Advise for SAC CS/CZ Overnight Connection?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAMISSY55

Service Attendant
Hi all. I feel certain that I have read previous threads and posts concerning my upcoming situation. But, I have been searching multiple search terms for over an hour and cant seem to find what I thought I had read! So, despite having been asked and answered before...I would appreciate your input.

Background info:

In light of all the discussion forecasting the potential demise of LD trains, I decided to take the CZ & CONO, rather than the SWC & CONO back to Mississippi after my next trip to Southern California. On this trip (as well as the vast majority of my train travel), I will be traveling solo. I enjoy experiencing new situations, meeting new people and am comfortable traveling on my own. However, in the past several years, health issues have limited the distance and pace that I can walk (especially when tired and/or stressed) and require (even my best days) assistance with baggage. Blessed are the Red Caps, for without them my train traveling days would be behind me!

My questions:

1. When arriving in Sacramento at about midnight (on a Saturday night), will there be Red Caps available to get my luggage from the train side to transportation to the hotel?

2. Which hotel would be the best to accommodate late arrivals and cooperation with transportation to and from the SAC station? In my case, the closest (or the least expensive) may not be the most advantageous, because Ill need to take a shuttle, taxi, etc. and require assistance with handling luggage.

3. Any recommendation for taxi service, if shuttle is not available from the hotel I choose? Note: I have not done Uber thus far because I do not like having to download an app to my phone in order to avail myself of their services.

Thank you in advance for any information you can share!

I don't know about the Red Caps, but I just had a great stay at the Hyatt Regency Sacramento. There seem to be plenty of taxis, and the station is about 15 minutes away from that hotel.

SAC doesn't have Redcaps but Station staff is available to Transport you to the Station from the Platform via the Looong Underground Tunnel. Be sure and have Amtrak note this on your Rez and let your SCA and Conductor know before arrival into SAC @ O-Dark-Thirty.

Since SAC is a Large City,and is the State Capitol of California, there should be Taxis and plenty of Ride Share Vehicles available on Call.

Also the Light Rail stops in front of the Station but there will be no assistance boarding/ detraining on these Trains.

The Vagabond Inn is across the Street from tbe Station and is a perfectly adequate 1980s affordable Style Hotel to spend the night.( the Great California Rail Museum is also close by, walkable the next day from the Hotel.

Use any of the Many travel sights to look @ Hotels if you'd prefer something away from the Station or Fancier( Pricey). I like Kayak and trivago best.Theres all the Chains available too.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Sacramento there are attendants with golf carts that can take you from the train to the station. I do not know about to the taxi/shuttle.

Another hotel is the Embassy Suites in nearby (very close) Old Sacramento. It also includes a real cooked to order breakfast.

My favorite stay in Sacramento is on the Delta King. It’s the old steamboat docked in Old Town and is now a hotel.

Will you be staying just the one night? I stayed at the Embassy Suites and loved it--they gave me a half-day rate for the extra night I had booked because I was leaving late (I was leaving on the midnight one), so although it was an expensive hotel, if you are arriving that late and leaving the next morning, you could ask if they would do that for you. They have a shuttle that would be fine for you in the morning, but it ends around 10:00 p.m.

Can you stay two nights? If so, the railroad museum is wonderful. Plus, the Embassy Suites has a lovely patio looking over the river--morning coffee out there (when it's beautifully cool) and looking right at that lovely Tower Bridge is a terrific way to start the day. (If you can stay two nights, ask for the River View side--it's worth the extra price, although not if you'll just be there one night in the dark--the other side looks over a freeway.)

I had lunch on the Delta King, and although I agree with JRR that it is a fascinating hotel, I had trouble up and down the stairs, even without mobility issues.

Be careful when walking, especially in Old Town if you go to the railroad museum, of the historic bricks--they have tried to make it authentic, and the historic bricks sticking up all over are authentic but, at least for me, a tripping hazard I had to be constantly aware of.

