car, no observation/sightseer car till Spokane, and scenery of the Washington mountains.

thanks for the suggestions. I will be spending some time in the Bay Area before proceeding either north or south. I also have some family members that may be flying out to meet me so I want to check with them too on input as to whether to go north or south. The possibility of alterations to the southwest chief is also somewhat factoring into my thinking of what to do, but I also have to figure out which areas we want to visit.

thanks for the suggestions. I will be spending some time in the Bay Area before proceeding either north or south. I also have some family members that may be flying out to meet me so I want to check with them too on input as to whether to go north or south. The possibility of alterations to the southwest chief is also somewhat factoring into my thinking of what to do, but I also have to figure out which areas we want to visit.
If you're staying in San Francisco, you could also take the San Joaquin to LA (bus transfer at Bakersfield) and you could get on the SWC the same day if you take the first San Joaquin train of the day. That is what I did on my last train trip 2 weeks or so ago.

If you're staying in San Francisco, you could also take the San Joaquin to LA (bus transfer at Bakersfield) and you could get on the SWC the same day if you take the first San Joaquin train of the day. That is what I did on my last train trip 2 weeks or so ago.

It’s sounding like we are leaning towards Southern California for the second part of the trip which means the SWC. I will have to do this again sometime so I can ride the Builder. Not if I’m going to do a one way rental car or take the Coast Starlight from SF to LA - going to depend on what my family does .

I have rooms E and D on the two main parts of the trip - E west on the Zephyr and D east on the Chief. Any advice on how to deal with rattling door noise? I have heard that can be a problem in the bedrooms.

Back