I failed to mention the mobility issues of the Delta King. My bad.

We took two trips on it’s twin, the Delta Queen, on the Mississippi, Ohio and Tennessee Rivers.

Thank you for quick replies. The Vagabond Inn sounds like it would suit me fine. However, my concern is that it is too close. That may sound strange, but it seems it actually may be harder to get my luggage to a hotel that is in easy walking distance from the station, than it would be to a hotel a mile or more away. I could walk (with my cane) across the street to the Vagabond Inn, but couldnt handle transporting my large rolling suitcase, a duffle type bag that sits on top, and my backpack, even that relatively short distance. So perhaps the Embassy Suites, where Mystic River Dragon stayed, would work out better in my situation.

Currently, I am only staying one night in order to make the change from the CS to the CZ. But now, I am considering modifying my plans to make it two nights. That idea has many benefits, not the least of which would be that I would be more rested when I start my much anticipated journey on the CZ.

Regarding getting a taxi upon arrival: Are there generally taxis waiting outside the station, or would I have to call to arrange a pick up?

Thank you for all your help!

Have you considered staying in Emeryville instead of Sacramento? If it is just for one night (you're not going to the rail museum), then the arrival time for the Starlight is much more reasonable. There are hotels near the station, and the trains load and unload just a short distance from the street (unlike Sacramento).

Have you considered staying in Emeryville instead of Sacramento? If it is just for one night (you're not going to the rail museum), then the arrival time for the Starlight is much more reasonable. There are hotels near the station, and the trains load and unload just a short distance from the street (unlike Sacramento).
I agree that's a good plan if you're just staying over a single night. Amtrak will almost always default to making Sacramento your connection point, but if you book it as a "multi-city trip" online or if you call a reservations agent at 800-USA-RAIL, you can customize your itinerary more.

I did consider EMY, but I think I opted for SAC because it is considered by some here to be safer for a female traveling alone. But, it may be worth reconsidering.

Essentially, the best place for me to spend the night will be where services (Amtrak personnel, taxi, shuttle, hotel personnel, etc.) are available to provide assistance from trainside upon arrival on #14 CS, then to a hotel, and then back again trainside to board the #6 CZ,...If that is possible.

I am open to suggestions. Thanks!

If you stay in emy I know from personal experience that the Hilton garden inn offered shuttle service on weekdays. Not sure how late at night but have used it to get to the station to catch the cz. I’ve used Lyft too on Saturday and Sunday when there is no no shuttle.

FWIW, there are usually taxis waiting at the station, at least in the evenings. Earlier in the day it's hit and miss. But one will show up eventually.

Uber works really well there, too, and is usually cheaper.

The Vagabond Inn provides shuttle service, I believe.

With luggage you might want to use it but hardly necessary otherwise. as far a walk goes. It is so close. Also Vagabond might not run the shuttle that late at night.

Vagabond is an excellent hotel. Top notch service. Very clean and comfortable room. I arrived on the south bound CS and got there early in the morning. I was able to get breakfast at the hotel that morning. Breakfast buffet was excellent. And they got me an early morning check in. It doesn't look like much from the outside and the rooms are a bit dated but that did not bother me. I highly recommend.

The other thing is it is very close to Old Town. I felt very comfortable walking to and from Old Town at night. Though I would caution not to stray too far wast of the hotel at night. Not much reason to go that way anyway since the pickings are pretty slim restaurant wise in that direction. There is a small store just east of the hotel on 1st street as I recall.

Tip: Ask for a room "in the back" much quieter back there. The hotel's one and only problem is its proximity to the freeway. But a room in the back fixes all of that.

One humorous note on the breakfast buffet. They label EVERYTHING. OK the eggs, sausage etc are labeled. That makes sense they are under a metal cover. But the toaster is labelled Toaster!
default_wink.png
I forget what else was labeled like that but I got a big kick out of it.
default_wink.png

Back